• Yes, I have one. 567 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 974 votes by 932 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2282 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JDub03.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1164 5 years ago

Hey all, I have a Rocky and Bullwinkle I recently got on trade. It is in okay shape and getting better by the day, but the left VUK for Aesop is really inconsistent. Sometimes the ball barely comes up, other times it shoots up and over thru the outlane. Anyone else run into this? I tried bending the scoop down a bit and that didn't help. New VUK or inconsistent power going to it? Thanks for any tips.

2 weeks later
#1172 5 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I put a piece of thin clear plexi from asop plastic to sling plastic hard to tell it’s even their. But does a great job stoped all those unwanted drains!

I just did the exact same thing three days ago!! Great minds think alike. On mine, I think it's inconsistent power getting to the coil. So until I get time to dig in, this temp fix works for me. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

1 year later
#1743 3 years ago

Anyone know if the Stern half moon button/cabinet protectors will work on a DE cab?

1 month later
#1847 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question for those that have experimented; any thoughts on a set of replacement 4 x 10 speakers for Pre-DMD Data East? I just tried some generic 4 x 10's and they were horrible. Just looking for a set comparable to the originals, I have one that has the slightest buzz and its irritating.

The buzz isn't usually because of the speakers, it's because of poor grounding on Data East machines. Some are much worse than others. I would look into the threads there first. That being said, I just did a speaker swap on a newer DE (Tommy) over the weekend. Huge difference but a few things to note. Get 4 Ohm speakers, if you crank the sound up a lot, you may need a separate amp to push to the speakers. This can get complicated, I am not familiar with the older DEs to help there. But if you do a seperate amp, you will likely get rid of all the hum as well.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Hum is not the issue, physical defect in the cone itself with age.

Are the replacement speakers 4 Ohm? when you say they sound horrible, as in tinny or can't get much volume? What is the wattage ranking on the replacements? My guess is the sound board may not be able to drive quality sound to the newer speakers. The originals are around 10 watt at most if I recall. My Tommy subwoofer was only a 10 watt 8inch paper cone. So quality sound and power aren't in the older machines. If you can find a low watt 4x10 4 Ohm speaker that would probably be your safest bet. Lower end is probably better, hope this helps.

#1863 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Yes 4 ohm
2) Both, I had to crank up the power so much all you could hear was the center speaker.
3) Yes originals are 10 watts
I'm looking at this one right now;
amazon.com link »
Sensitivity: 91 dB frequency response: 38-23,000 Hz recommended power range: 2-35 watts RMS
Power looks like it is in the sweet spot, not going to find much in that range.

That makes sense, probably not enough power from the sound card to drive decent quality to the bigger speakers. Those Boss speakers should do the trick.

#1865 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The Pioneer speakers I linked too on Amazon look better for the application, based on specs

Yep, sorry I meant the Pioneer. One thing to note, the tweeter may stick out a bit. So you may need to add a small spacer when mounting.

4 weeks later
#1947 3 years ago
Quoted from swfour:

Hello, new DE owner - Tommy. Love it except...
I think I'm hitting the Skill Shot but the display reads "Skill Shot Missed" and gives me only 1 Mil. points rather than higher (20Mil I think). Weird thing is, when the ball drops in regular play I'm getting points so the ball is getting read. Somehow, I'm not getting Skill Shot. Any ideas?
Not a timing issue - I place a ball immediately in the hole. Still, "Skill Shot Missed". Some setup issue maybe? I don't see a Skill Shot adjustment.

Look under the PF, the switch for the skillshot may have a loose wire. I had to reflow mine (you will see a random wire in that area) and it was working again.

2 weeks later
#1975 3 years ago

Hey everyone. Any interest in a backlit frame for DE translites? I reached out to Brad at Lit Frames about seeing if he can make them. He would need an order of 12 to come out even. I was planning to light/frame one of my Tommy translites. Anyone else here have interest in something like this for our DE family? You can see his work here:

https://www.litframes.com/

4 months later
#2157 3 years ago

Hey everyone, having a brutal time getting a Star Wars up and running. Can anyone tell me which pin on the PPB J5 connection supplies power to the GI under the playfield? I am rebuilding the connectors and it keeps going in and out. But I can't tell which wire it is from the spec sheet. TIA.

#2161 3 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Make sure you check your Z connectors. They were causing problems on mine.

Good call, I reseated all of them and they actually look pretty good compared to the boards. Still nothing and now my coils and flippers are messed up, so a switch is off somewhere. Sucks trying to bring one back to life in this bad of shape....the path continues!

1 week later
#2168 3 years ago

DE Star Wars
Rebuilt the connectors on the PSU and the PPB (several were burnt). Still no GI or door lighting (which is why I rebuilt the connectors, they were working at times). But now the coils and switches are going nuts. I go to diagnostic and it goes crazy, says they are all going off at the same time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JDub03.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club?tu=JDub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.