• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2792 1 year ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

No, I've triple checked. It's wired correctly.
I realize that voltages will be higher with no load. But at the transformer 48v coil I have 55vac.
I get 75v on the flipper voltage with both flippers held. It should be 50 but maybe it's not enough load for a good reading? I wonder what other people show for these voltages.
I've been told these numbers are normal but I have my doubts. If the schematics say 50v how is the technician supposed to validate that when the "unloaded" voltage reads 75v? Seems suspect to me.

Have you checked for "low line" transformer primary select configuration? The readings you are getting are suggestive of this.

transformer_primary_select.jpgtransformer_primary_select.jpg

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Voltage_Selection_Jumper_Pinout

VAC readings are different from VDC readings because of the waveform. If you really want to get into it then lookup "RMS voltage" and enjoy having your head hurt.

#2794 1 year ago

Well. You got me. The only other thing would be to check your line voltage. It might be higher than what you are expecting it to be. A transformer is simply using ratios of windings to change VAC levels. If you're reading 55VAC at the secondary and the winding ratio is correct (assumed to be since you are probably using an OEM unmodified transformer) then the VAC into the primary must be the source.

1 month later
#2830 1 year ago

de_psu_backbox_wiring.jpgde_psu_backbox_wiring.jpgde_psu_schematic.jpgde_psu_schematic.jpg

Quoted from snyper2099:

Someone has added a green? wire. That green wire is not normal?

The green wire is factory.

3 months later
#2861 9 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Normally, 3 lugs on a flipper coil means there are 2 diodes at the lugs, not one as shown in your picture.

Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

There is one diode on *both* coils.

These are serial (versus parallel) wound flipper solenoids. You should double check your wiring and resistances.

#2863 9 months ago

Aside from needing to redo wiring is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't just put 11630 coils in it? These coils aren't the correct 22-750/30-2600 coils that the service bulletin calls for anyway, and I have some extra 11630s laying around.

The manual shows that the flipper should be a serial wound solenoid.

laser_war_flipper_wiring_diagram.jpglaser_war_flipper_wiring_diagram.jpg

FL-11630 has a power winding about 4.5 Ohms and a hold winding about 150 Ohms. I think that 23-600 is going to be around 4 Ohms and that 30-2600 is going to be around 150 Ohms. Measure the resistance to be sure. The 19-400 is going to be MUCH less. Probably around 3 Ohms I'd guess. I think that kind of power winding was used with 25V flippers instead of 50V flippers. The 30-750 I'm not sure about but definitely less than 150 Ohms. I think 23-600/30-2600 is going to be comparable to FL-11630.

In the end, it doesn't matter if it's serial or parallel. As long as it's wired correctly and of comparable power and winding resistance.

My Laser War came with (and still has) parallel wound flipper solenoids installed.

#2865 9 months ago

That bulletin lists an upper flipper for Laser War but it doesn't have one. Don't trust what you read there simply because that could be one of a few other errors. Whenever I assess a document I look for consistency with expected. If I find an inconsistency then that casts doubt on the trustworthiness of the document.

23-600/30-2600 94.5, 2.4
19-400/30-750 25.6, 0.6
11630 172.2, 4.3

I always thought that FL-11630 is the same as 23-600/30-2600 but since don't have (and have never used) a 23-600/30-2600 I can't say for sure. Reference: https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html for another source of information.

As for whether or not the 11630 would be acceptable..... I'm not sure.

Play the game with one. I have the FL-11630 installed in mine and I get airballs hitting the glass from the yellow standup targets so it's plenty strong. I also get airballs when it bounces off the ramp. Then again, I rebuilt the flipper assembly and have a cleared PF that still shines even after about 1,000 plays from the local show over the years.

That reading of 2.4/94.5 seems off to me. That seems even stronger than a FL-11629 which is going to be far too much power for Laser War.

#2867 8 months ago

Do you mind showing me your wiring with your 11630s?

If you learn to read the wiring diagram you won't need anybody sharing any images with you. The skill translates to being to read any other wiring diagram in any other manual for any other game.

Here is the wiring diagram for a parallel wound flipper solenoid.

parallel_wound_flipper_solenoid_wiring.jpgparallel_wound_flipper_solenoid_wiring.jpg

It is the same for ANY Williams System 11A/B/C game. Since Data East moved away from parallel wound flipper solenoids to a single winding under the Deger board control, you can't use most of the Data East manuals.

If you still can't figure it out then I will have to go to where the machine is located to get an image. This is why learning to read the manual and wiring diagram will give you the ability to "help yourself" instead of relying on others.

#2869 8 months ago

I often forget that not everyone has their games right next to them to reference so my apology for assuming.
As mentioned I'm fairly certain vid's guide would have been enough, I'm sure I'll be fine.
Thanks for the diagram. No picture necessary.

If your collection is accurate then you can look at your Taxi. It is a parallel wound flipper solenoid. The wiring for the serial wound flipper solenoid is the same as the wiring for the parallel wound flipper solenoid. Voltage (power) goes to the lug at the banded end of the diode. Drive (ground) goes to the lug at the non-banded end of the diode. The capacitor is connected between the center lug and the non-banded end of the diode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=dumbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.