• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 61.
#1451 4 years ago

I was playing a 2hr session on my LAH last night, and toward the end the right flipper finger grew weak and wouldn't hold anymore, e.g. when the middle chute returned the ball to the right flipper that I was holding up, it would drop down from the impact of the ball.

Any ideas?

#1452 4 years ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Yup[quoted image]

This was a GI connector on my Monday Night Football.

IMG_20191018_204056 (resized).jpgIMG_20191018_204056 (resized).jpg
#1453 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I was playing a 2hr session on my LAH last night, and toward the end the right flipper finger grew weak and wouldn't hold anymore, e.g. when the middle chute returned the ball to the right flipper that I was holding up, it would drop down from the impact of the ball.
Any ideas?

Check the fuse clips on the Flipper Board (in the cabinet) and the Playfield Power Board (in the back box, with the big white resistors).
Clean the mech of the flipper.

#1454 4 years ago

Note: IDC connectors max current is 2.5 amps. It was a bad idea on Data Easts side to use them...
I experimented with other brands that had a higher current rating.
Technically, the PCB should have had "doubled-up" connectors for
the G.I. lighting; like what Williams did on their WPC system.
Even then, it was not a fail safe system.

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: IDC connectors max current is 2.5 amps. It was a bad idea on Data Easts side to use them...

Which is why LEDs are a must.

I just got a Secret Service a few weeks ago, change out the lamps was the very first thing done.

#1456 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check the fuse clips on the Flipper Board (in the cabinet) and the Playfield Power Board (in the back box, with the big white resistors).
Clean the mech of the flipper.

Could the fuses affect ONE side only?

But anyway, will check everything on the weekend including coil stops and EOS switches.

#1457 4 years ago

Joining with a lovely, mint-looking Torpedo Alley!

#1458 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

Could the fuses affect ONE side only?
But anyway, will check everything on the weekend including coil stops and EOS switches.

Yes, it could.
Mainly the flipper board fuses.
Each flipper is fused seperately.

#1459 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, it could.

Ah, got it. Thanks! I‘ll look into that.

#1460 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I experimented with other brands that had a higher current rating.
Technically, the PCB should have had "doubled-up" connectors for
the G.I. lighting; like what Williams did on their WPC system.
Even then, it was not a fail safe system.

So switching that J5 connector to molex would help? What's weird is the connector for CN8 still looks good.

I'm not really a fan of leds; I did switch all the GIs on the playfield and backbox to 47s when I first got the pin.

#1461 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Joining with a lovely, mint-looking Torpedo Alley!

Awesome dude have any pictures?

#1462 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, it could.

Found the culprit: Fuses are fine, but coil stops are busted.

#1463 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

#1464 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Awesome dude have any pictures?

Very fun game but a bit easy. I can roll it fairly often. I haven't tinkered yet, but faster slings and a jacking the back legs might help difficulty. I wonder if lightning flips would work, too. The lane change bonus at the back scores way too high IMO and breaks the game. Doesn't seem to be enough reward for sinking the ships(?). Still, I have a fairly large collection and this one looks, sounds and feels FUN after bashing my head against the other brutal games in my collection! Plus, it's my 8-year old's fave to play

Torpedo 001 (resized).jpgTorpedo 001 (resized).jpgTorpedo 002 (resized).jpgTorpedo 002 (resized).jpgTorpedo 003 (resized).jpgTorpedo 003 (resized).jpg
#1465 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Very fun game but a bit easy. I can roll it fairly often. I haven't tinkered yet, but faster slings and a jacking the back legs might help difficulty. I wonder if lightning flips would work, too. The lane change bonus at the back scores way too high IMO and breaks the game. Doesn't seem to be enough reward for sinking the ships(?). Still, I have a fairly large collection and this one looks, sounds and feels FUN after bashing my head against the other brutal games in my collection! Plus, it's my 8-year old's fave to play [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Remember to protect your game for spontanious fire!
Put in fuses before the rectifiers in the back box.
Or you can use a Bridge Board.
More info, goto my website http://www.inkochnito.nl and click on the Bridge Board image (top left image).

Peter

#1466 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Very fun game but a bit easy. I can roll it fairly often. I haven't tinkered yet, but faster slings and a jacking the back legs might help difficulty. I wonder if lightning flips would work, too. The lane change bonus at the back scores way too high IMO and breaks the game. Doesn't seem to be enough reward for sinking the ships(?). Still, I have a fairly large collection and this one looks, sounds and feels FUN after bashing my head against the other brutal games in my collection! Plus, it's my 8-year old's fave to play [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The translite of that game is incredible

#1467 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

More info, goto my website http://www.inkochnito.nl and click on the Bridge Board image (top left image).
Peter

thanks for the tip!

Quoted from harig:

The translite of that game is incredible

it IS jaw-dropping, is it not?

#1468 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Peter

Thanks for this info. You recommend this board in home use games? I have had power issues in my Tommy previously. I assume he sells them? Thanks for the help.

#1469 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for this info. You recommend this board in home use games? I have had power issues in my Tommy previously. I assume he sells them? Thanks for the help.

I recommend this board for all games with no fuses before the rectifiers.
Even in home use, if you start smelling something you are too late and the damage is done.
When a bridge rectifier goed bad and shorts this is the result of the wire loom....

PinBot_3 (resized).jpgPinBot_3 (resized).jpg
#1470 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

So, changed the coil stops, everything‘s back to normal. And boy where the busted! No wonder the flippers were acting all wonky!!!

82497860-7854-4750-9F3E-59783B711076 (resized).jpeg82497860-7854-4750-9F3E-59783B711076 (resized).jpeg
#1471 4 years ago

A hammer and a pining tool and you would be all set.

#1472 4 years ago

Looking to replace the cooling towers on my Simpsons but would have a easier time finding Atlantis. Anyone know if tspp towers will work as replacements?

1 week later
#1473 4 years ago

Just throwing it out there, but I am hoping to make replacement ramps soon for TMNT and Checkpoint. If anyone would like to be put on the interest list for either of these, please send me a PM and I will be sure to add you. As always, no money is due until the ramp is ready to ship. Also, if someone has a broken TMNT ramp they would like to donate, a new TMNT ramp will be provided free of charge to the donor. Thanks!

#1474 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Just throwing it out there, but I am hoping to make replacement ramps soon for TMNT and Checkpoint. If anyone would like to be put on the interest list for either of these, please send me a PM and I will be sure to add you. As always, no money is due until the ramp is ready to ship. Also, if someone has a broken TMNT ramp they would like to donate, a new TMNT ramp will be provided free of charge to the donor. Thanks!

How about making a new thread and posting a link to it in this club and the 2 individual clubs as well.

1 week later
#1475 4 years ago

I've had the time machine for 20+yrs and couple of secret service's (getting another one soon) and just finished a partial resto on a torpedo alley. Fun machine!

1575083383548-1491563625 (resized).jpg1575083383548-1491563625 (resized).jpg1575083146338-1592248451 (resized).jpg1575083146338-1592248451 (resized).jpg20191123_100720 (resized).jpg20191123_100720 (resized).jpg20191120_220003 (resized).jpg20191120_220003 (resized).jpg20191129_123231 (resized).jpg20191129_123231 (resized).jpg
#1476 4 years ago
Quoted from mad940:

I've had the time machine for 20+yrs and couple of secret service's (getting another one soon) and just finished a partial resto on a torpedo alley. Fun machine![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WOW, I see a Saratoga Pinball Show card in there!!

I've been spending a ton of time bringing my Torpedo Alley back from the dead. The game is an absolute WRECK from Florida, but TA deserves the restoration. FANTASTIC game, and the best light show of any 80's game by far. I mean KEITH ELWIN owns one, how much more proof do you need?

Currently the game boots, has a rottendog MPU, but none of the cabinet switches/buttons register at all, thus I cannot interact with the game at all. Solenoids are kicking locked balls out and playfield switches are registering. I traced the green wires off the coin door and they have continuity all the way back to the board. I switched in a different coin door (Checkpoint was close enough) and the coin rejects light up but still no buttons will work. What should I look into next?

Quoted from Pinballer67:

Another awesome TA! Definitely adjust that bad boy up! It shouldn't be that easy. Needs to be brutally fast. Also did you or the previous owner light the star posts and color match the rubbers?? That's some hardcore color matching going on...

#1477 4 years ago

Had to start over and take playfield down to bare bones. All new pin life l.e.d.s. cleaned a ton of rattle can blue over spray off everything. Mine also was a wreck but, worth saving. I swapped mpu for one I kept out a secret s. Built new back box it was full of sheet rock screws and 5 coats of latex I think.
At one time I remember having cn13 and 14 swapped. But, might be inside the connector pins sometimes they break the springy part off or feel like it's pushing on hard but still not making contact on board pin.

15753410053511739305500 (resized).jpg15753410053511739305500 (resized).jpg20191016_183252 (resized).jpg20191016_183252 (resized).jpg20191016_183347 (resized).jpg20191016_183347 (resized).jpg
#1478 4 years ago

Is there a Stern general thread similar to this? Thanks.

#1479 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is there a Stern general thread similar to this? Thanks.

This maybe? For the classic Sterns when it was Stern Electronics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/51#post-5332377

#1481 4 years ago

Laser War
MNF (resently added)
& BTTF

Makes up 2/3's of my collection

....pics coming soon

p.s. Data East fan boy all the way

#1482 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks, guess I can start one.

I don't see any Stern games listed in your collection.

#1483 4 years ago
Quoted from josh0203:

Laser War
MNF (resently added)
& BTTF

Makes up 2/3's of my collection

? The other 1-and-a-half machine in your collection must be Hercules.

#1484 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I don't see any Stern games listed in your collection.

Need to update it. AC/DC pro and Elvis. Pretty well have 2 DE, 2 Ballys, 2 Williams and 2 Stern. Thanks.

#1485 4 years ago

Started a full shop on my time machine this weekend. Took apart the chime box so I could run the chimes through the tumbler and replace the coil sleeves. I found that I only had 2 of 3 of the pins that make contact with the chimes. Anyone know if these are available, or what the correct terminology is?

15757332406532338917928265122339 (resized).jpg15757332406532338917928265122339 (resized).jpg
#1486 4 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Started a full shop on my time machine this weekend. Took apart the chime box so I could run the chimes through the tumbler and replace the coil sleeves. I found that I only had 2 of 3 of the pins that make contact with the chimes. Anyone know if these are available, or what the correct terminology is?[quoted image]

http://www.pbresource.com/bells.html#chime

GTB-A1487+ $3.40ea

#1488 4 years ago

Another DE in the line up, sing again!

Need to do a board search for the fellow who does the mask decals.. or make my own.

20191207_152805_resized (resized).jpg20191207_152805_resized (resized).jpg

#1489 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a new set of plastics for my Data East TMNT, mainly for that Michelangelo triangular piece near the pop bumpers. Before I swap out plastics, does anyone know if there are any protective plastics/Cliffy's that could prevent damaging my new plastic?

Here's a pic of the old plastic.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20191207-175449_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191207-175449_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1490 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Guys,
I just purchased a new set of plastics for my Data East TMNT, mainly for that Michelangelo triangular piece near the pop bumpers. Before I swap out plastics, does anyone know if there are any protective plastics/Cliffy's that could prevent damaging my new plastic?
Here's a pic of the old plastic.
Thanks![quoted image]

You could buy a small sheet of .030 Lexan/polycarbonate and make your own plastic protector if you cannot locate one already made.

ebay.com link: LEXAN SHEET POLYCARBONATE CLEAR 030 x 24 x 12

#1491 4 years ago

You can use the round lexan washers also.

#1492 4 years ago

I have only 3 pinball, all data east: tales from the crypt, jurassic park and lethal weapon 3

#1493 4 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Attacked the mask decal install. Lots of arts and crafts to cut out the mask but it was not that difficult in the end. It does have transparency so the flashers do show the face behind the mask. A+[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I did a decal a few months ago. Works great

#1495 4 years ago
Quoted from MG7322:

I did a decal a few months ago. Works great

What paper did you use? I have some water slide in stock I was thinking about trying.

#1496 4 years ago

Thanks to cottonm4 and drummermike for the feedback on using plastic protector or washers. Do you guys recommend using oversized washers/protectors that go slightly beyond edge of the playfield plastic in need of protection? I guess the ball would hit the protection edge first, preventing edge contact with ball? I should look at my Stern DP Pro for ideas. I'm guessing the additional layer of plastic also stiffens the existing playfied plastic.

#1497 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thanks to cottonm4 and drummermike for the feedback on using plastic protector or washers. Do you guys recommend using oversized washers/protectors that go slightly beyond edge of the playfield plastic in need of protection? I guess the ball would hit the protection edge first, preventing edge contact with ball? I should look at my Stern DP Pro for ideas. I'm guessing the additional layer of plastic also stiffens the existing playfied plastic.

If the plastic is one that gets much ball impact I like to make my protector a little oversized so it absorbs the hit.

#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

I have only 3 pinball, all data east: tales from the crypt, jurassic park and lethal weapon 3

"Only"? Sounds like a solid lineup to me!

#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Go oversize on the washers.

#1500 4 years ago

This sounds really odd, but I'm thinking about building a pin and the theme will be.. Data East.

It could have ramps and shots from various DE games along with various game call outs. Hit the pop bumpers? Einstein bonus building. Hit a trapdoor? Get the voice from Phantom of the Opera. Shoot the ramp 8 times to light "DATA EAST" Choose a sound track from 1 of 6 DE games. And so on.

I'm still stirring the concept in my head, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 259.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/30?hl=bowtech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.