• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 61.
#1551 4 years ago

Get the connector for the wiring as well to repin.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKWMS

#1552 4 years ago

Just order that. Thanks

#1553 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Guys,
Has anyone here added spotlights to their Data East playfield? I'm trying to research a good spotlight kit for my TMNT pin. Comet has some nice kits with single and double options. Do you guys have any recommendations for this particular pin? My initial thought is adding one spotlight at the top of each pop bumper where both ramps attach, and have them point towards middle of playfield, either at all 4 turtles, and/or the shredder head. I know this is all a matter of opinion, but it's nice to know what you all have tried out so far.
Thanks![quoted image]

I use a double spotlight on my Tommy. Think it came from Comet.

#1554 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thanks to this group, I was able to swap my TMNT mpu battery holder with Frank's Lithium battery upgrade. Thanks, Guys!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

How hard was the install? Thanks

#1555 4 years ago

Having issues with my right flipper on GnR. Moves very slow or does not work. Sometimes it starts in the upright position with a new ball.

I swapped out the flipper board from Tommy and exact same issue. I think it may be one of the connectors to the flipper board. Any other suggestions on things to check? Thanks for your help.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'll call it a Festivus miracle! Checkpoint ramps are in the final tuning stage.[quoted image]

This is awesome news! They look great. Checkpoint deserves nice ramps.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

How hard was the install? Thanks

Not too bad. I desoldered the contacts for the old battery holder, on backside of mpu board. I then removed any solder from the 4 locations designated for the new lithium battery holder. Soldered the lithium battery holder to mpu board and all done!

#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

This is awesome news! They look great. Checkpoint deserves nice ramps.

I just received Jody's repro Checkpoint ramp, absolutely stunning! I still need to attach the front entrance flap before installing. Once I do, I'll update the
thread with pics! Thanks again Jody, great work!!

#1559 4 years ago

Hey everybody, glad to join this club.

I picked up a Rocky and Bullwinkle a little bit ago and recently it doesn't boot. I'm sure I'll ask some more specific questions once I get deeper into it, but the main things that are wrong thus far are it keeps blowing strange sets of fuses, has some extremely weird/lazy power supply board fixes (wires jumped instead of replaced blah blah) the P.I.A. light stays on, I could go on.

I'm looking for some guidance and pointers on where to start looking to get some comprehensive training on the design of these games' boardsets. Thus far I've only worked on a couple of EMs and System80 games, and Clay's Guides have helped me out a lot on both of those. I'd love some pointers on where to start looking to learn.

Thanks in advance friends.

#1560 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hey everybody, glad to join this club.
I picked up a Rocky and Bullwinkle a little bit ago and recently it doesn't boot. I'm sure I'll ask some more specific questions once I get deeper into it, but the main things that are wrong thus far are it keeps blowing strange sets of fuses, has some extremely weird/lazy power supply board fixes (wires jumped instead of replaced blah blah) the P.I.A. light stays on, I could go on.
I'm looking for some guidance and pointers on where to start looking to get some comprehensive training on the design of these games' boardsets. Thus far I've only worked on a couple of EMs and System80 games, and Clay's Guides have helped me out a lot on both of those. I'd love some pointers on where to start looking to learn.
Thanks in advance friends.

first check the power supply and make sure you are getting all of the appropriate voltages out of the board, these powersupply boards on these things go whack pretty easily.

if you are still not booting, then get you a leons test eprom and follow these directions to troubleshoot
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Data_East_CPU_Board_Repair

#1561 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

I just received Jody's repro Checkpoint ramp, absolutely stunning! I still need to attach the front entrance flap before installing. Once I do, I'll update the
thread with pics! Thanks again Jody, great work!!

Can't wait to see it!!

#1562 4 years ago

Anyone have an ideas on why my checkpoint dmd would be blank when it's supposed to show scores? animations work fine

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-checkpoint-dmd-reset-issues/page/3

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

first check the power supply and make sure you are getting all of the appropriate voltages out of the board, these powersupply boards on these things go whack pretty easily.
if you are still not booting, then get you a leons test eprom and follow these directions to troubleshoot
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Data_East_CPU_Board_Repair

Thanks for this link! I found a few threads on this topic that went dead fast without much resolve or info. There's a lot to weed through on this site.

The power supply is shot to hell in a lot of ways, visually so it doesn't surprise me that it's acting funny. I appreciate the help already!

#1564 4 years ago
Quoted from joelw23:

Anyone have an ideas on why my checkpoint dmd would be blank when it's supposed to show scores? animations work fine
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-checkpoint-dmd-reset-issues/page/3

Had a buddies ST25 (same display) doing a similar thing.
We re-burned game & display EPROMs, and issues went away.

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Had a buddies ST25 (same display) doing a similar thing.
We re-burned game & display EPROMs, and issues went away.

the display and boards were tested in another machine and worked fine.

#1566 4 years ago

I've had a data east pin with intermittent display, turned out to be the data cable between the CPU and Display board. Reseating if at the display board would get it working sometimes. Finely has to replace it.

Try borrowing the cable from the other test pin.

#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'll call it a Festivus miracle! Checkpoint ramps are in the final tuning stage.[quoted image]

Boy my checkpoint can severely use one of these! Mine has been fixed using fiberglass patch kits and all sorts of ugly garbage. It’s the worst. Definitely one of the ugliest checkpoint ramps out there.
I still need to get my game fully working, I’ve had an issue since day one that the VUK is locking on when any coil goes on, there are no bad transistors, no shorts on the board and I haven’t been able to locate any ground shorts anyway. This checkpoint has been a pain in my ass for ages.

I was also hit by the curse of DE, my MNF has been on location at my arcade for over 2 months, and I’ve checked everyday. The wires were warm but never hot, and it was probably 2/3rds LED.
Welp regardless one of the wires burnt up and I had half my GI out. What a bummer.

Also I’ve had an issue with the sound randomly deciding to get stuck doing the odd thumping pulse after 2 full cycles of attract mode. Every 15 minutes after a game is played or the game is powered on it it thumps and thumps very strangely. I believe the giant 18k cap has gone bad on the PS and caused the sound section to go into some bizarre loop.

BEDA42DE-5CE7-40B3-8F4E-9DDD34FD3A96.jpegBEDA42DE-5CE7-40B3-8F4E-9DDD34FD3A96.jpeg
#1568 4 years ago
Quoted from Gazz_anderson:

Just picked up my first DE title - The Simpson’s!
Fun and enjoyable game to say the least.
Looking to tidy her up and have noticed how difficult it is to find certain parts for this machine.
Looking specifically for a Main Ramp if any knows where to find one / has a good condition one they would like to sell feel free to let me know.
Cheers

Pinballsparesparts.com.au
Hope this helps

IMG_20200114_125122[1172] (resized).jpgIMG_20200114_125122[1172] (resized).jpg
#1569 4 years ago

Has anyone ever come across a source for a new short bungie cord used to hold up the playfield on games like Rocky and Bullwinkle?

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Has anyone ever come across a source for a new short bungie cord used to hold up the playfield on games like Rocky and Bullwinkle?

You could use a short chain and two s hooks.
More reliable as rubber bungies dry out

#1571 4 years ago

Speaking of the short rubber bungee cord, I’ve had one in my TMNT cabinet but never understood where it was supposed to hook up. Can someone post a pick of one in place?

#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

You could use a short chain and two s hooks.
More reliable as rubber bungies dry out

That is an excellent suggestion. I may pickup a short piece of chain and try it out. Thank you.

1 week later
#1573 4 years ago

Guys, I didn't think this through when ordering replacement plastics. Does anyone know how to remove the rivets holding the yellow flasher dome and the clear plastic assembly (top left of pic)? If successful, I'll need to reattach to the new pastic using a rivet gun.

20200120_143937 (resized).jpg20200120_143937 (resized).jpg
#1574 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Does anyone know how to remove the rivets holding the yellow flasher dome and the clear plastic assembly (top left of pic)? If successful, I'll need to reattach to the new pastic using a rivet gun.

Drill out the rivets from the back (just enough to pop the folded-over ring of the rivet off.)

You can use machine screws/nuts to reassemble if you don’t want to rivet.

#1575 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Guys, I didn't think this through when ordering replacement plastics. Does anyone know how to remove the rivets holding the yellow flasher dome and the clear plastic assembly (top left of pic)? If successful, I'll need to reattach to the new pastic using a rivet gun.[quoted image]

Those are tubular rivets. You should (key word: should) be able to turn the plastic over and drill the barrel of the rivet to remove the crimped part of the rivet allowing to to release the part from the plastic. You can buy tubular rivets of all size from Marco and PBR. Tubular rivets are not hard to knock down.

#1576 4 years ago

You need to drill them out. Riveting the new plastic is possible, I'd suggest using a screw with a nut instead.

#1577 4 years ago

Thank you all for the quick responses! Another fun side project. I like the idea of using a screw and nut for new plastics. Appreciate the support.

#1578 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thank you all for the quick responses! Another fun side project. I like the idea of using a screw and nut for new plastics. Appreciate the support.

They make a smooth domed head small screw, with a very small Allen wrench hole in the top. I’ve used those when replacing rivets with nut and bolt on plastics where the nut is hidden. It looks like a rivet except on close inspection. I pick them up at the local ace

#1579 4 years ago

Or use plastic rivets, such as

https://www.amazon.com/Yongcun-Fastener-Automotive-SRC4080-Hole4-0mm/dp/B01J11NXKW/ref=sr_1_5

as used on many other pinballs.

BTW, the print quality of the repro plastic looks a bit off in terms of colour and resolution.

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

amazon.com link »
BTW, the print quality of the repro plastic looks a bit off in terms of colour and resolution.

I agree. It lacks that sheen. The main reason I bought the repro plastics was to replace the triangle shaped Michelangelo plastic that was missing a chunk. I'm saving all my original plastics in case I decide to swap them back in.

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I agree. It lacks that sheen. The main reason I bought the repro plastics was to replace the triangle shaped Michelangelo plastic that was missing a chunk. I'm saving all my original plastics in case I decide to swap them back in.

I'm disappointed with *some* of the reproduction plastics I have seen and purchased, factory originals are my preferred go to now.

Very disappointed in this day and age something as simple as printing on plastics can't be done as well or better than the originals from 40 or 50 years ago.

#1582 4 years ago

Spotlights added to tmnt after a thorough playfield cleaning that involved removing the playfield protector, and touched up some high wear areas. Also did a crap ton of other stuff...but I don't need to put everyone to sleep. Left side of pic is before all the work, w/o spotlights.

20200122_194020 (resized).jpg20200122_194020 (resized).jpg
#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Spotlights added to tmnt after a thorough playfield cleaning that involved removing the playfield protector, and touched up some high wear areas. Also did a crap ton of other stuff...but I don't need to put everyone to sleep. Left side of pic is before all the work, w/o spotlights.[quoted image]

Nice. Spots are so helpful, and I kind of like the way they look on pins from this era and beyond.

#1584 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Spotlights added to tmnt after a thorough playfield cleaning that involved removing the playfield protector, and touched up some high wear areas. Also did a crap ton of other stuff...but I don't need to put everyone to sleep. Left side of pic is before all the work, w/o spotlights.[quoted image]

Looks great! I did the spotlights on mine too, mounted from basically the same location, and it really helps to lighten up the middle of the playfield. I ended up using Comet's Opmax purple bulbs. The pics I posted earlier in this thread make it look a lot more purple than it really is (gotta be camera issues), but the purple acts kinda like a UV bulb in that it made the buildings in the center of the playfield really pop w/o an overly purple effect. The cool white looks good too, but I was happy with what the results from the purple. Again, nice job and looks great.

#1585 4 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Looks great! I did the spotlights on mine too, mounted from basically the same location, and it really helps to lighten up the middle of the playfield. I ended up using Comet's Opmax purple bulbs. The pics I posted earlier in this thread make it look a lot more purple than it really is (gotta be camera issues), but the purple acts kinda like a UV bulb in that it made the buildings in the center of the playfield really pop w/o an overly purple effect. The cool white looks good too, but I was happy with what the results from the purple. Again, nice job and looks great.

Thanks! I could always buy purple and swap out the bulbs. Also, was it your backglass with the bright white light bulbs? I have the soft white LEDs which make it look old. Those brighter white bulbs really help update the backglass. I had multiple colored soft LEDs but it just looked too "rainbowy."

20200112_105233 (resized).jpg20200112_105233 (resized).jpg
#1586 4 years ago

I've heard people say that Data East is basically the precursor to modern Stern. What do they mean by this? Anyway, call me crazy but many of my favorite tables are Data East. They seem to have had a lot of cool licensed IPs in the 90's instead of just weird William's themes like Junk Yard and Party Zone.

#1587 4 years ago
Quoted from cyberslunk:

I've heard people say that Data East is basically the precursor to modern Stern. What do they mean by this? Anyway, call me crazy but many of my favorite tables are Data East. They seem to have had a lot of cool licensed IPs in the 90's instead of just weird William's themes like Junk Yard and Party Zone.

Chicago Coin was bought by Gary Stern's father and was renamed Stern Electronics. Stern Electronics went out of business on 1981-82. And then some way some how Gary Stern would up with, or started Data East. And then Gary moved on to today's Stern Corporation.

