• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 62.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

Ended up rewiring the harness from the transformer up to the back box. Found where there had been overheating in the past and came across a couple wires in the black conduit that had exposed wires I can't believe the game was even working. Someone had over fused it at some point and there must have been smoke rolling out of this thing.
Replaced that burned up power supply with a new one, and now I'm waiting on the left wire form to get back from powder coating.
I could use some replacement plastics for this game if anyone has some they want to sell.
Dan

IMG_20150725_144537.jpg

FYI, when you upload a picture there's a box you can select to rotate your picture.

#252 8 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Seeing as it's a Data East machine are you going to do the flipper mod? I have broken Robocop plastics as a result of the rocket flipper they put on the left side of their machines. Haven't been able to find replacements.

Is the mod to decrease flipper strength? I can see where it would be needed.

#253 8 years ago

I don't get this whole weaken the flippers stuff. I switched to superbands just to get some more oomph for my Checkpoint and I still get the odd weak fljp and the very rare barely a flip to the other flipper.
Must be the title. Although my brother never complains about his Simpsons flippers being too strong...

#254 8 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

Is the mod to decrease flipper strength? I can see where it would be needed.

Yeah. It's a common move by Data East owners. A quick search will yield dozens of threads on it, I'm sure. It's a known thing and huge culprit of every DE machine having broken plastics all over.

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Yeah. It's a common move by Data East owners. A quick search will yield dozens of threads on it, I'm sure. It's a known thing and huge culprit of every DE machine having broken plastics all over.

Just rebuilt my flippers on my JP. Before I thought they were too weak, and rebuilding still wouldn't be much of an improvement. The only time I could get up the ramp was with a nice clean shot. A lot of times it just never had enough power to make it all the way.

But after this flipper rebuild, they're almost too powerful. TONS of airballs, and the ball is hitting a rubber post, and jumping back completely over the wire form ramp that crosses the playfield.

#256 8 years ago

Having played many Dataeast machines over the years in the wild and now owning 4 of them I can see the air ball being an issue but really de-tune the flippers just because you don't use plastic protector washers or other protection on the machine, A must do on Dataeast since new plastics are not growing on trees.(Someone needs to remake these plastics) This is one of many things made Dataeast good. Played fast as to the slow Gottlieb,Williams/Bally. With the ramps on the machines sometimes it barley just enough to get it up the ramp unless you get the one spot the size of a atom where if flies. Yes I will agree that the plastics on the De machines are of cheap build quality not good as Williams stuff. Still not as crappy as the later bally stuff Like the party zone ramp you look at cross eyed and it breaks.

#257 8 years ago

Anyone know if JP has an option to set the strength on the flippers? I can check on my own, but currently the machine is down. I did do some tests last night, and I'm going to have to weaken my flippers for certain. It's not about broken plastics, it's about the ball jumping over everything. I've never seen it so bad. Machines I've played before, I'd have maybe one airball. This is every other flip. The upper right flipper is hitting the ball so hard, it's jumping over the right shoulder of the trex and landing in the helicopter lane. This was a few times.

#258 8 years ago

easy fix. Just put the next weaker coils in. Works great for me. Also put a clear deflector over the drop or stand up targets close to the flippers and it keeps the ball on the playfield. Must have on LW3 and Simpsons etc...

#259 8 years ago

Here's a question. If power has stopped to two coils, does that extra power go to the other coils?

Currently have VUK and Autoplunger problems, and the F8 fuse keeps blowing. But in my test last night, I noticed that the TRex diagnostics that perform every time you start up the machine was chomping much faster than normal. So is that extra un-used power also going to the flippers? Maybe that's why they're so powerful right now?

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Here's a question. If power has stopped to two coils, does that extra power go to the other coils?

No. The power will be in series to all the coils in the line. If power is broken due to a broken wire, you loose power to the remaining coils in the line.

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Currently have VUK and Autoplunger problems, and the F8 fuse keeps blowing

You need to test out the big TIP36C transistors on the PPB board (bottom left board in the backbox). Likely you have one or two that are shorted blowing out the fuse.

#262 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You need to test out the big TIP36C transistors on the PPB board (bottom left board in the backbox). Likely you have one or two that are shorted blowing out the fuse.

I believe you are right. Someone suggested replacing the TIP122. I did so just assuming it was bad. It may have been, but didn't fix the issue. I DMM tested the TIP36Cs, and the Q3 one tested differently than the others. And it just happens to be the VUK one. New TIP36C should be here friday.

#263 8 years ago

Just got a Robocop that needs to be restored! Can't wait! Got a NOS backglass from Mayfair Amusements now need a scan of the target practice plastic... anyone able to help me out there?

#264 8 years ago

Finally got my JP up and running again. Replaced all components connected to the VUK on the PPB Board. First few things like the TIP36C did nothing. Fuse kept blowing. So i decided to replace all the parts connected to the VUK.

The good news is, my flipper strength seems to be back to normal. No massive airballs like I was getting while the VUK was down. So it had to have been given more power to the flippers.

#265 8 years ago

I only have one and its not popular. TMNT
I'm planning on getting Star Wars and Simpsons when I Dave up.

20150721_215519.jpg20150721_215519.jpg

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Just got a Robocop that needs to be restored! Can't wait! Got a NOS backglass from Mayfair Amusements now need a scan of the target practice plastic... anyone able to help me out there?

I need them too. There's a big need for them. I need the plastics on the slings and the middle bank.

#267 8 years ago

Does anyone know how to upgrade the auto kicker on a tmnt pin. Can't figure it out I have the parts.

1 week later
#268 8 years ago

I've owned a Robocop, LAH, StarWars, StarTrek, TFTC, RR and PHO but they are all gone. I'm back in today with a Secret Service and its amazing, I never played it before and was really suprised how much fun it is. I'm looking for a Laser War

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I've owned a Robocop, LAH, StarWars, StarTrek, TFTC, RR and PHO but they are all gone. I'm back in today with a Secret Service and its amazing, I never played it before and was really suprised how much fun it is. I'm looking for a Laser War

Good ta have ya back.....probably just for a little while.

#270 8 years ago

I don't know, seem to be hanging on to them longer recently. Secret Service is great.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Secret Service is great.

After having my Laser War, I kinda wanted to try Secret Service and Torpedo Alley. Watching videos of them looked fun.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Do Sega games count?

My HUO Sega MS Frankenstein is Sega/Data East. All the boards are Data East.

#273 8 years ago

Guys, a quick tech question:

I"ve owned a GNR and now a Time Machine. On both pins, the laser kick is weak. I've inspected both, and can't seem to find anything mechanically wrong with the coil/assembly, sleeve, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. I'm starting to think it's the timing of the kick that causes a sometimes-weak kick. Perhaps the switch wire is being activated too early when the ball hits it, causing the ball not to be stuck at the right time, etc.

Any thoughts? These laser kicks are annoying to fix.

#274 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Guys, a quick tech question:
I"ve owned a GNR and now a Time Machine. On both pins, the laser kick is weak. I've inspected both, and can't seem to find anything mechanically wrong with the coil/assembly, sleeve, etc.
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. I'm starting to think it's the timing of the kick that causes a sometimes-weak kick. Perhaps the switch wire is being activated too early when the ball hits it, causing the ball not to be stuck at the right time, etc.
Any thoughts? These laser kicks are annoying to fix.

Any drag from the plunger inside the coil sleeve can slow it down. On either game, did you ever change the coil sleeve?

#275 8 years ago

No, no drag. The sleeve is good and the plunger moves freely.

I've read a lot about how fast the ball comes down that lane. If it comes down fast, the kickback will zing it out... but if slow, it's bobble it a bit. All has to do with the alignment of the switch arm.

