• Yes, I have one. 486 votes
    57%
  • I have one or more. 245 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 76 votes
    9%
  • No, never 39 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 846 votes by 813 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9419 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9418 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_KIMS MI small 2 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_KIMS MI small 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2700 (resized).JPG
IMG_2698 (resized).JPG
IMG_2695 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20210602-095614_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
20210528_095514 (resized).jpg
20210601_211158 (resized).jpg
7E5656BC-4ACE-41C8-80D5-9897761A37C1 (resized).jpeg
20210531_103654 (resized).jpg
20210531_103826 (resized).jpg
20210529_144837 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210515-080746_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

There are 2428 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 49.
#2401 10 days ago

My color dmd freezes from time to time on my WWFRR. I think it’s the dmd controller board. I’be tried reflowing the solder but didn’t help. I usually just have to reseat the 5v connection and it goes back to working

Any tips? Would a new rottendog dmd controller be plug and play?

#2402 10 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

i isually just have to reseat the 5v connection and it goes back to working

Sounds like where the issue is. Replace or try to resolder that 2 power connector on the board and repin the wired connector.

Pretty common failure, though not always that but sounds like it is in your case.

One of the ribbon cables is also a possibility.

#2403 10 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like where the issue is. Replace or try to resolder that 2 power connector on the board and repin the wired connector.
Pretty common failure, though not always that but sounds like it is in your case.
One of the ribbon cables is also a possibility.

Thanks. I’ll get a new set of ribbon cables first to try to rule that out

#2404 10 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Thanks. I’ll get a new set of ribbon cables first to try to rule that out

But you are seeing good results when you reset that power connector. As mentioned, highly likely the issue. I had seen this on several games I had repaired.

#2405 9 days ago

But you are seeing good results when you reset that power connector. As mentioned, highly likely the issue. I had seen this on several games I had repaired.

It’s a weird issue. Sometimes it takes a jiggle or a few times of unplugging and re-plugging the 5v connector. Then when put the panel back in the backbox the screen sometimes craps out again. Must be due to something moving the wires. So I redo the same steps.

There is a few kinks in the large ribbon cable and sometimes if I press/squeeze on the kink the dmd starts working. Not sure if by pressing the kink I inadvertently cause movement to the 5v connector at the same time.

So cheapest first is the ribbon cable. Then I’ll try reflowing the 5v again (I don’t have a lot of experience doing this but doesn’t seem to be difficult). Then if that fails I’ll probably get a new board. The issue happens about 1 out of 5 times I turn the game on to play. Not usually at start up but maybe the shaker causes the issue. Once I get the dmd going it doesn’t usually happen again in the same day.

#2406 9 days ago

Kinks in the ribbon cable definitely are not good. Wires do not like sharp bends. Can be combination of both as well. Should plan on redoing the 5v power connector as well.

#2407 9 days ago

Kinks in the ribbon cable definitely are not good. Wires do not like sharp bends. Can be combination of both as well. Should plan on redoing the 5v power connector as well.

Thanks I appreciate your help

#2408 9 days ago

2 of my 3 DE games started experiencing power issues within a day of each other. UGH! My Star Wars was rapidly turning on and off for about a second - could be related to the power switch I recently installed. Star Trek is something entirely different. I turned it on, got a garbled display and buzzing from the speaker, then started smelling something burning. I turned it off immediately. This is definitely not my expertise, so frustrating to be sure. Working on anything electrical always gives me the jeebs.

#2409 9 days ago

This is what I did to get my Simpsons working good. CN1, CN6, CN17 new headers and connectors. Fuse holders on PS, new caps on PS and Sound. Fixed one transistor for pop bumper. So far, so good.

#2410 9 days ago

Hook just put out a puff of smoke when turned on from back box. The big board has a huge vertical black streak running up the board and the Stock DMD is blank when turned on. I am in over my head. Does anyone even make replacement boards for Data East machines?

#2411 9 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Hook just put out a puff of smoke when turned on from back box. The big board has a huge vertical black streak running up the board and the Stock DMD is blank when turned on. I am in over my head. Does anyone even make replacement boards for Data East machines?

Can you post pictures? It may not be as bad as you think.

#2412 8 days ago

Hi all,

I have a Data East flipper board (520-5070-00) that I am told is working. The board looks good to me but I do not have a machine to test it. It looks as if new fuse clips were soldered in. Any suggestion on what this board is worth as is? I would like to sell it.

thumbnail_IMG_9418 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_9419 (resized).jpg
#2413 8 days ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

I have a Data East flipper board (520-5070-00) that I am told is working. The board looks good to me but I do not have a machine to test it. It looks as if new fuse clips were soldered in. Any suggestion on what this board is worth as is?

In case it helps...I paid $75 for one that was tested and working/guaranteed last Summer. Looked to be in better shape than this one.

So...maybe $50?

One thing on your side is that the rottendog replacements for this board have notorious issues, so it is probably worth it for someone to buy this and use/test it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-flp023-data-east-flipper-board-issue

#2414 8 days ago

Non-working or it might work: $20.00.

Working: $50-$75

There were 3 flipper boards. The 1st one needed some changes that were made on the 2nd one. They will interchange.

The 3rd one is designed for DE pins with 3 flippers.

#2415 8 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Non-working or it might work: $20.00.
Working: $50-$75
There were 3 flipper boards. The 1st one needed some changes that were made on the 2nd one. They will interchange.
The 3rd one is designed for DE pins with 3 flippers.

2 flipper board.

To be honest, no more than $25 for a mystery board.

I have had zero issue with the Rottendog board. Still have a 3 flipper board in my repair queue but RD boards cheap enough have not bothered trying to repair it.

#2416 8 days ago

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

#2417 5 days ago

I replaced the 26 pin cable and so far so good. Pic below of the old one. Hopefully this was an easy fix

image (resized).jpg

#2418 5 days ago

Very nice. Still consider the 2 pin power connector next before you have an issue with it. Play ball !!

#2419 5 days ago

Very nice. Still consider the 2 pin power connector next before you have an issue with it. Play ball !!

Will do. Question: I heated up the solder for the two header pins once before to the point it liquified. Is that all there is to it or was there more I should have done?

#2420 5 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Will do. Question: I heated up the solder for the two header pins once before to the point it liquified. Is that all there is to it or was there more I should have done?

That may be ok for the board, but I normally replace those board pins. Repinning the wired connector that mates to it will be important. Mainly because of the wires can actually have broken strands of wire from being bent over the years being unplugged/plugged in.

#2421 5 days ago

That may be ok for the board, but I normally replace those board pins. Repinning the wired connector that mates to it will be important. Mainly because of the wires can actually have broken strands of wire from being bent over the years being unplugged/plugged in.

Ok thanks for clarifying. Any idea what tool I need to repin the connector? Can I use same connector or should I get a new one? Thanks for the help

#2422 5 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Ok thanks for clarifying. Any idea what tool I need to repin the connector? Can I use same connector or should I get a new one? Thanks for the help

As always, best to do the Molex crimped pins really for a better connection. Might be good to get a friend to bring over tools and pins to redo it. That way you can see it done. Could be a while before you need to redo another future repinning. Requires cutters, crimper and wire strippers along with connector housing and pins.

Wish I was closer!

#2423 4 days ago

Does anyone have a power switch they recommend for my DESW? Mine is currently attached with quick disconnects, but it seems sketchy to me. What's a good one I can solder in?

#2424 4 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Does anyone have a power switch they recommend for my DESW? Mine is currently attached with quick disconnects, but it seems sketchy to me. What's a good one I can solder in?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=dpst+on+off

I believe they came stock with a black powder coated (or something like that) version of this. It's been a bit since I've opened up my power box but I seem to remember mine looking like this.

#2425 4 days ago

Thanks! Does anybody have any photos of how the wires are soldered to the lugs? I'm not great at soldering but want to see how they're attached before I try it myself.

#2426 4 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Thanks! Does anybody have any photos of how the wires are soldered to the lugs? I'm not great at soldering but want to see how they're attached before I try it myself.

Wait, am I missing something? Couldn't you just cut off the quick disconnect and solder the wires to the existing switch?

#2427 3 days ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Wait, am I missing something? Couldn't you just cut off the quick disconnect and solder the wires to the existing switch?

That's the plan. I just want to see exactly where the solder joints are supposed to be made. I'm not exactly an electrician haha.

#2428 3 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'm not great at soldering

I don't want to sound trite, but if you have a solder iron, just practice with some scrap wire. Solder 2 pieces of wire together. And then do it again. and again....

There are several youtube videos that can show you the way. Understanding what "tinning" means and learning how to tin is 80%-90% of your challenge.

There are 2428 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 49.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside