• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 62.
#1351 4 years ago

I will be using it in a Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#1352 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

So an update on DMD power issues and game not working. The tech replaced pins 10-12 in CN1 and I bypassed the DMD issue a little. I had bought a LED colordmd for the game and apparently this dmd draws less power than the original. So after installing the color dmd, it appears fine. There was one section of the powerboard that was not drawing enough power when tested. If anyone wants specifics, I can ask the tech for more details.
The game did restart one time during gameplay but that was before replacing the three pins in CN1.
Thanks for all the help getting the game up and running! Jim

I think it would be great to post all the specifics for owners that might have this problem come up in the future. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

#1353 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:It looks like you need to re-position some of the wires.
In which game do you need to use it?
In some cases you need to short the EOS connection.[quoted image]

I think Frank at TNT Amusements did this sometime in the past? You might want to call them and ask. They've been known to build modifications for DE games.

#1354 4 years ago

Ok, can try to shoot an email.thanks

#1355 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I think it would be great to post all the specifics for owners that might have this problem come up in the future. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

This was an issue with the DMD not working properly (scrambled lines on the display) and not getting enough power. Changed the power board to an Xpin power board and there appeared to be burned pins 10/11/12 at CN1 on the power board.

Here is what my tech said:

The only issue we found was the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

#1356 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

This was an issue with the DMD not working properly (scrambled lines on the display) and not getting enough power. Changed the power board to an Xpin power board and there appeared to be burned pins 10/11/12 at CN1 on the power board.
The only issue we found was the -98v was low right off the power supply at -89v. All the VAC from the transformer tested good as does the voltage coming into CN1.

#1357 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Told ya! The power supply on Data East games need to be rebuilt. They’re all dying right now. New caps and it’s good as new!

#1358 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Told ya! The power supply on Data East games need to be rebuilt. They’re all dying right now. New caps and it’s good as new!

Thanks for the help. Now I am having a ball eject issue. Keep getting an error message that there are Too Many Balls. The ball ejection coil keeps firing off after a ball enters the shooter lane. Also it fires off before you start a new game. The plastic below the coil looks damaged, maybe from resting the playfield on the top of the cabinet.

Any ideas? Thanks.

#1359 4 years ago

And some having burnt connectors as his did.

#1360 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Keep getting an error message that there are Too Many Balls. The ball ejection coil keeps firing off after a ball enters the shooter lane. Also it fires off before you start a new game. The plastic below the coil looks damaged, maybe from resting the playfield on the top of the cabinet.

Picture of this would help.

Never seen a Too Many Balls error message show on any DE game display. How many balls you have in the trough?

It sounds like the game is doing a ball search because it thinks it never kicked a ball up to the shooter lane, where the game is expecting it to be. At the very least, it sounds like the shooter lane switch is not registering. I suggest testing all the switches in the game (including all trough switches) in the switch test as it will help to know if it is a single switch error, a whole row not registering, or a whole column of switches not registering. Not knowing the details, we can continue to guess where the problem lies.

#1361 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone in the U.S. is selling a Data East Translucent Red Plunger Rod. The only place that I am able to find the DE rod is in Europe. I'm looking to upgrade my TMNT kicker assembly with the Stern version and wanted to replace my current plunger rod (springs, clips, tip are being reused). I tried posting on the Marketplace but it keeps asking me what I want to sell (if that makes any sense).

Thanks!

Screenshot_20190923-080822_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190923-080822_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1362 4 years ago

I could get the rod for you and mail it over to the US if you like (I'm in Germany). Still shipping will probably not be cheap with the rates these days...

#1363 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I could get the rod for you and mail it over to the US if you like (I'm in Germany). Still shipping will probably not be cheap with the rates these days...

Excellent! I'll send you a PM.

#1364 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to know if anyone in the U.S. is selling a Data East Translucent Red Plunger Rod. The only place that I am able to find the DE rod is in Europe. I'm looking to upgrade my TMNT kicker assembly with the Stern version and wanted to replace my current plunger rod (springs, clips, tip are being reused). I tried posting on the Marketplace but it keeps asking me what I want to sell (if that makes any sense).
Thanks![quoted image]

Pretty much everyone sells them. I know I've gotten a few trans red ones from Pinball Life.
https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-shooter-plunger-rod-red-translucent-knob.html

Is there a specific length that machine takes, that is not standard?

#1365 4 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Pretty much everyone sells them. I know I've gotten a few trans red ones from Pinball Life.
https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-shooter-plunger-rod-red-translucent-knob.html
Is there a specific length that machine takes, that is not standard?

Believe he wants the DE molded into the knob.

#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Believe he wants the DE molded into the knob.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, prefer the DE molded knob. We'll see if I can reach Ministry of Pinball for shipping options. I have a feeling they do not ship to U.S.

#1367 4 years ago

When looking for Data East parts has anyone come across the correct rubber bungee strap to hold up the playfield? I could use a replacement for a Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Picture of this would help.
Never seen a Too Many Balls error message show on any DE game display. How many balls you have in the trough?
It sounds like the game is doing a ball search because it thinks it never kicked a ball up to the shooter lane, where the game is expecting it to be. At the very least, it sounds like the shooter lane switch is not registering. I suggest testing all the switches in the game (including all trough switches) in the switch test as it will help to know if it is a single switch error, a whole row not registering, or a whole column of switches not registering. Not knowing the details, we can continue to guess where the problem lies.

Here is a short video that shows the issue. When I turn on the game, ball eject coil will shot about five times, then mechanism in shooter lane that shoots the ball goes off, which stops the coil from triggering. When I start the game, ball will eject properly and then ejection coil starts to shot again.

As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact. Thanks for the help!

8605F297-5BBF-4996-8525-241566E02E8A (resized).jpeg8605F297-5BBF-4996-8525-241566E02E8A (resized).jpeg

#1369 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact.

That is a diode on the coil, notes resistor.

I will wait for the results of the switch test.

#1370 4 years ago

That is a diode on the coil, notes resistor.
I will wait for the results of the switch test.

Thanks for the correction. I will see if I can get the switch test to work. I know the trough clean function doesn't work. Balls remain in the trough.

#1371 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I know the trough clean function doesn't work.

Are you saying the coil is not firing? If so, will it fire in the solenoid test?

#1372 4 years ago

Are you saying the coil is not firing? If so, will it fire in the solenoid test?

The coil fires in the trough clear mode but no balls come out.

#1373 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for the correction. I will see if I can get the switch test to work. I know the trough clean function doesn't work. Balls remain in the trough.

I ran the test but not sure how to interpret the results. Didn't indicate any errors, that I could see. How would it indicate if there was a problem? Thanks.

#1374 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Thanks, guys. Yeah, prefer the DE molded knob. We'll see if I can reach Ministry of Pinball for shipping options. I have a feeling they do not ship to U.S.

Doh! I didn't even notice that one had the DE imprint. My bad.
Carry on....

Good luck.

#1375 4 years ago

So I was setting up my newly restored Checkpoint... when it fell off the stool I was propping the back of the game up with trying to put on the legs.
I know better then to try catching a falling machine, but it slammed down HARD.
It sheered off the connectors to my mini-DMD and now half of it is out. It blew out the bottom speaker, cone was blown apart. Now no solenoids will work and I have the extremely loud Data East hum and you can barely hear the game sounds...
I’m extremely discouraged and heartbroken as my friend was helping me restore this game and I literally just picked it up last Tuesday from his house after nearly 8 months of being there. Didn’t even get a chance to play it

Any suggestions where to start?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1376 4 years ago

Man
Your run of bad luck has to end soon.

I would start by reseating all connectors, replace the speaker, verify all socketed chips are seated, and then go with the basics - verify good clean power first.

Good luck. She will live again!

#1377 4 years ago

So I was setting up my newly restored Checkpoint... when it fell off the stool I was propping the back of the game up with trying to put on the legs.
I know better then to try catching a falling machine, but it slammed down HARD.
It sheered off the connectors to my mini-DMD and now half of it is out. It blew out the bottom speaker, cone was blown apart. Now no solenoids will work and I have the extremely loud Data East hum and you can barely hear the game sounds...
I’m extremely discouraged and heartbroken as my friend was helping me restore this game and I literally just picked it up last Tuesday from his house after nearly 8 months of being there. Didn’t even get a chance to play it
Any suggestions where to start?

Major Bummer, man. It could happen to anyone. You are causing me to think I need to get busy on making a jack up devise like this guy did.

See post #317

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-and-tell-your-diy-homemade-tools/page/7#post-4118318

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.40.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.40.54 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.40.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-24 at 10.40.38 PM (resized).png

#1378 4 years ago

I bought this metal saw horse at Home Depot. Hold 1,000 pounds. Just slide it under the front of the game to hold up the front legs. I put some felt pads on the top.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-1-compartment-folding-steel-sawhorse/1001018661

7A7D9F45-12FC-4D3B-A2AD-D0030E0FB552 (resized).png7A7D9F45-12FC-4D3B-A2AD-D0030E0FB552 (resized).png
#1379 4 years ago

I use a 2' aluminum folding ladder. It's very strong and it easily slides in between attached legs, from the front or back. It transports easy too.

#1380 4 years ago

I use a Harbor Freight lift with 2 boards bolted to it. It allows the cabinet to rest along the front edge and back edge as if you are lifting it by hand. Best pinball investment that I've made.

That said, sorry to hear of your misfortune isochronic. As others have mentioned, she'll be back. Just fix what you see that is obvious and run the normal checks. I would guess that it is more daunting in theory and actuality.

#1381 4 years ago

Oh I’m guilty of using an old bar stool stack with a handful of odd-sized cook books on top to get the job done.

More than once

#1382 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Here is a short video that shows the issue. When I turn on the game, ball eject coil will shot about five times, then mechanism in shooter lane that shoots the ball goes off, which stops the coil from triggering. When I start the game, ball will eject properly and then ejection coil starts to shot again.
As mentioned, there is some damage to the bottom of the coil but the resister seems to be intact. Thanks for the help!

[quoted image]

I was able to figure out my ball eject issue, for those that may come across the same issue down the road. When I started the game, the ball eject coil would fire off five times and also after the ball would launch. Also, game would stall with multi ball as game was not registering that ball was over. Also got error message 'Too many balls' and switch test indicated there were 7 balls.

The issue was that metal arm in the photo below. It had somehow got stuck behind the metal plate in front of it so it was not properly registering that a ball was ready to be ejected. Once I pushed it past the metal plate, closer to the balls, the game functioned perfectly.

D15E356A-671A-4026-A187-C980E161A4BB (resized).jpegD15E356A-671A-4026-A187-C980E161A4BB (resized).jpeg

#1383 4 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone installed Frank's Famous Lithium Battery Board on their Data East MPU? I bought this board to replace the AA battery holder. Unfortunately, the replacement board didn't come with instructions. I sent an email to Todd at TNT and he responded quickly, letting me know there were no instructions for board install. I know...why would I buy this without having enough background in electronics? Short answer: I didn't do enough research, especially on NVRAM. I have no problem soldering/desoldering boards but want to make sure I install correctly. Just hoping for some guidance.

Thanks Guys

20190928_085645 (resized).jpg20190928_085645 (resized).jpg20190928_085649 (resized).jpg20190928_085649 (resized).jpg20190928_085745 (resized).jpg20190928_085745 (resized).jpg20190928_085759 (resized).jpg20190928_085759 (resized).jpg
#1384 4 years ago

reach out to frank he has them listed on ebay pm him there.
also in your profile add your town and state you may get some local help!

#1385 4 years ago

For the price of that battery board, you could have bought a NVRAM and no worries about soldering anything on DE/Sega/Stern Whitestar games, as NVRAM is Plug and Play.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#1386 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Hey Everyone,
Has anyone installed Frank's Famous Lithium Battery Board on their Data East MPU? I bought this board to replace the AA battery holder. Unfortunately, the replacement board didn't come with instructions. I sent an email to Todd at TNT and he responded quickly, letting me know there were no instructions for board install. I know...why would I buy this without having enough background in electronics? Short answer: I didn't do enough research, especially on NVRAM. I have no problem soldering/desoldering boards but want to make sure I install correctly. Just hoping for some guidance.
Thanks Guys[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

take off the battery holder.
you are going to use the bottom 4 solder holes on the board
match up the positive on the right side of your new board with the positive on the bottom right where the old battery holder was and the negative with the middle right connector on the board

install (resized).jpginstall (resized).jpg
#1387 4 years ago

For the price of that battery board, you could have bought a NVRAM and no worries about soldering anything on DE/Sega/Stern Whitestar games, as NVRAM is Plug and Play.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Damn, that is a great alternative. If I understand correctly, all I'd need to do is clip out the old holder and replace or swap out one of those chips with NVRAM.

Thanks again!

#1388 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Damn, that is a great alternative. If I understand correctly, all I'd need to do is clip out the old holder and replace or swap out one of those chips with NVRAM.
Thanks again!

Correct. I clip off the battery holder to keep anyone from installing batteries because alkaline batteries no doubt will get installed.

5D gets swapped out.
https://www.pinitech.com/product_images/ram_locations/ramloc_dataeast.jpg

#1389 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

take off the battery holder.
you are going to use the bottom 4 solder holes on the board
match up the positive on the right side of your new board with the positive on the bottom right where the old battery holder was and the negative with the middle right connector on the board[quoted image]

Even better! This is exactly what I need for the moment.

Thanks jgadzia!

#1390 4 years ago

Anyone with a Tommy, I just finished a Who Pinsound orchestration for Tommy. The link is below.

Added some original Who songs to JULIEN42's Tommy orchestration. Songs included:

- Who Are You, The Seeker, My Generation, Heaven and Hell, Won't Get Fooled Again, Magic Bus, Behind Blue Eyes, Baby O'Riley, Love Reign Over Me, You Better You Bet, Smash the Mirror, Were Not Going to Take It.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/281-the-who-greatest_pinballjah/

#1391 4 years ago

does anyone have a simpsons playfield scan?

1 week later
#1392 4 years ago

To those looking to replace their DE TMNT ball launch/kicker arm assembly with the Stern version, be prepared. I had to cut some of the metal off to fit, along with drilling another hole. Also, make sure you have a rod longer than the original DE rod. I ended up getting the stern ball launch working but did not have the correct length rod. I ended up going back to the original kicker arm assembly because I prefer the DE rod. Ugh...time wasted, lesson learned.

20191006_134133 (resized).jpg20191006_134133 (resized).jpg20191007_133720 (resized).jpg20191007_133720 (resized).jpg20191007_125846 (resized).jpg20191007_125846 (resized).jpg20191007_133715 (resized).jpg20191007_133715 (resized).jpg
#1393 4 years ago

Interesting about the rod being too short. I didn't have a problem with my shooter rod being too short. Here's a video I shot of replacing my kicker:

Looking at the video, I do see the rubber tip is a little short within the Stern kicker "arms" but I haven't noticed a problem with it working.

You're definitely right in that there has to be some trimming of the Stern kicker and some new holes drilled. I also re-positioned the coil/bracket (looks like the same way you did). It's a little involved but for me it has worked out well.

#1394 4 years ago
Quoted from rlbohon3:

Interesting about the rod being too short. I didn't have a problem with my shooter rod being too short. Here's a video I shot of replacing my kicker:

Looking at the video, I do see the rubber tip is a little short within the Stern kicker "arms" but I haven't noticed a problem with it working.
You're definitely right in that there has to be some trimming of the Stern kicker and some new holes drilled. I also re-positioned the coil/bracket (looks like the same way you did). It's a little involved but for me it has worked out well.

That's great! I'm wondering if the rubber tip would add just enough length, but that's for another time. Here's a video with mine. It wasn't quite centered with the ball (stern fork kept tilting a bit to the left). I figure the support plate needed to be more flush to the wood. Anyway, thanks for your support!

#1395 4 years ago
Quoted from paolinux:

does anyone have a simpsons playfield scan?

Plus 1 on this request. A friend of mine just picked up his first game, a The Simpsons .
The Playfield is in OK shape, but it has the typical playfield wear around the flipper and inlane/outlane area, with some pretty bad touchup. Does anyone sell a decal or have a scan of this area?
I was thinking of printing a high quality sticker (Similar to what has been done with The Flintstones ) and putting mylar over it.

Also need the left bank target plastic(with ball deflector), left lane guide plastic, and Cooling Tower Pop Bumpers (original design).
IMG_6933 (resized).jpgIMG_6933 (resized).jpg

#1396 4 years ago

HEY GUYS! NEED FUSE HOLDER CAP FOR LAH POWER SUPPLY. PULLED MINE FOR SECRET SERVICE SALE. CANT FIND INFO OR ON EBAY. HAVENT PLAYED IN MONTHS. THANKS

78468E2E-123D-4C0E-9293-C8D6118BA1FB (resized).jpeg78468E2E-123D-4C0E-9293-C8D6118BA1FB (resized).jpeg
#1397 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Plus 1 on this request. A friend of mine just picked up his first game, a The Simpsons .
The Playfield is in OK shape, but it has the typical playfield wear around the flipper and inlane/outlane area, with some pretty bad touchup. Does anyone sell a decal or have a scan of this area?
I was thinking of printing a high quality sticker (Similar to what has been done with The Flintstones ) and putting mylar over it.
Also need the left bank target plastic(with ball deflector), left lane guide plastic, and Cooling Tower Pop Bumpers (original design).
[quoted image]

I’m up for a sticker too. Also need it in upper right at more bar.

#1398 4 years ago
Quoted from moonraker:

HEY GUYS! NEED FUSE HOLDER CAP FOR LAH POWER SUPPLY. PULLED MINE FOR SECRET SERVICE SALE. CANT FIND INFO OR ON EBAY. HAVENT PLAYED IN MONTHS. THANKS[quoted image]

This setup should work.....
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Panel-Holder/dp/B000XBB8YI

#1399 4 years ago

I want to find a fuse cap to fit right into power supply hole, I don’t want to open up the power supply and hack a holder in, nothings broken. Just need to find one that fits

#1400 4 years ago
Quoted from moonraker:

I want to find a fuse cap to fit right into power supply hole, I don’t want to open up the power supply and hack a holder in, nothings broken. Just need to find one that fits

A used cap is your only chance. New ones are not threaded the same or do not have the same cap dimensions, different manufactures, etc. all fit a bit different than one another.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.