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

No, no drag. The sleeve is good and the plunger moves freely.
I've read a lot about how fast the ball comes down that lane. If it comes down fast, the kickback will zing it out... but if slow, it's bobble it a bit. All has to do with the alignment of the switch arm.

....and the playfield incline I guess.....

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

After having my Laser War, I kinda wanted to try Secret Service and Torpedo Alley. Watching videos of them looked fun.

Laser war is a must have title for me, hopefully it will come up soon for sale. Torpedo Alley I've never heard of before but looks pretty cool. Time to find one. Secret Service is highly recommened

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I had an issue with a WCS where someone put a regular playfield switch wireform on that kickback that allowed the kicker to activate too soon. The correct one was nothing like what was installed. So I can imagine the manual would show what the wireform should look like on the DE games you mentioned.

#279 8 years ago

Still looking for a undamaged checkpoint ramp.
Still....

#280 8 years ago

I made a thread for this but figured I'll post it here as well, I got a Tilt Reset message today on my Secret Service the game just stops and that message is displayed, you have to turn off and on to start a game again, I can't find what that error means anywhere and just played a full game now and it didn't happen? I don't want to do damage to the boards or something, its not the tilt because that mechanism is missing in my game, just started today after 50 plus error free games? Anyway any advice is appreciated, and this game is highly, highly underrated. For its current price point I can't think of a better deal, for it to be in the 300's is pure horseshit. Thanks very much

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I made a thread for this but figured I'll post it here as well, I got a Tilt Reset message today on my Secret Service the game just stops and that message is displayed, you have to turn off and on to start a game again, I can't find what that error means anywhere and just played a full game now and it didn't happen? I don't want to do damage to the boards or something, its not the tilt because that mechanism is missing in my game, just started today after 50 plus error free games? Anyway any advice is appreciated, and this game is highly, highly underrated.

No damage would be done to continue playing it. Best thing to do first is to test out all the switches in the switch test and make sure all the switches record. Helps to know if it will narrow down being one switch, a whole row, or whole column.

1 month later
#282 8 years ago

I'm in with a WWFRR. Hopefully more to come - DEs are very underrated in my book.

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

DE Fans:
My collection currently consists of: Tommy, Guns-N-Roses, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Playboy 35th.
I have new vector artwork completed for the following CPR Repro Playfields:
Tommy, Guns-N-Roses, Star Trek
I'm currently working on the Playfield artwork for: DE Star Wars
If anyone has an NOS Playfield for the following DE Titles please PM me directly and I'll be happy to add them to our line-up.....
1. DE Batman Playfield
2. DE Rocky & Bullwinkle Playfield
3. DE Phantom of the Opera Playfield
4. DE Jurassic Park Playfield
5. DE Checkpoint Playfield
Also looking for source material for the following DE Plastics Sets ( NOS or Near Perfect Only! )
1. DE Batman
2. DE Rocky & Bullwinkle
3. DE Tommy
4. DE Checkpoint
I already have Playfield source material for DE Simpsons & Tales from the Crypt.
We are also doing Tales from the Crypt Plastics.....
Stu
CPR Art Director / Partner

DE Playfields_CPR.jpg

STU, are you still looking for these items?

#284 8 years ago

Just got in two more DE's - an R&B and a Tommy. Had totally forgotten what a great game Tommy is. Man is that thing fun.

IMG_5207.jpgIMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5205.jpgIMG_5205.jpg

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I really like GNR. Played it a few times. But really like that the music is dependant on gameplay. Not a fan of how Stern is doing current band pins. Where you select a song, and that's pretty much all you listen to while you play. I can do that with any pin. It's called a radio.
Currently on my second Data East Pin. Growing up, I always seemed to be attracted to Data East machines. Probably because they seemed to based off movies.
But I just sold my Laser War and bought a Jurassic Park.

Can't agree with you more regarding stern and new music based pins. If it's just a song playing without being dependent on the pin, what the hell is the purpose? Ex - metallica which I think is way overrated - how much better would it be if the music played along with your progress and score? lazy if you ask me!

#286 8 years ago

I should have posted this before, but important tip for all DE Club Members:

Replace your pop bumper spoons with Bally / Williams ones. Just the plastic spoon! It will vastly change your gameplay.

DE pop bumper spoons are shaped like a V, meaning to get them to move it requires a decent amount of force, which I believe is in large part why people say they "feel clunkier" than B/W games that only need a brush with a pop bumper to get it to fire. B/W spoons are in a U shape, which allows them to move easily.

If you change that, the pops behave totally differently and will work SO much better. I've done this with almost all my DE machines, and just realized I need to with the TFTC too.

Also reminder - TFTC and JP have new code. Check their threads for more info!

#287 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg

image_6.jpegimage_6.jpeg

image_7.jpegimage_7.jpeg

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg image_2.jpeg image_3.jpeg image_4.jpeg image_5.jpeg image_6.jpeg image_7.jpeg

Oh would you stop it.....you know your making people here seriously ill with beautiful pictures like that.

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh would you stop it.....you know your making people here seriously ill with beautiful pictures like that.

Hehe. I still can't believe I actually have this. I have a pristine cabinet as well. So 2016 will be the year of the CQ Tommy rebuild. I can't wait.

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hehe. I still can't believe I actually have this. I have a pristine cabinet as well. So 2016 will be the year of the CQ Tommy rebuild. I can't wait.

DANG!!! U DA MAN.

#291 8 years ago

I just got a phantom with heat warping on the playfield face. Does anyone know where to get a replacement insert or how to warp it back down?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#292 8 years ago

I really wish CPR made a phantom of the opera playfield. It's my favorite from the early 90s and I can't find a good playfield anywhere

#293 8 years ago

Hey guys, I have a thread going about trying to get my TMNT to boot up properly. I am dumbfounded and need some help from some Data East experts.

Here is a YouTube video of the start up

and here is a link to the pinside thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-will-not-boot

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had this thing for a couple of weeks now and we are dying to play it

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Gorgeous

#295 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Hey guys, I have a thread going about trying to get my TMNT to boot up properly. I am dumbfounded and need some help from some Data East experts.
Here is a YouTube video of the start up
» YouTube video
and here is a link to the pinside thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tmnt-will-not-boot
any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had this thing for a couple of weeks now and we are dying to play it

One of your coin door switches is stuck on. Other than that its doing exactly what mine does for a normal boot up.

Check your switches and see which one is stuck on. Should fix the scrolling of the menu upon boot.

#296 8 years ago

Could anyone who owns a Tommy machine help me out? If possible, I need the exact maximum height of the machine (NOT including legs) with the head folded down. I know it's likely between 30" and 32", but I'm trying to figure out if it'll vertically fit into certain cars when I pick mine up in few weeks (the seller didn't have the wrench to put the head down at my last visit ). Thanks in advance!

#297 8 years ago

I'm gonna plant my flag here. When I got into the hobby I was a hardcore B/W snob (it was obnoxious, looking back).

Have a mint JP and LAH now. Both keepers. Damn fine games, just as good as the B/Ws of the day.

TFTC and Tommy are now on my radar.

#298 8 years ago

Now the new code is out for TFTC, that game is gonna move up from sleeper status...

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Now the new code is out for TFTC, that game is gonna move up from sleeper status...

JP also has patch out.

#300 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

JP also has patch out.

Yes, that JP ROM patch is much appreciated. I was also a bit of a B/W snob for a few years, but after purchasing a really nice HUO JP this summer I found out that the DE games can also be a lot of fun so I recently picked up a TFTC as well.

Thanks Chad for the ROM code updates to freshen up our games.

Gord

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Apex, NC
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.