• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 62.
#2551 2 years ago

Looking to buy 1 520-5080-00 Solid State Flipper Board if anybody has one available!

#2552 2 years ago

Here’s my beautiful Jurassic Park.
I haven’t been a DE fan, but I always have liked their flippers.
But this Jurassic Park is a genuinely great game. But it feels like it has software issues sometimes, doesn’t really do what’s expected but can also be switches but I have checked them all and they are good.
Either way I have an issue I haven’t solved.
The flippers are great and strong. I’ve cleaned them and fixed EOS switch etc. They feel strong.
But the hold current just isn’t enough. Sometimes when the ball comes down and hits a flipper that up, it knocks down the flipper which in turn releases EOS switch and knocks the flipper back up.
Uncontrolled flipper movement in order words.
This is on both left and right flippers.
Are these flippers simply like this? That the holding force just isn’t enough?
C20813EC-3D1A-474E-B328-1FA3661F917C (resized).jpegC20813EC-3D1A-474E-B328-1FA3661F917C (resized).jpegD23D1B4E-DEFD-489D-9457-A978A9ADCD6F (resized).jpegD23D1B4E-DEFD-489D-9457-A978A9ADCD6F (resized).jpeg

#2553 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

But this Jurassic Park is a genuinely great game. But it feels like it has software issues sometimes, doesn’t really do what’s expected but can also be switches but I have checked them all and they are good.
The flippers are great and strong. I’ve cleaned them and fixed EOS switch etc. They feel strong.
But the hold current just isn’t enough. Sometimes when the ball comes down and hits a flipper that up, it knocks down the flipper which in turn releases EOS switch and knocks the flipper back up.
[quoted image][quoted image]

If I recall correctly there were never EOS switches in Data East machines with the flipper boards prior to JP. The electronics gave a "flip" power, then gave the hold power, the board did not know if a flipper was knocked back. They were added because of the raptor shot knocking down the flipper. If the EOS switch closes the flipper re-flips (if that is a word).

#2554 2 years ago

The only time I have a problem with the flippers is the left flipper when the ball comes shooting out of the egg - the force is enough to where the flipper does get pushed down if I have it up.

There is a coil power adjustment - it is +/- 12% that is supposed to be used to compensate for line voltage issues. I don't know if this adjustment includes the flipper coils, but you may want to take a look at where it is set. (Adjustment 33) Maybe yours is set low?

#2555 2 years ago

Check the Jurassic Park thread there was a service bulletin about the flippers and EOS

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-club/page/22#post-2732743

Quoted from ViperTim:

#2556 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

I have a DE JP and can confirm that this is NOT the way they should be. I have no issues with holding power, even due to a ball coming from the raptor kickback.

#2557 2 years ago

Thanks all.

I am starting to suspect I have power issues.
Just a theory.
My wife noticed today that sometimes the flippers become sluggish and can’t even shoot a ball properly. Same with the plunger that cannot even get the ball out on the playfield - sometimes.
Also noticed absolutely zero flipper action on both left and right at the same time and also long delays from button push until flipper activates.
I need to try it myself but I am starting to suspect power issues here… But it feels like something else should go before this occurs but I haven’t dealt with power boards at all before so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Does my hypothesis make any sense or am I completely lost in the wild?

#2558 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Thanks all.
Just a theory.
My wife noticed today that sometimes the flippers become sluggish and can’t even shoot a ball properly. Same with the plunger that cannot even get the ball out on the playfield - sometimes.
Also noticed absolutely zero flipper action on both left and right at the same time and also long delays from button push until flipper activates.
I need to try it myself but I am starting to suspect power issues here… But it feels like something else should go before this occurs but I haven’t dealt with power boards at all before so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

If you have other coils that are week in addition to the flippers, I’d start checking the power boards capacitors. Unless all your coils are dirty and need maintenance (flipper rebuild, mushroomed plungers and dirty/broken coil sleeves)

#2559 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

If you have other coils that are week in addition to the flippers, I’d start checking the power boards capacitors. Unless all your coils are dirty and need maintenance (flipper rebuild, mushroomed plungers and dirty/broken coil sleeves)

I’ve rebuilt the flippers, plungers and all other coils twice in the pursuit of weak flippers and plungers. Found no issues the second time.

#2560 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

The only time I have a problem with the flippers is the left flipper when the ball comes shooting out of the egg - the force is enough to where the flipper does get pushed down if I have it up.
There is a coil power adjustment - it is +/- 12% that is supposed to be used to compensate for line voltage issues. I don't know if this adjustment includes the flipper coils, but you may want to take a look at where it is set. (Adjustment 33) Maybe yours is set low?

I was also wondering if that setting on DE/Sega games includes the flipper coils or it is just for all the other solenoids.
Tried the 3 different setting but could not feel any difference of power on the flipper coils

#2561 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I was also wondering if that setting on DE/Sega games includes the flipper coils or it is just for all the other solenoids.
Tried the 3 different setting but could not feel any difference of power on the flipper coils

I'm not aware of the flipper coils having different settings as they are controlled by the flipper board directly, not the MPU.

#2562 2 years ago

looking for sound board help. So I picked up a LW3 recently and the pot was shot. changed it out and sound is now working. I am getting some voice glitches from time to time. sometimes voices are not calling out when they should and then sometimes it does. A few times I was getting the tone from sound test during game play. any guidance is appreciated. I am wondering if it's the processor, pal, or the bsmt2000?
Also, does anyone have their dmd games with a stereo pot installed? All three I have just have a ground, in and out installed. Wondering if it will make a difference. Manual shows it should have been set up with one but didn't have the wiring.

#2563 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

looking for sound board help. So I picked up a LW3 recently and the pot was shot. changed it out and sound is now working. I am getting some voice glitches from time to time. sometimes voices are not calling out when they should and then sometimes it does. A few times I was getting the tone from sound test during game play. any guidance is appreciated. I am wondering if it's the processor, pal, or the bsmt2000?
Also, does anyone have their dmd games with a stereo pot installed? All three I have just have a ground, in and out installed. Wondering if it will make a difference. Manual shows it should have been set up with one but didn't have the wiring.

Start with replacing the ribbon cable.

#2564 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I had some similar behavior. After checking all the ribbon cables I ended up replacing the sound ROM chips and it fixed my issue. I think I could have gotten away with replacing just the middle one but it was just as cheap and easy to replace them all when considering shipping. Pretty cheap and easy.

2 weeks later
#2565 2 years ago

My BTTF had a non-volatile RAM chip installed when I bought it. However, once on a while when I power it up, it says there's a memory error and has me open the coin door. It then resets everything to factory defaults.

I reseated the NVRAM several times assuming there might have been some oxidization on one of the pins, but it still happened after that. I couldn't see any evidence of corrosion or damage on the battery holder or the PCB, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Anybody had similar issues? I might just buy a new NVRAM and see if that solves it.

#2566 2 years ago
Quoted from null:

My BTTF had a non-volatile RAM chip installed when I bought it. However, once on a while when I power it up, it says there's a memory error and has me open the coin door. It then resets everything to factory defaults.
I reseated the NVRAM several times assuming there might have been some oxidization on one of the pins, but it still happened after that. I couldn't see any evidence of corrosion or damage on the battery holder or the PCB, but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
Anybody had similar issues? I might just buy a new NVRAM and see if that solves it.

Post a picture of that "NVRAM" please.

#2567 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Thanks all.
Just a theory.

Sounds like EOS switch issues to me. Clean the EOS switch contacts with a dollar bill, squeezing tightly as you pull the bill through. I would do it a few times. Then adjust both EOS switches, making sure the long leaf blade makes the small leaf blade of the switch move a bit when back down at the resting position. You can also make sure with continuity test, on the solder tab of the EOS switch, that it is zero ohms. If it still above one ohm, clean the contacts again.

#2568 2 years ago

Hey all,

I am looking lockdown bar for a DE Wide body Guns N Roses machine.

I am unable to locate one. If you have a lead on one, please let me know..

Thanks

#2569 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Post a picture of that "NVRAM" please.

Looks like a RAMTRON FM16W08-SG on an ordinary TSSOP breakout board.
Nevermind the bent pin, that was my fault when taking it out.

IMG_1080 (resized).JPGIMG_1080 (resized).JPGIMG_1081 (resized).JPGIMG_1081 (resized).JPG
#2570 2 years ago
Quoted from null:

Looks like a RAMTRON FM16W08-SG on an ordinary TSSOP breakout board.
Nevermind the bent pin, that was my fault when taking it out.

I had one of those no name brand (board labeling) on a Swemmer MPU fail recently.

Can try this one. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RAMTRON

The 6264 NVRAM that I use from Pinitech is out of stock right now. I never had issues with these.

#2571 2 years ago

I had one of those no name brand (board labeling) on a Swemmer MPU fail recently.
Can try this one. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RAMTRON
The 6264 NVRAM that I use from Pinitech is out of stock right now. I never had issues with these.

I'll pick one up, thanks!

#2572 2 years ago

Sounds like EOS switch issues to me. Clean the EOS switch contacts with a dollar bill, squeezing tightly as you pull the bill through. I would do it a few times. Then adjust both EOS switches, making sure the long leaf blade makes the small leaf blade of the switch move a bit when back down at the resting position. You can also make sure with continuity test, on the solder tab of the EOS switch, that it is zero ohms. If it still above one ohm, clean the contacts again.

This game has given me loads of trouble.
So far I have this:

Plunger didn’t work properly because previous owner had put on a rubber tip that got stuck in the broken coil sleeve and screwed it all up. Took me two tries to see that.
Fixed and works perfect now.

Flipper: Bad EOS switch. I’ve cleaned the EOS switch many times with 800 grit to no avail.
I’ve measured it out and it has SOMETIMES a closed circuit and sometimes just doesn’t.
No matter how much I clean it up it doesn’t get fixed.
New switch needed.

Also had other various troubles like 3rd flipper spring came loose and so on. Small troubles everywhere on a level I have never experienced in a pinball.
But I’m certain that once I’ve gotten all fixed it’s a great machine.

#2573 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Flipper: Bad EOS switch. I’ve cleaned the EOS switch many times with 800 grit to no avail.

OUCH.

Never clean the EOS with anything abrasive on DE pins with flipper boards. They are low amp gold plated contacts for the flipper board logic.

Now they have to be replaced as the coating is gone.

#2574 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

OUCH.
Never clean the EOS with anything abrasive on DE pins with flipper boards. They are low amp gold plated contacts for the flipper board logic.
Now they have to be replaced as the coating is gone.

Damnit, I’m used to old EM machines with just copper.

#2575 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Damnit, I’m used to old EM machines with just copper.

Early DE are ok to clean the contacts with abrasives which were high amp, I think Robocop was the first pin with a control board.

Point file or "soft file" as sandpaper can leave chunks behind holding the contacts apart.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#2576 2 years ago

Need some help with the data east sound board guru's. Working on a lw3 sound board and have never had to work on a sound board before. Here is what is going on. Have music and only a couple call outs. majority of the call outs are missing. here is what I've done so far. New ribbon cables, had to replace the pot due to it being blown, redid the connector from the pot to the board, verified roms are good, pulled ram and verified good, swapped out the 6809E with a known good one, pin 4 on bsmt2000 shows high on logic probe. in sound test it can be intermittent, sometimes you get the tones from left both and right, sometimes the voice test works but says something different than what the manual says it should say. Thinking need to check the pia's on the mpu but guidance is appreciated.

#2577 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Need some help with the data east sound board guru's. Working on a lw3 sound board and have never had to work on a sound board before. Here is what is going on. Have music and only a couple call outs. majority of the call outs are missing. here is what I've done so far. New ribbon cables, had to replace the pot due to it being blown, redid the connector from the pot to the board, verified roms are good, pulled ram and verified good, swapped out the 6809E with a known good one, pin 4 on bsmt2000 shows high on logic probe. in sound test it can be intermittent, sometimes you get the tones from left both and right, sometimes the voice test works but says something different than what the manual says it should say. Thinking need to check the pia's on the mpu but guidance is appreciated.

How did you verify the ROMs and RAM? I had a similar issue with similar troubleshooting and my solution was simply to replace all the ROMs with new ones. I probably could have got away with replacing only the one bad ROM but the issue was tricky to isolate so it was easy and cheap just to replace all three.

#2578 2 years ago

Anybody know anything about the lighting on GnRs, These are the lights I’m have in issues with, when I remove the bulb circled #55, no issues
When bulb is installed all lights hilighted are lit. There is a diode at the bulb socket at the left shooter lane #55 if that was bad could the be causing the issues? Or is it a board or wiring issue. I just did an led bulb upgrade to the machine, not sure if the issue was there before I did this because there were some bulbs out and this may have been one?
7C0F01A5-1A4F-4A0C-A4B6-E644CB6ABF2C (resized).jpeg7C0F01A5-1A4F-4A0C-A4B6-E644CB6ABF2C (resized).jpeg

#2580 2 years ago

I’d replace the diode

#2581 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

How did you verify the ROMs and RAM? I had a similar issue with similar troubleshooting and my solution was simply to replace all the ROMs with new ones. I probably could have got away with replacing only the one bad ROM but the issue was tricky to isolate so it was easy and cheap just to replace all three.

buddy has a rom burner so we verified the checksums vs the files and they are the same. for the ram he has a ram tester as well. we had to test it as a 6116 but that is the cross ram.

#2582 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’d replace the diode

I replaced the diode and still same issues?

#2583 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

did you check to see if you have a diode Inside your light socket. I had something similar happen to my Stern Simpsons

#2584 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Make surethe right color wire is on the banded side of the diode?

#2585 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

did you check to see if you have a diode Inside your light socket. I had something similar happen to my Stern Simpsons

That’s the diode that I replaced, the one at the light socket

#2586 2 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Make surethe right color wire is on the banded side of the diode?

Diode was replaced with the band facing the same direction it was removed, I also noticed that the extra ball button light is very dim when I remove the bulb from 55

#2587 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Diode was replaced with the band facing the same direction it was removed, I also noticed that the extra ball button light is very dim when I remove the bulb from 55

Confirming everything works as it should if you remove the light from 55?

#2588 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Since you have 2 string of lights that are acting up that intersect with the #55 socket, I would assume there’s something wrong with your socket. Can you take a picture of your light socket and diode. Also the led bulbs your using.
You can try putting incandescent bulbs in again and see if there’s any changes.

#2589 2 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Since you have 2 string of lights that are acting up that intersect with the #55 socket, I would assume there’s something wrong with your socket. Can you take a picture of your light socket and diode. Also the led bulbs your using.
You can try putting incandescent bulbs in again and see if there’s any changes.

Yes everything works as it should when bulb is removed with the exception of the extra ball button light is very dim when bulb is removed, Same issues if I put a incandescent bulb back in. I can take a pic of it tomorrow when I get done work.

#2590 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Yes everything works as it should when bulb is removed with the exception of the extra ball button light is very dim when bulb is removed, Same issues if I put a incandescent bulb back in. I can take a pic of it tomorrow when I get done work.

My best guess is you have a short in your socket. Install a new one or swap it with another and see if the problem moves with it.

#2591 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

Dont assume the diode is in correct, consult the schematic. I have run into this.

#2592 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Dont assume the diode is in correct, consult the schematic. I have run into this.

Agreed. Don't assume the the previous diode was installed correctly. Compare it to all the other lamp diodes, they should all be connected the same way. Make sure it is soldered to the CORRECT tabs and in the CORRECT orientation.

#2593 2 years ago

Look at the wires for the correct orientation.

#2594 2 years ago

Anyone interested in one of Davi's optical trough boards with wiring harness reach out...used to replace the trough microswitches with optical ones...purchased this for my Tommy, but sold it before I ever installed it...

20220216_075615 (resized).jpg20220216_075615 (resized).jpg
#2595 2 years ago
Quoted from Bulskis9298:

I would like to thank everyone for there advice and a special thanks to kba78 for all his help, all playfield lights working correctly ( socket not wired correctly). Coin door lights not working, but after some help it looks like I have a power supply issue on just the coin door lighting circuit.

#2596 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

SOLVED. used logic probe on pia on mpu and found a couple legs stuck on low. Pulled and put in the tester and tested bad. swapped with a new 6821 and have all sounds now.

#2597 2 years ago

Did a test pull of the new Batman ramp today. I still need a length and width of the small flap if anyone could help. I won't be able to offer these until I have that piece of info

20220219_103754 (resized).jpg20220219_103754 (resized).jpg
#2598 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Did a test pull of the new Batman ramp today. I still need a length and width of the small flap if anyone could help. I won't be able to offer these until I have that piece of info
[quoted image]

1.25" wide it looks, hard to get ruler in there sideways.

Length pictured.

20220220_092202 (resized).jpg20220220_092202 (resized).jpg
#2599 2 years ago

That is perfect Gary, thank you so much!!

#2600 2 years ago

I've been trying to troubleshoot why my Monday Night Football occasionally kicks out two balls, and the only thing I'm noticing in the switch test compared to the other switches is there seems to be just a tiny delay when I press those switches from when they register. Every other switch seems to be instantaneous. It's like a half a second or less but I'm sure this is what's causing the issue. Any idea what would cause that kind of delay? I'm a little at a loss.

I tried replacing all of the capacitors on those switches with new ones but that did not fix anything.

To elaborate with a little more detail: The first switch which is the out hole switch works fine. It's the trough 3 and then each switch after that that have the delay. Replacing the capacitors on those switches did not help. It's like a half second delay after you press it and then a half second delay before it stops pressing when you let it go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/52?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.