• Yes, I have one. 356 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 169 votes
    28%
  • Considering buying one or more. 56 votes
    9%
  • No, never 32 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 613 votes by 597 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 382 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4167D3CE-13C3-40C4-8126-2F0D8B1A0B1C (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 4.28.23 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 3.48.19 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 3.55.02 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 4.01.46 PM (resized).png
20190809_162617 (resized).jpg
20190809_162606 (resized).jpg
20190809_162309 (resized).jpg
20190809_162257 (resized).jpg
20190809_162248 (resized).jpg
IMG_7264 (resized).JPG
IMG_1667 (resized).JPG
IMG_1666 (resized).JPG
0BDE6503-6D8B-4635-9B19-6B36817A8F53 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1423 (resized).JPG
IMG_1421 (resized).JPG

There are 1311 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.
#351 3 years ago

Periscope topper is awesome!

#352 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I just finished my Torpedo Alley. Being a submariner I knew I'd like the finsihed product but didn't know I'd like it this much. Added the custom parascope topper with a blue GI and two flashers. After two months of love (and money) it ready to play.

IMG_0568_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0567_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0570_(resized).JPGIMG_0572_(2)_(resized).JPG

WOW!!! More pictures please.

#353 3 years ago

Here's a few more pictures of the finished game.

I was able to get an entire set of NOS plastics (except the mountains of course). All LED, super bands, 100% working, new translite and all the normal stuff. There are some normal tweaks needed but gosh dang it's fun to play. All the metal was polished and came our great. New speakers and wire connectors were there were hot spots.

I have extra TA parts if anyone looking for plastics and stuff.

But the the best part, being a submariner (EM1(SS) Casey - USS Guardfish, Puffer and the Plunger).

IMG_0621_(resized).JPG

IMG_0622_(resized).JPG

IMG_0620_(resized).JPG

IMG_0623_(resized).JPG

IMG_0625_(resized).JPG

IMG_0624_(resized).JPG

#354 3 years ago

Beautiful restore on the Torpedo Alley. Very creative topper!

#355 3 years ago

That looks like a fun game and I love the art on the pf. Hows the audio?

#356 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

I just finished my Torpedo Alley. Being a submariner I knew I'd like the finsihed product but didn't know I'd like it this much. Added the custom parascope topper with a blue GI and two flashers. After two months of love (and money) it ready to play.

IMG_0568_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0567_(1)_(resized).JPGIMG_0570_(resized).JPGIMG_0572_(2)_(resized).JPG

absolutely awesome.

#357 3 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

Laser war and Secert service!...
Never played ether, but I know that they are the best!

Laser Wars is a fantastic game!!

4 weeks later
#358 3 years ago

Got a Monday Night Football today, I am really enjoying the older Data East titles. This game is a blast! Will be fixing it soon, going to play it for a while...

20160510_185854_(resized).jpg

20160510_185826_(resized).jpg

20160510_185810_(resized).jpg

#359 3 years ago

Troubleshooting a Hook machine.

1) I initially installed a Rottendog MPU along with all of my other changes(Rottendog playfield power, Rottendog Flipper board, New Pinsound Board) and the Pinsound board worked initially. Then after turning the machine off, it would only work randomly. It appears that the Rottendog MPU and the Pinsound board don't always communicate. I contacted PinSound and they are working on a firmware update to make the board more responsive to recognizing the Rottendog MPU each time since I wasn't the only person with this problem. So, I repaired my Data East MPU board and switched back for the interim. That board works with the PinSound board every time. So clearly there is a compatibility issue between the Rottendog MPU and the PinSound board based on that troubleshooting. Just mentioning that here in case anybody else runs into the same problem.

2) I've noticed that my rope lights don't work exactly as they should when I go into test mode or when the machine is running. They operate as OFF/OFF/1/2&3 SIMULTANEOUSLY instead of OFF/1/2/3. I've seen posts about this that talk about a short between two of the strands causing this problem in addition to posts about the driver board for those lights getting fried. However, this is the strange part. When the Rottendog MPU board was in the backbox, the rope lights worked exactly as they should OFF/1/2/3 without doing anything to the lights or to the special board for the rope lights. As soon as I went back to the Data East board, it was back to OFF/OFF/1/2&3 SIMULTANEOUSLY. That makes me think that there isn't a short or a problem with the special board but instead there is a problem in my Data East MPU board.

