• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,046 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 61.
#1601 4 years ago

I've owned 9 or so different data east titles, some more than once. Of the ones I've owned, Time Machine is my favorite. Looking to acquire one again...

#1602 4 years ago

New to the club! For the past 25 years I've been an EM guy. I grew up with a Williams OXO in my room and was hooked! I learned how to fix anything EM from the time I bought My first game Bally Amigo. Fast forward and now my kids are getting bored with dads antiques so we decided to thin that herd down to the "keepers" and have brought in a Back to the Future, one of my favorite movie franchises. I always told my wife if I ever made the switch to SS games BTTF would be one of the first. I may be simple coming from EM games, but this to me a really under rated pin. I get thee drawbacks but for the nostalgia it rocks! I read somewhere on here there's rumor of a remake- I'm in, and it will be my first NIB pin purchase, just make it Great! Then came a Monday Night Football. Another family favorite theme, and a pretty fun game. Most recently (well, they've all been since Christmas) we've added a Twister- I know, wrong club, but not too far off. Twister was another title I told myself I'd have since the first time I played one. Love the multiball disc and the Van Halen tracks.
I had a Simpson's and Checkpoint way back in the late 90's I ended up with only because people that had them wanted to get rid of them and I was "the pinball guy" they knew, they were priced right and I knew I could flip them pretty easy.
Anyhow I'm pretty new to the forum, didn't really know there was a pin forum or I'd have been here a longtime ago!

#1603 4 years ago
Quoted from Troostr:

New to the club!

Welcome aboard. There are a ton of awesome DE games. I’ve been collecting for 25 years, and when I started I didn’t know a Bally from an Atari. And so other than a Phantom of the Opera, I never bought any DE games. I bought a Tommy in 2018, and now I’m hooked on DE. So many great games.

#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from coinop:

Looking for a slide latch for the backbox light board in data East pinball. Marco is out anyone have one to sell?
Thanks!

Yes, I have one, message me. I can get it off my spare Secret Service backbox. I’m still selling parts off my populated playfield if anyone needs them.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Chicago Coin was bought by Gary Stern's father and was renamed Stern Electronics. Stern Electronics went out of business on 1981-82. And then some way some how Gary Stern would up with, or started Data East. And then Gary moved on to today's Stern Corporation.

Quoted from RYSR:

I believe DE sold to Saga then Gary bought it back

The history is basically Chicago Coin was selling off their assets and in 1977 Stern Electronics Inc. was created when the Stern family bought them. Later in 1982 they closed the pinball division “temporarily” ending the production of Orbitor 1, despite having over 4,000 orders for it. In-between this time Stern bought Seeburg which actually owned Williams manufacturing so Stern owned Williams for a brief time technically. Stern made arcade games until filing for bankruptcy in late 1984 about when the retheme Quicksilver Lazer Lord was revealed. After the bankruptcy Gary or possibly his father Sam Stern reformed them into Mylstar and produced a conversation kit that was the original Prototype of a standard body Flight 2000 called Gamatron, they marketed this kit from 1985 to 1986.

In 1987 the glorious Laser War was made by the newly formed Data East by Joe Kaminkow and Gary Stern. They went on until 1994 making Maverick as their last machine which kept rolling to production with Sega buying them. Then Sega continued on to 1999 making Harley-Davidson which finally came full circle with Gary buying them out then making it the new Stern Pinball Inc. we know today.

Now there’s the big history in case you’re all wondering. I find their story probably one of the most fascinating in pinball because of how clever the Stern family was. Always coming out of the bankruptcies on top.

Added over 4 years ago:

*Pinstar, not Mylstar.

1 week later
#1605 4 years ago

?????????????????????????????
Pinstar....
Mylstar is Gottlieb.

#1606 4 years ago

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for a working display for my Data East Star Trek. If you have one laying around and don’t need it I’ll buy it from you. PM details”
2020-04-16
Richfield, MI
Wanted
Archived after: 15 days
Viewed: 108 times

#1607 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

“Looking for a working display for my Data East Star Trek. If you have one laying around and don’t need it I’ll buy it from you. PM details”

Did you know there are led displays available?

https://www.pinled.de/en/p/dotmatrix-display-128-x-16
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5042-ST
https://ksarcade.net/led-128x16-dot-matrix.html
https://www.pinballsolutions.eu/product/128x16-dot-matrix-pinball-led-display-for-data-east-orange/

Google is your friend...

#1609 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks, $300 is a bit pricey. Hoping to find a used one for cheaper..

LOL!!! Nothing is cheap anymore...
1990's, just the glass alone 128x16 $200.00 new.
It's the price to pay when only five games use this one display.

#1610 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

LOL!!! Nothing is cheap anymore...
1990's, just the glass alone 128x16 $200.00 new.
It's the price to pay when only five games use this one display.

Oh I know I’ve bought plenty of displays in the past. I don’t plan on keeping this game long so thought I could save some money.

#1611 4 years ago

Beginning a full shop out of Rocky and Bullwinkle today. What draws the line between restoration and a full shop?

8F495C5E-95BF-44D1-BC22-E6644D139058 (resized).jpeg8F495C5E-95BF-44D1-BC22-E6644D139058 (resized).jpeg
#1612 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Beginning a full shop out of Rocky and Bullwinkle today. What draws the line between restoration and a full shop?[quoted image]

If you want restoration... then you better get the correct legs, etc,etc,etc.
Shopping out a game so you could have fun playing it is another thing.

#1613 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me where this mystery wire is supposed to go? It looks like a ground wire... however, I can't figure out what it would have connected. There doesn't seem to be anything "missing" a wire and all the other connections where this wire could reach, seem clean. But maybe I'm stupid, or missing a clue. Or maybe this wire was shortened, or should be going somewhere else (in the cabinet)?

FWIW, the game works and I'm not aware of any critical missing functions in the HU / free play environment. But stray wires bug me.

20191107_200403 (resized).jpg20191107_200403 (resized).jpg
#1614 4 years ago

Could that be for a dollar bill validator?

#1615 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Can anyone tell me where this mystery wire is supposed to go? It looks like a ground wire... however, I can't figure out what it would have connected. There doesn't seem to be anything "missing" a wire and all the other connections where this wire could reach, seem clean. But maybe I'm stupid, or missing a clue. Or maybe this wire was shortened, or should be going somewhere else (in the cabinet)?
FWIW, the game works and I'm not aware of any critical missing functions in the HU / free play environment. But stray wires bug me.[quoted image]

It looks like someone might’ve connected it to a screw on the coin door. The 2 creases ok the wire make me think it might’ve been jammed in where the door closes.

#1616 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

FWIW, the game works and I'm not aware of any critical missing functions in the HU / free play environment. But stray wires bug me.[quoted image]

It is a ground wire. I have one on my Robocop. It attaches to your switch plate with the screw near your green switch button.

#1617 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is a ground wire. I have one on my Robocop. It attaches to your switch plate with the screw near your green switch button.

Awesome, thanks! I'll crimp an eyelet and put it back where it belongs.

#1618 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I don’t plan on keeping this game long so thought I could save some money.

At least wait and see what the code update is like. It's going to be quite the overhaul from what we know.

#1619 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

At least wait and see what the code update is like. It's going to be quite the overhaul from what we know.

Oh really? Didn't realize someone was doing a code update for my machine.

#1620 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Does anyone have, or know of, where I could score a Vertical Up Kicker (VUK) deflector bracket for TM? I have had orders cancelled from Marco and Ministry of Pinball.
Mine is in really bad shape, and I don't know if my sheet metal "expert" buddy has the skill to replicate one.[quoted image]

Have you tried reaching out to Mantis ?...He makes all sorts of these type Stainless stell pinball parts...usually better.

#1621 4 years ago

Does someone have a link to the service bulletins for data east games...taking delivery of a Tommy and a Secret Service this week and want to go over everything when they get here

#1622 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Beginning a full shop out of Rocky and Bullwinkle today. What draws the line between restoration and a full shop?[quoted image]

Just sold a r&b and thought it was a lot of fun especially for the price. Would have keep it but limited on space.
They just don't seem to fetch the money they deserve so I was careful about how much money I put into it.
Think a color dmd would be nice. A lot of animations.

#1623 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Just sold a r&b and thought it was a lot of fun especially for the price. Would have keep it but limited on space.
They just don't seem to fetch the money they deserve so I was careful about how much money I put into it.
Think a color dmd would be nice. A lot of animations.

This one is exhibiting some really crappy problems that I suspect are all due to a faulty power supply. Worked fine for a while then slowly went downhill. It also has a pretty crappy decal job on it before I got it. I'm thinking of stripping the cabinet, re-decal'ing, color DMD, new power supply. I'm thinking of stripping down the playfield and giving it a good wiping down, adding cliffy's, then selling it. That's what, $750 total?

I shouldn't complain because I got it for an absolute bargain...

#1624 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

This one is exhibiting some really crappy problems that I suspect are all due to a faulty power supply. Worked fine for a while then slowly went downhill. It also has a pretty crappy decal job on it before I got it. I'm thinking of stripping the cabinet, re-decal'ing, color DMD, new power supply. I'm thinking of stripping down the playfield and giving it a good wiping down, adding cliffy's, then selling it. That's what, $750 total?
I shouldn't complain because I got it for an absolute bargain...

If you replace the power board I'd be interested in your old broken one to rebuild.

#1625 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

This one is exhibiting some really crappy problems that I suspect are all due to a faulty power supply. Worked fine for a while then slowly went downhill. I

Sounds like it is time for all new capacitors on the power supply. The smaller caps like to leak and damage the traces under the capacitors.

#1626 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Oh really? Didn't realize someone was doing a code update for my machine.

It's nearly complete. Chad H is doing a comprehensive overhaul but still keeping the spirit of the rules like he did with DE Star Wars.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-data-east-club/page/10#post-5488056

Here's some of the changes early on in the discussion. He says there are a lot more than just what's on this list:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-25th-data-east-club/page/8#post-5330344

The community has also added some suggestions. I have also been emailing back and forth with him for several months with ideas.

#1627 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like it is time for all new capacitors on the power supply. The smaller caps like to leak and damage the traces under the capacitors.

Quite possibly, but I'm going to suspect that it was this this cable that got annihilated at some point or another.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you replace the power board I'd be interested in your old broken one to rebuild.

Good to know. PM me with an offer after looking at those photos.
IMG_9555 (resized).JPGIMG_9555 (resized).JPGIMG_9557 (resized).JPGIMG_9557 (resized).JPG

Sorry for the shitty pictures. I do video and photo things for a living, so when the photo is just for me, you better believe I take the shittiest pictures imaginable.

#1628 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Does someone have a link to the service bulletins for data east games...taking delivery of a Tommy and a Secret Service this week and want to go over everything when they get here

Here you go. Be careful. There is no one to call.

I followed the steps on one SB and would up with a board that no longer worked. I had to reverse what I did.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/bulletins.htm

#1629 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Sorry for the shitty pictures. I do video and photo things for a living, so when the photo is just for me, you better believe I take the shittiest pictures imaginable.

And auto mechanics drive pieces of crap for daily drivers

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I followed the steps on one SB and would up with a board that no longer worked. I had to reverse what I did.

Thank you sir...I'm sure there is something I can gleam from it...

#1631 4 years ago

Looking for plastics for a DE Secret Service. Pm me if anyone has any that they're willing to part with.

Please!

#1632 4 years ago

Thought I'd throw this out on this page as its a general flipper question. I picked up a Secret Service today and like every machine I seem to buy, someone had a go at the flippers prior to my arrival (one series wound and one parallel wound coil- jeez). I'd like to just remove these original brackets and go with the Williams style and be done with it...any issues with using these style brackets/bushings? and what coil should I use with them? ( I have a bunch of the 11629 coils lying around)

#1633 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Parts - Wanted

Want to buy display

Wanted! “Looking for a working display for my Data East Star Trek. If you have one laying around and don’t need it I’ll buy it from you. PM details”

40 days ago

Richfield , MI

Wanted

pacman11

I have a DMD from my JP I would be willing to sell if that is what you are asking for. Please PM me if interested.

#1634 4 years ago

Pm sent

#1635 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have a DMD from my JP I would be willing to sell if that is what you are asking for. Please PM me if interested.

DE Star Trek and JP do not use the same displays....They are different size. JP is 128X32, Start Trek is 128X16

#1636 4 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

DE Star Trek and JP do not use the same displays....They are different size. JP is 128X32, Start Trek is 128X16

I just assumed they were the same, so thanks for pointing out they are not.

So the ST is half height of “standard” DMDs?

#1637 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just assumed they were the same, so thanks for pointing out they are not.
So the ST is half height of “standard” DMDs?

Yes, ST, TMNT, Checkpoint DE Batman and Hook are all half height displays. Checkpoint being the first DMD game... I believe Williams introduced "standard height" soon after 120X32 which was much better.

#1638 4 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

Yes, ST, TMNT, Checkpoint DE Batman and Hook are all half height displays. Checkpoint being the first DMD game... I believe Williams introduced "standard height" soon after 120X32 which was much better.

I have a Data East Star Trek, so you are saying a JP won't work?

#1639 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I have a Data East Star Trek, so you are saying a JP won't work?

No, it will not work...

#1640 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for the link. Anyone had an issue with the ball kicker arm? The only issue I have with my Tommy, ball has to kick up several times before making it. Thanks.

#1641 4 years ago

Guy in Toronto selling a larger Data East DMD. On Kijiji if anyone is looking for one. $250Cdn asking.

#1642 4 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

No, it will not work...

Okay thanks looks like I'll have to buy a new one for $230 online..

#1643 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Okay thanks looks like I'll have to buy a new one for $230 online..

I have not seen any new original style plasma 128x16 DMD for sale for DE Star Trek. They have not been made in years.

Have you tested your voltages at the power connector of the DMD? Loss of any of the 3 high voltages, -110v, -100v, 62v from the power supply will cause the DMD not to light up at all.

#1644 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have not seen any new original style plasma 128x16 DMD for sale for DE Star Trek. They have not been made in years.
Have you tested your voltages at the power connector of the DMD? Loss of any of the 3 high voltages, -110v, -100v, 62v from the power supply will cause the DMD not to light up at all.

I'll check.. After the game is on for awhile the display seems to warm up and start working some but the middle never fully works so it appears to be gassing out..

#1645 4 years ago

What, if anything, can be done to allow this WWFRR, to accept US currency? Coin mech or DBA is okay. I’ve had the machine for about 6 months, just had the topside torn down, rebuild flippers, new ramp, cleaned, etc and just realized it must be a reimport when I went to put a coin mech in, so I could bring it to a local brewery.

I take it this is what I need? Is it plug and play or is there any wiring rework required? https://www.pinballlife.com/data-east-coin-door.html

86273760_10215845163097994_4569638018016608256_o (resized).jpg86273760_10215845163097994_4569638018016608256_o (resized).jpg86300510_10215845163217997_780231635961380864_o (resized).jpg86300510_10215845163217997_780231635961380864_o (resized).jpg86658476_10215845163578006_7101234017365655552_o (resized).jpg86658476_10215845163578006_7101234017365655552_o (resized).jpg86730816_10215845163978016_8141477871005728768_o (resized).jpg86730816_10215845163978016_8141477871005728768_o (resized).jpg
#1646 4 years ago

A other DE in the lineup!

20200304_143154 (resized).jpg20200304_143154 (resized).jpg
#1647 4 years ago

AntennaMan -

Maybe I'm too stuck in older machine mindsets, but to me, you should be able to change the faceplate to quarters, put in a quarter coin mech and go. The link you sent is only for the door, does not include wiring or the coin mechanisms, so you won't be much further ahead from where you are now.

#1648 4 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

AntennaMan -
Maybe I'm too stuck in older machine mindsets, but to me, you should be able to change the faceplate to quarters, put in a quarter coin mech and go. The link you sent is only for the door, does not include wiring or the coin mechanisms, so you won't be much further ahead from where you are now.

How do I even put a coin mech in this setup? I have an assortment of mechs, what do I use to hold one?

#1649 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the link. Anyone had an issue with the ball kicker arm? The only issue I have with my Tommy, ball has to kick up several times before making it. Thanks.

I had that with my Data East Simpsons. Kept playing it and eventually smelled something burning. Replaced the transistor Q46 and everything worked great.

#1650 4 years ago

Had this issue fixed but it seemed to have returned again last night. Right flipper on GnR has very little power. It is very weak and seems to go in slow motion. Any ideas on things to check in terms of power? Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 18.95
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,046 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/33?hl=antennaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.