#1588 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Very disappointed in this day and age something as simple as printing on plastics can't be done as well or better than the originals from 40 or 50 years ago.

I agree. I am sure that they could but it all comes down to cost. I have had many repro plastics that I could not use - shame.

#1589 4 years ago
Quoted from Bakerman:

amazon.com link »

This is a great idea. Is the "Hole4.0mm L8.0mm" the right size to order for most plastics?

#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Chicago Coin was bought by Gary Stern's father and was renamed Stern Electronics. Stern Electronics went out of business on 1981-82. And then some way some how Gary Stern would up with, or started Data East. And then Gary moved on to today's Stern Corporation.

I believe DE sold to Saga then Gary bought it back

#1591 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thanks! I could always buy purple and swap out the bulbs. Also, was it your backglass with the bright white light bulbs? I have the soft white LEDs which make it look old. Those brighter white bulbs really help update the backglass. I had multiple colored soft LEDs but it just looked too "rainbowy."[quoted image]

No, mine has mostly a mix of colored, frosted 2smd Comet bulbs, and a few odd balls; I added a 2-flex red behind “mutant”, a green led strip behind the topper, and a couple other natural white flex bulbs. I played around with a few different colors but this is where I settled (currently). Some of the flashers are colored too; and some natural white.

C45675A5-DD12-4FF8-92C4-8AD416525F33 (resized).jpegC45675A5-DD12-4FF8-92C4-8AD416525F33 (resized).jpeg455B079B-A6C4-44D1-881F-C92011A56FFC (resized).jpeg455B079B-A6C4-44D1-881F-C92011A56FFC (resized).jpeg
#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

No, mine has mostly a mix of colored, frosted 2smd Comet bulbs, and a few odd balls; I added a 2-flex red behind “mutant”, a green led strip behind the topper, and a couple other natural white flex bulbs. I played around with a few different colors but this is where I settled (currently). Some of the flashers are colored too; and some natural white.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very creative! Nice job on color/bulb selection.

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

No, mine has mostly a mix of colored, frosted 2smd Comet bulbs, and a few odd balls; I added a 2-flex red behind “mutant”, a green led strip behind the topper, and a couple other natural white flex bulbs. I played around with a few different colors but this is where I settled (currently). Some of the flashers are colored too; and some natural white.[quoted image][quoted image]

I tried copying you with my 1smd soft leds, minus a few items. I still like yours more. Beats the old fashioned yellowish look.
20200125_204905 (resized).jpg20200125_204905 (resized).jpg20200125_204925 (resized).jpg20200125_204925 (resized).jpg

#1594 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I tried coping you with my 1smd soft leds, minus a few items. I still like yours more. Beats the old fashioned yellowish look.[quoted image][quoted image]

Definitely looks better than just warm whites, IMO. I also have dual flex natural whites in the center area under April’s face and under sword. Little details and preferences...

#1595 4 years ago
Quoted from RYSR:

I believe DE sold to Saga then Gary bought it back

I almost got a job there... Data East had a program, that if you were with the
company for five years you got a free trip to Hawaii... When Sega took over
the program was stopped... I believe any people lost their free vacation trip.

1 week later
#1596 4 years ago

Just came across this thread and happy to join this club.
The first 4 machines I ever owned were Data East and I still have 3 of them
Guns n Roses
Monday Night Football
Royal Rumble
I have since restored a LW3 in black and also own a Baywatch which is still Data East to me in every facet apart from the label

#1597 4 years ago

Looking for a slide latch for the backbox light board in data East pinball. Marco is out anyone have one to sell?

Thanks!

#1598 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy1:

Pinballsparesparts.com.au
Hope this helps [quoted image]

Thanks for suggesting. But that ramp is for Sterns Simpson’s Pinball Party!

#1599 4 years ago

Does anyone have, or know of, where I could score a Vertical Up Kicker (VUK) deflector bracket for TM? I have had orders cancelled from Marco and Ministry of Pinball.

Mine is in really bad shape, and I don't know if my sheet metal "expert" buddy has the skill to replicate one.

VUK (resized).jpgVUK (resized).jpg
#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Does anyone have, or know of, where I could score a Vertical Up Kicker (VUK) deflector bracket for TM? I have had orders cancelled from Marco and Ministry of Pinball.
Mine is in really bad shape, and I don't know if my sheet metal "expert" buddy has the skill to replicate one.[quoted image]

Try a welding shop. They may be able to replicate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 259.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.50
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/32?hl=andy1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.