3) When I received the pin, the knocker had been disconnected and the coil was sitting in the bottom (without any of the rest of the knocker mechanism). The coil had a melted coil sleeve in it. I purchased a new knocker and installed it and it worked fine. Of course, I had already replaced my power supply with Rottendog and the playfield power supply with rottendog before I ever tried this new knocker. However, since I've been having the sound cutout problem with my pinsound board, I decided to put my old data east power supply back in to see if the cutout problem went away. This would tell me if there was the regulated/unregulated 12v issue causing my sound problems. However, with the old power supply back in, the knocker went crazy and started pounding away nonstop from the moment I hit the start button to try it all out. I turned the machine off and on and had the same problem again, so I just took the data east power supply out and put the rottendog back it and then the problem was gone.

What do you think?

#360 3 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

What do you think?

Had similar issues, knocker and color DMD issues with the Rottendog boards, switched to Xpin boards much more compatible for DE games!

#361 3 years ago

New product for Batman, Checkpoint, Hook, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Replaces Data East Display P/N 520-5042-00

128x16 LED DE displays are now available.
http://bostonpinballcompany.com/Data_East_Displays.htm

Xpin's 128x16 LED DE displays due out in the summer 2016
http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd2048/

#362 3 years ago

Help with hook pinball rope lights. It's not a short or a problem with the rope light driver board. It's a problem at the MPU board.

Advice? It appears that when the correct rope light strand is supposed to light that the output for that pin from the MPU board changes from 5v to .1v
My pins do this:
Off: 5v, 5v, 5v
Strand 1 logic: .4v, .4v, 5v causing strands 1 and 2 to light
Strand 2 logic: .4v, .4v, 5v causing strands 1 and 2 to light
Strand 3 logic: 5v, 5v, 0.1v causing strand 3 to light correctly
I traced this back across capacitors and RA3 back to pins 10,11,12 on the 7segment PIA chip which is putting out the same erroneous voltages during strand 1 and 2 logic
I put a new 7 segment PIA chip in and have same problem. Not sure how to trace further back from here.

#363 3 years ago

My latest project...

DSC_2825_(resized).JPG

#364 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My latest project...

What is it you're doing?

#365 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My latest project...

Are you clear coating the playfield this way? Ay Caramba

#366 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What is it you're doing?

I'm taking the Treasure Cove polishing kit to the PF

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Got a Monday Night Football today, I am really enjoying the older Data East titles. This game is a blast! Will be fixing it soon, going to play it for a while...

Where did you pick that machine up from? I sold mine a while back, have regretted it ever since. I'll have another...some day.

#368 3 years ago

I finished transferring the decals to the new ramp today.

What a PITA.

DSC_2847_(resized).JPG

#369 3 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Troubleshooting a Hook machine.
1) I initially installed a Rottendog MPU along with all of my other changes(Rottendog playfield power, Rottendog Flipper board, New Pinsound Board) and the Pinsound board worked initially. Then after turning the machine off, it would only work randomly. It appears that the Rottendog MPU and the Pinsound board don't always communicate. I contacted PinSound and they are working on a firmware update to make the board more responsive to recognizing the Rottendog MPU each time since I wasn't the only person with this problem.

I have a Rottendog MPU and Pinsound board and have the same problem on my DE Star Wars.

Sometimes I have to turn it on 3 or 4 times before the sound works.

#370 3 years ago

I repaired many DE games (with the original DE power supply) that did not boot up or randomly reset during gameplay/attract mode. I suggest replacing the C2 (100 uf use either 35v or 50 electrolytic capacitor) on the power supply. Due to age and heat from the large heat sink that is above it, it will fail at some point. Replace it now and you'll have less issues with your game later.

#371 3 years ago

Hey guys, my Data East simpsons has a slight problem with the left flipper. Every once and awhile the flipper will just stop working. I tried adjusting the switch itself but it still does it. Do you think this problem is the switch itself? Or possible something else. Thanks for any advice. Ron

IMG_4051_(resized).jpeg

#372 3 years ago
Quoted from Shock-King:

Hey guys, my Data East simpsons has a slight problem with the left flipper. Every once and awhile the flipper will just stop working. I tried adjusting the switch itself but it still does it. Do you think this problem is the switch itself? Or possible something else. Thanks for any advice. Ron

Yeah, you may have a problem with your End of Stroke switch on the flipper coil assembly. Lightly sand the EOS switch with fine sandpaper and make sure the contacts are touching when the flippers are at rest.

#373 3 years ago

I have a problem with my R&B, the i witnessed the same problem on a Lethal Weapon at the VFW show. When i get a lot going on, multiball, etc, i lose the display. Sometimes i still get some animations, just no scores. Most of teh time, nothing. Until i lose the ball, then it shows Sherman doing the totals, then when the next ball starts, all is fine again. Ideas... I have recently installed an Xpin power supply, which seemed to make the problem less, but still there. I have to repin some connectors, and maybe that is it, just haven't done it yet. Thought i'd see if others have had the same issue and what fixed it.

#374 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have a problem with my R&B, the i witnessed the same problem on a Lethal Weapon at the VFW show. When i get a lot going on, multiball, etc, i lose the display. Sometimes i still get some animations, just no scores. Most of teh time, nothing. Until i lose the ball, then it shows Sherman doing the totals, then when the next ball starts, all is fine again. Ideas... I have recently installed an Xpin power supply, which seemed to make the problem less, but still there. I have to repin some connectors, and maybe that is it, just haven't done it yet. Thought i'd see if others have had the same issue and what fixed it.

One of 2 things I would suspect. Either it is one of the 2 ribbon cables or the DMD controller board is becoming an issue.

I would start with the ribbon cables. Reseat them, both sides, not just at the DMD controller, to the DMD and to the MPU boards as well. If that doesn't help, try wiggling the ribbon cables near the connectors while some is test playing the game or just hitting different playfield switches. This is the best way to pinpoint a ribbon cable issue. Most of the time I found the small ribbon cable from the DMD to the DMD controller is the issue.

On the DMD controller, you can wiggle the 2 pin power connector (with red/black wires). Sometimes the issue is one of the 2 wires become loose IDC connector. Other possible problem is broken solder joints on the male 2 pin power connector. Would not hurt to resolder these on the back side of the DMD controller board.

#375 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

One of 2 things I would suspect. Either it is one of the 2 ribbon cables or the DMD controller board is becoming an issue.
I would start with the ribbon cables. Reseat them, both sides, not just at the DMD controller, to the DMD and to the MPU boards as well. If that doesn't help, try wiggling the ribbon cables near the connectors while some is test playing the game or just hitting different playfield switches. This is the best way to pinpoint a ribbon cable issue. Most of the time I found the small ribbon cable from the DMD to the DMD controller is the issue.
On the DMD controller, you can wiggle the 2 pin power connector (with red/black wires). Sometimes the issue is one of the 2 wires become loose IDC connector. Other possible problem is broken solder joints on the male 2 pin power connector. Would not hurt to resolder these on the back side of the DMD controller board.

Thanks for the advice, I have reseated both ends of the cable, but I will check the other things you suggest.

#376 3 years ago

Thanks for the help gave me a great place to start.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:One of 2 things I would suspect. Either it is one of the 2 ribbon cables or the DMD controller board is becoming an issue.

#377 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Where did you pick that machine up from? I sold mine a while back, have regretted it ever since. I'll have another...some day.

Where did I get it?.....I have a guy.
After a few weeks this game is still the favorite at my office. I am getting ready to thin out my games and have decided the two DE titles are staying. I'm so glad I the guy that was going to buy my Torpedo Alley fell through. I'm going to start cleaning the Monday Night Football soon.

20160510_185810_(resized).jpg

#378 3 years ago

Working on a friends Bttf. Gsme is now fully shopped and working 100%. The only other thing he asked was could I find weaker flipper coils. I know the ball goes flying off the drops and I've read other people complain as well. Anyone else go one size down? Results ok? Which coil would be good to swap to.

Thx

#379 3 years ago

My DE Simpsons is getting some much needed love...

DSC_2874_(resized).JPG

DSC_2875_(resized).JPG

DSC_2876_(resized).JPG

DSC_2877_(resized).JPG

DSC_2878_(resized).JPG

DSC_2879_(resized).JPG

DSC_2880_(resized).JPG

#380 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My DE Simpsons is getting some much needed love..

Had my DE Simpsons for a couple months now and I love it. Has a great layout to it and I like that it's not an automatic multiball.

#381 3 years ago

DE Simpsons is in my favorite top 10 (out of 36 I have) so it will stay for a long time. I had it a good 4 years already. I like playing it more than TSPP, which stands good reason I don't have that game.

#382 3 years ago

Some more love for my DE Simpsons...

Just got this back from powder coating.

Thanks Matt @ Back Alley Creations...great job!!!

DSC_2881_(resized).JPG

#383 3 years ago

Some more work on my DE Simpsons. Everything has been transferred over to the new ramp.

DSC_2882_(resized).JPG

DSC_2883_(resized).JPG

#384 3 years ago

That machine is looking amazing my friend!

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Everything has been transferred over to the new ramp.

Looking fantastic! This game has one of the biggest ramps ever.

#386 3 years ago

The finished "product".

DSC_2902_(resized).JPG

DSC_2901_(resized).JPG

DSC_2900_(resized).JPG

DSC_2899_(resized).JPG

DSC_2896_(resized).JPG

DSC_2895_(resized).JPG

DSC_2894_(resized).JPG

DSC_2903_(resized).JPG

#388 3 years ago

Thank you...I have exactly 98 hours into the restore.

That also includes designing/cnc machining the plastic protectors.

#389 3 years ago

Looks great. Do you have any probs with airballs off center drops? Working on a friends BTTF and it seems data east flippers are pretty strong and destroy drops and get lots of airballs...thx

#390 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks great. Do you have any probs with airballs off center drops? Working on a friends BTTF and it seems data east flippers are pretty strong and destroy drops and get lots of airballs...thx

Haven't played the game just yet...still doing minor tweaks.

I did install weaker flipper coils though.

#391 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Haven't played the game just yet...still doing minor tweaks.
I did install weaker flipper coils though.

Which ones. Let me know how they do

#392 3 years ago

indypinhead.

That Simpsons looks awesome. Great work!

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Do you have any probs with airballs off center drops?

My Simpsons has a metal deflector over the drops similar to Maverick; keeps the balls on the table.
Nice job on the restore!

#394 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

indypinhead.
That Simpsons looks awesome. Great work!

Thanks!!!!

#395 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

My Simpsons has a metal deflector over the drops similar to Maverick; keeps the balls on the table.
Nice job on the restore!

I wonder if that would fit on a bttf? any pics?

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I wonder if that would fit on a bttf? any pics?

You can see the metal flap over the pins in this pic. I can take a better one later.

20160528_201237_(resized).jpg

#397 3 years ago

Here's another

20160504_132159_(resized).jpg

#398 3 years ago

Damn, is that how that metal flap is supposed to work??!! I have the same one in my Simpsons but it's always been turned 180', sitting UNDER the plastic. Never occurred to me to turn it around. Duh! D'oh!

Indypinhead, is your Bleeding Gums Murphy plastic original or a reprint? Looks like his skin on yours is a solid brown ink, mine is yellow with a black halftone over it. Interesting, I guess there were at least two runs of plastics.

#399 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Interesting, I guess there were at least two runs of plastics.

Mine are repro. NOS have a hand drawn ID number on them. Repro have a "printed" number on them.

#400 3 years ago

Anyone selling. Would love this game for a while.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rockaway, NJ
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods
There are 1311 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside