• Yes, I have one. 343 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 165 votes
    28%
  • Considering buying one or more. 55 votes
    9%
  • No, never 31 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 594 votes by 579 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 340 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190502_170937_resized (resized).jpg
496EE2D8-A1F6-4643-9B53-7BA8AB0B08F1 (resized).jpeg
snapshot (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20190423-143807_Gallery (resized).jpg
20190423_143428 (resized).jpg
20190423_075122 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190423-081752_Gallery (resized).jpg
884B5EFE-075B-41B9-AECB-8F6CCBBE064B (resized).jpeg
C74A44A7-5D9D-4A91-926E-A71D01BECAD0 (resized).jpeg
27B3A342-A74F-4F08-B1E8-479AAAF4F533 (resized).jpeg
7D78E0A7-EF2B-48C7-A1DC-22F45F144670 (resized).jpeg
D21CE4E5-7EE4-43B3-8B67-99A0400F0AC3 (resized).jpeg
4634C160-E160-4F4B-A5F7-C17BD7EB109D (resized).jpeg
4E4485C2-5FAA-4EAB-A60B-00474986C68C (resized).jpeg
3FF48EBB-3B44-44A0-8640-14F682663D1E (resized).jpeg
D28374DD-8AE7-4A86-9AC5-29250FD4E9DE (resized).jpeg

There are 1226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.
#151 4 years ago

Only DE I have is Time Machine. Probably my wife's favorite game, so not going anywhere.

#152 4 years ago

Star Wars, and Star Trek 25th owner here. Would like to find a Rocky & Bullwinkle at some point.

I personally think DE game are great. Love the themes, artwork and all.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Really? What Rom version do you have? Mine is that unofficial 3.something (can't remember exactly). You might want to try a factory reset and a battery wipe. I vaguely remember someone having a similar problem, and it took a full reset like that if I remember correctly.

I have version 3.2 installed. I did a factory reset a while back and got Rockies and extra ball puzzle rewards for a few games, but then they stopped. Also, it's set to free play but for some reason flashes "Insert Coins" in attract mode. I got my chips from ThatPinballPlace.com. Where did you get yours?

#154 4 years ago

I am looking for a new plane to my Tommy restoring project. Anybody know where a can get one?

Skjermbilde.JPG
#155 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

What specific settings did you change? I have mine set to maximum number of possible extra balls, Special = extra ball, etc. and have had neither an extra ball puzzle award nor a Rocky hat trick in over a year.

Quoted from FirebrandX:

Really? What Rom version do you have? Mine is that unofficial 3.something (can't remember exactly). You might want to try a factory reset and a battery wipe. I vaguely remember someone having a similar problem, and it took a full reset like that if I remember correctly.

I discussed the Special award in my R&B rule sheet thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fractured-pinball-rules-rocky-and-bullwinkle-re-re-re-visited/page/2#post-1714991

I've based my analysis on 1.30, but I have no reason to believe that 3.20 is drastically different in this area. Make sure Adj 04 (Game Awards) is NOT set to none. Also, since you have to complete the four regular puzzles before you can get the EB or Special puzzle, if you have the first Replay level set too low then you'll tend to get the replay before getting a chance to see the Special puzzle as it is disabled if you've already passed a replay threshold. Update: This may only apply if you have Adj 04 set to Credit or Special.

Also, check Audit 21 (Special Percent). If this is 5% or greater then you wont see any Specials until it drops below 5%. Since you can also get a Special from Mystery Select then it is possible you will never see the Special puzzle. Update: It appears you may see the Special puzzle after the first cycle through the puzzles even if it was suppressed on the first cycle.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Post edited by classicgamefan: Corrected erroneous information.

#156 4 years ago

Thanks, Classicgamefan. Adj. 4 is set to Extra Ball and my replay awards are at 100M, 250M, 400M and 550M. Adj. 6 is set to 9 extra balls, Adj. 17: no replay boost, Adj. 42: Extra ball Percent 50. Audit 21 is showing Special Percent 00. Does something seem off that would be effecting Rocky or the puzzle?

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Thanks, Classicgamefan. Adj. 4 is set to Extra Ball and my replay awards are at 100M, 250M, 400M and 550M. Adj. 6 is set to 9 extra balls, Adj. 17: no replay boost, Adj. 42: Extra ball Percent 50. Audit 21 is showing Special Percent 00. Does something seem off that would be effecting Rocky or the puzzle?

Hmmm. I would say you are extremely likely to get to the 100M replay award prior to getting to the 5th puzzle (if EB puzzle was disabled) or 6th puzzle (if the EB puzzle ran). Therefore, Special would be disabled as puzzle because of the replay. I would recommend raising the replay Award 1 to at least 200M to give yourself a better change to get the Special puzzle. Update: I reviewed my notes and did some additional testing. Getting a Replay only disables Special if you have adjustment 04 (Game Award) set to Credit or Special. If you have it set to Extra Ball or None (which really gives you 20M on a replay threshold) then you can still get the Special puzzle on the first trip through the puzzles. An even bigger mistake: it appears that Special and EB puzzles may only be disabled based on the criteria listed the first time through the puzzles. After that, it appears that the EB and Special puzzles may show up every time (?). I still have some more testing to do.

Even so, it's odd that you aren't getting any Specials since you can also get them from MS and SMS. Do you ever get "Special" as a Mystery Select or Super Mystery Select option? How many total games have you played (Audit 26)?

Post edited by classicgamefan: Corrected bad information about EB and Special puzzle suppression.

#158 4 years ago

I'll try raising the replay awards and let you know. I do get Special puzzle rewards, btw, But not Extra Ball puzzle rewards. Audit 26 shows 689 plays since my last reset. Thanks!

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I'll try raising the replay awards and let you know. I do get Special puzzle rewards, btw, But not Extra Ball puzzle rewards. Audit 26 shows 689 plays since my last reset. Thanks!

Your post made me re-examine my notes and do some additional testing. I have corrected several errors I made in my previous posts above and I will correct the rules thread also. Unfortunately, I have no idea why you are not seeing the EB puzzle if you don't already have an EB (Shoot Again lit) and you haven't used up the max extra balls. Let us know if you figure it out.

#160 4 years ago

The only other thing I can suggest is I have my replay setting to where only one extra ball is awarded for breaking 200,000,000 and that's it. All other extra balls have to come from the game puzzles and/or MS-SMS.

#161 4 years ago

Just picked up a Time Machine. My first Data East. In the middle of putting back together after a dismantle and cleaning. Looks like a cool machine.

#162 4 years ago

Has anyone ever looked into the format of the DMD animations?
I managed to figure out HOW images are saved inside the rom, but I can't seem to figure out WHERE these images are. There's gotta be an index somewhere but I don't really know what to look for.

Here's the curtain from the intro animation in Tommy (from the tommydva.400 rom):
http://i.imgur.com/1mUAYrv.png

Images are saved in binary with 2 bytes preceding the imagedata that define the width and height. If the frame has a second (not-black) color, an equal amount of imagedata bytes follows directly afterwards (without width/height bytes). Haven't found an image with 3 colors yet.
So the image above is 2 dimension bytes + 512 bytes for the dark grey and 512 bytes for the light grey.

But I just can't figure out how to reliably find where images start, and how to tell if an image has 2 colors. There's also all this random data in between some of the images.

Anyone's got a clue?

#163 4 years ago

Made a key holder out of 1/8 aluminum primed painted applied decal then clear coated and super glued hooks in. It can be yours for a $25 donation to pinside. I don't have a paypal account so I can not make a donation to pinside so would like to offer this up. Never used just made. Also have a sega and Gottlieb one. 4" x 12" x 1/8"

image-918.jpg

#164 4 years ago

OP..has seen my machine DE SW. I've got it cleaned up, but the cab is a piece of crap.

Someday someone will hopefully make cabs for DE machines.

Stu/CPR has me excited. The possibility of new plastics and playfield for SW would be awesome.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from MauriceSTYS:

Has anyone ever looked into the format of the DMD animations?
I managed to figure out HOW images are saved inside the rom, but I can't seem to figure out WHERE these images are. There's gotta be an index somewhere but I don't really know what to look for.
Here's the curtain from the intro animation in Tommy (from the tommydva.400 rom):
http://i.imgur.com/1mUAYrv.png
Images are saved in binary with 2 bytes preceding the imagedata that define the width and height. If the frame has a second (not-black) color, an equal amount of imagedata bytes follows directly afterwards (without width/height bytes). Haven't found an image with 3 colors yet.
So the image above is 2 dimension bytes + 512 bytes for the dark grey and 512 bytes for the light grey.
But I just can't figure out how to reliably find where images start, and how to tell if an image has 2 colors. There's also all this random data in between some of the images.
Anyone's got a clue?

ChadH is the person to ask.

#166 4 years ago

In case some of you guys missed it..on sale until Friday.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-data-east-warning-decal-set

data-east-outlines-01-01.jpg

3 weeks later
#167 4 years ago

It's been about a month, so I thought I'd report back about my R&B extra ball issues. I've tried raising the first reward threshold to 200M and tried having only one replay award. The adjustments are set to:

Adj. 4: Extra Ball
Adj. 6: 9 extra balls
Adj. 17: no replay boost
Adj. 42: Extra ball Percent 50.
Audit 21 Special Percent 00.

Sadly, all the problems persist:

1. No sign of Rocky in the backbox
2. No extra ball puzzle awards
3. The extra ball light at the Aesop hole works, but doesn't light during play

I should also mention that Extra Ball has never shown up as a Mystery Award or a Super Mystery Award. I didn't know that was possible until classicgamefan mentioned it. Any ideas? What can I test next?

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

It's been about a month, so I thought I'd report back about my R&B extra ball issues. I've tried raising the first reward threshold to 200M and tried having only one replay award. The adjustments are set to:
Adj. 4: Extra Ball
Adj. 6: 9 extra balls
Adj. 17: no replay boost
Adj. 42: Extra ball Percent 50.
Audit 21 Special Percent 00.
Sadly, all the problems persist:
1. No sign of Rocky in the backbox
2. No extra ball puzzle awards
3. The extra ball light at the Aesop hole works, but doesn't light during play
I should also mention that Extra Ball has never shown up as a Mystery Award or a Super Mystery Award. I didn't know that was possible until classicgamefan mentioned it. Any ideas? What can I test next?

What do you see for Audit 13: Extra Ball Percent?

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

#170 4 years ago

I have Jurassic Park and The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I think both are great. Fun to play and great themes.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

Apparently, your game has historically given 192% extra balls. You won't see the EB from the puzzle, hat trick award, mystery select, or SMS until the EB % audit falls to 50 or below. I'm not sure if there's any way to fix this without resetting the game audit history.

Update: It appears the Extra Ball Percent is calculated per game (not per ball played). Therefore, even if you do reset the audits (Adjustment 11: Audits Reset), as long as you are earning at least one extra ball by other methods every two games (e.g., via Replay), then Audit 13 (Extra Ball Percent) will go to 50% or above and you will not see the Extra Balls from the other sources. I'm really not sure how to get around this in a home environment other than to turn off extra balls via replay or make the replay scores so high that they are rare.

Update 2: I should mention that if you do manage to make it to the end of a second round of puzzles in a game, then it appears you would see the Extra Ball puzzle regardless of your EB% (same with the Special puzzle regardless of the Special%). I think this is probably a bug and I think it would be extremely difficult to get that far through the puzzle rotation in an actual game, but I mention it for completeness.

#172 4 years ago

Thanks for checking on that, Classicgamefan - I think we need a revised home edition ROM. Anyone know how to code?

1 week later
#173 4 years ago

Looking forward to the day I can install a ColorDMD Sigma display in either Jurassic Park or Rocky/Bullwinkle.

I fit one into Twister for TPF and it looked awesome as you would expectTwister Sigma 2.JPG. It has the same speaker panel as the other 2 games, but does not have a lamp door.Twister Sigma 1.JPG

#174 4 years ago

Classicgamefan: I had a really long game on R&B last weekend and made it through two cycles of puzzles - and at the end of the second cycle, the Extra Ball puzzle reward came up! And when it was completed, Rocky jumped up in the backbox! Thought you'd like to hear about it.

#175 4 years ago

My twin Tommies. This is a Pinsound board demo. First one is stock. Second has the board. So awesome..

#176 4 years ago

Bought my first pin, DE Simpsons, two weeks ago. Shopped it last weekend and this week it's playing amazingly fast. I only have room for 3 pins at the moment, and was hoping for 3 different era machines. I really thought I was going to have an early SS as my first (WWFRR being my holy grail pin and would cover the 90s era), but when DE Simpsons popped up in my price range, my inner kid kicked in and bought it on the spot... and I'm in love with it.

Though I didn't want to use 2 of my 3 spaces for DE games, I'm always on the lookout for a WWFRR on this thread, so if anyone in New England ever has one, PM me.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Bought my first pin, DE Simpsons, two weeks ago. Shopped it last weekend and this week it's playing amazingly fast. I only have room for 3 pins at the moment, and was hoping for 3 different era machines. I really thought I was going to have an early SS as my first (WWFRR being my holy grail pin and would cover the 90s era), but when DE Simpsons popped up in my price range, my inner kid kicked in and bought it on the spot... and I'm in love with it.
Though I didn't want to use 2 of my 3 spaces for DE games, I'm always on the lookout for a WWFRR on this thread, so if anyone in New England ever has one, PM me.

Congrats on your first game, nothing wrong with DE games. I have 3 and they are fun.

#178 4 years ago

Also a question to all of you DE owners. I was reading a thread on the worst machines for airballs (a problem I'm having) and 3 different people chimed in and said DE Simpsons is a major offender due to the location & orientation of the center drop targets.

If hit right, my ball flies up to the left (yellow) wireform. You can see the previous owner had this happen as well as there's a 2" strip of yellow paint missing from the wireform. Also as you can see in this pic, if it misses the wireform just in the wrong way, it can get underneath and roll down to a point where it's trapped.

Left Wireform.jpg

I wrote some who experienced the airballs, and one person said that in order to prevent this, I need a plastic from DE LW3. It would be a clear piece that screws into the posts left/right of the drops and overhangs by about an inch to block airballs.

When I look for LW3 pics with this piece (so I can identify it) I don't see any on record with this protector piece. Does anyone know about it? Has anyone put it in other DE machines, or do any other DE machines have a similar piece which could help me expand my search?

#179 4 years ago

You might have to make your own using a scroll saw, I've made a few pieces for different games with one and it's fun to do. You want to get Lexan cuz it's tough.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You might have to make your own using a scroll saw, I've made a few pieces for different games with one and it's fun to do. You want to get Lexan cuz it's tough.

I was afraid of this. I had looked at a basic scroll saw last week through harbor freight. I'm assuming whipping out the old dremel and making a rectangle and sanding the corners isn't going to cut it (no pun).

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I was afraid of this. I had looked at a basic scroll saw last week through harbor freight. I'm assuming whipping out the old dremel and making a rectangle and sanding the corners isn't going to cut it (no pun).

If you had a Dremel table, where the bit sticks up, that would work. To get straight lines just clamp a piece of wood on the table to use it like a table saw. I like the scroll saw because it doesn't melt the plastic when it cuts. I also have a belt/disc combo sander and the belt part works great for getting the straight lines straight and the disc part for making the outer curve curved parts nice and curved. Did I say curved enough times there. Those two machines make it easy to make nice plastic pieces. A small drill press is nice to have also.

1 week later
#182 4 years ago

I have cut Lexan with a coping saw and filed and sanded the curve and/or edges to shape--the poor man's way to do it, but it works well.

#183 4 years ago

Yes a fine tooth coping saw works great too, it doesn't generate heat as it cuts that would heat the plastic and bind the saw blade. Good call.

1 week later
#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If hit right, my ball flies up to the left (yellow) wireform.

That seems to happen frequently on every Simpsons I've ever seen. Its too bad someone doesn't have a product out to block those airballs so everyone wouldn't need to make their own.

2 weeks later
#185 4 years ago

I just picked up a Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Very Excited about them.

SW is missing the entire mechanism to raise and lower the target to the Death Star, so its always open. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this, including brackets?

JP was DOA, I've ordered some parts for the PPB, along with lots of fuses - it looks like someone was tinkering with it, and managed to blow seven fuses. JP is also missing the shaker motor assembly, including the driver board for it. Does anyone know if the current shaker motor from Stern is a "Plug & Play" replacement?

I have never worked on DE machines, so this will be a learning curve. I hope everyone will be patient with a DE newbe.

#186 4 years ago

Who is PPB ?

#187 4 years ago

PPB board in DE games

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I just picked up a Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Very Excited about them.
SW is missing the entire mechanism to raise and lower the target to the Death Star, so its always open. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix this, including brackets?
JP was DOA, I've ordered some parts for the PPB, along with lots of fuses - it looks like someone was tinkering with it, and managed to blow seven fuses. JP is also missing the shaker motor assembly, including the driver board for it. Does anyone know if the current shaker motor from Stern is a "Plug & Play" replacement?
I have never worked on DE machines, so this will be a learning curve. I hope everyone will be patient with a DE newbe.

Congrats on getting 2 DE projects.

Replace C2 on the power supply in both games. If 5 volts is low, it can cause all the coils to fire randomly and blow out fuses. Usually I see the C2 leaked and that eats up the trace/pad below C2.

By driver board, I think you mean the CPU/MPU. They come up on Ebay fairly often, working and non-working ones.

#189 4 years ago

New member of the club, picked up a Robocop. Been pretty fun so far! All I need now are plastics and the red and blue plastics in the top corners of the backbox / translite

#190 4 years ago

I didn't look through the entire thread, but if you've never heard of the EnerGI Maestro you should check it out. Really makes the GI control on DE machines great, and no more damn relay noise! Check it out...

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

#191 4 years ago

I picked a TFTC. Love the game so far. The call-outs get cut off by other switches at some points. And, there could be more variety, but otherwise the game is really fun.

#192 4 years ago

Have a TMNT and a LAH. Have had JP as well. Love Data East. Have the neon sign.

I am all about fun, shallow-ish games. No problem at all.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

JP is also missing the shaker motor assembly, including the driver board for it. Does anyone know if the current shaker motor from Stern is a "Plug & Play" replacement?.

Normally, you can just get the part number out of the manual of what you need and type it into an internet search engine such as Google and it should locate anyone who would stock the part(s). Occasionally, you may have to buy separate parts of an assembly from different sites to get the full assembly of what you need.

#194 4 years ago

I like this picture of my TFTC. It's not my picture, but I stole it from toasterman. Sadly, I cannot fit the topper in my basement.

IMG_8756-3.JPG

#195 4 years ago

That looks nice, I can't use my topper either for the same reason.

#196 4 years ago

It's a shame the Date East/Sega games are so tall. My F-14 fits just fine it's beacons on top.

#197 4 years ago

Here is my latest DE- Secret Service, just finished getting it running again.

image.jpg
#198 4 years ago

I've found myself liking them more and more again. I started out with some 18 years ago, then I got to the point were I didn't care for them at all, now I've come full circle. I think they are the best buy in pinball. Used to be system 11 but not now that prices have gotten close to 2k. Time machine is the latest one, and its a cute simple game. Todd Scott

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I've found myself liking them more and more again. I started out with some 18 years ago, then I got to the point were I didn't care for them at all, now I've come full circle. I think they are the best buy in pinball. Used to be system 11 but not now that prices have gotten close to 2k. Time Machine is the latest one, and its a cute simple game. Todd Scott

I'd like a Time Machine, good game. Fun sounds and lights.

#200 4 years ago

I recently bought my first, adventures of rocky and bullwinkle. I have ordered a couple of parts for it that were missing. I have it at the in-laws right now and have gotten all my nephews hooked on it. Color DMD would be cool, where it would do the different color animations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
2,100 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Painesville, OH
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 24.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 259.99
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Island, NY
$ 275.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sadsburyville, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cayuga , NY
There are 1226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 25.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside