• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 61.
#1001 5 years ago

Happy 1000th post DE fans!

#1002 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Happy 1000th post DE fans!

Hooray! I need backbox hinges for a Laser War. Please help

#1003 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Hooray! I need backbox hinges for a Laser War. Please help

Wish I could! Good luck finding one.

1 month later
#1004 5 years ago

Anyone interested in a GIzmo led smoother for GI for system 11 and data east? It’s to kill the strobe effect in the GI when the lights flicker on and off and makes them shut off more like incandescents. I’ve decided to put in something a little more programmable. Asking $50 for it and it’s maybe been used a total of 3 hours. I’d include shipping for free if within the US.

#1005 5 years ago

Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can guide me here.

I am working on a Time Machine that powers up lights, but nothing else. Watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads and I tracked it to the PS board +5v is only putting out about 2v on the TP and CN6. 12v appears normal.
Rectifier and power coming in seems good as well.

So far here is what I've found:
I am going to replace the C2(bad), C3(looks like it was okay but going to just replace it anyway) , C4 most videos say to go ahead and replace it), Broke F1 fuse holder clip so will replace that.

I checked the diodes and D6 and D8 were showing values both ways. I took them out of the circuit and they are showing only 1 way so I assume that means they are good. My question is, is it normal for these two to show both ways in the circuit? Is this a symptom of another issue I need to look for?

Also unclear how to check 2N6057 on the heat sink. I see lots of people say to check it for 5v problems. I tried checking it using the wire leads on the board(C,E,B) as a transistor (not powered, out of the pin), but I'm not really clear if I'm doing it right.

Thanks for any assistance.

#1006 5 years ago

Hey All! We’ve had our Batman for about two weeks now, and we LOVE it. Added the PinSound board and working on upgrading the power supply to support it. I can’t believe that I waited so long to get a pinball (of course, cost was a big factor) but these machines are a ton of fun.

#1007 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hey everyone,
I am working on a Time Machine that powers up lights, but nothing else. Watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads and I tracked it to the PS board +5v is only putting out about 2v on the TP and CN6. 12v appears normal.
I am going to replace the C2(bad), C3(looks like it was okay but going to just replace it anyway) , C4 most videos say to go ahead and replace it), Broke F1 fuse holder clip so will replace that.
I checked the diodes and D6 and D8 were showing values both ways. I took them out of the circuit and they are showing only 1 way so I assume that means they are good. My question is, is it normal for these two to show both ways in the circuit? Is this a symptom of another issue I need to look for?
Also unclear how to check 2N6057 on the heat sink. I see lots of people say to check it for 5v problems. I tried checking it using the wire leads on the board(C,E,B) as a transistor (not powered, out of the pin), but I'm not really clear if I'm doing it right.

Yes, I would change those 3 capacitors and fuse clip first and see what it does. Very likely it will come up running if CN1 does not have any burnt pins.

#1008 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hey everyone,

Just change every cap out on the board and especially change that transistor out. Or buy a new xpin power supply. Problem solved

#1009 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The circuit depends on how it makes the diodes react in the board which is why you do have to remove them in some cases. Might as well install two new diodes if you have them on hand.

From my experience I have not seen too many to 2N6057 transitions bad so I would just leave it for now.

Some of the capacitors are very hard to get out of the board without damaging it. But the three you asked about I definitely would replace right now

#1010 5 years ago

I picked up a LAH recently, my first Data East game. Only replaced drop targets and a couple LEDs but overall really good. I removed the battery holder to install a remote holder and found this on the backside. Pins 1 and 2 on the back of CN-10 which are switch returns 7 and 8 have wires soldered on that then are soldered together next to pin1 but I’m not sure what that is. What was somebody fixing here? The switches on 7 and 8 register correctly I just want to understand since clearly something wasn’t right.

0BE53EF7-F9D9-4599-8909-0062F06B66EA (resized).jpeg0BE53EF7-F9D9-4599-8909-0062F06B66EA (resized).jpeg
#1011 5 years ago

It looks like the two wires together may be for a ground connection. No way for us to tell why that was added unless we see where it goes on the other side. Only a portion is pictured.

#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Hey All! We’ve had our Batman for about two weeks now, and we LOVE it. Added the PinSound board and working on upgrading the power supply to support it. I can’t believe that I waited so long to get a pinball (of course, cost was a big factor) but these machines are a ton of fun.

Batman with Pinsound is absolutely fantastic!
You have to have the Data East power booster for your Pinsound with Batman. I don't know why they don't explain this a more on the Pinsound site, you almost have to search for it.
My Batman's sound was cutting out, I pulled my Xpin from another game to see if it was my Power Supply and it still cut out. Ordered this pretty simple solution and it hasn't skipped since..
https://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=41&controller=product&id_lang=1

#1013 5 years ago

One thing about data east games that I never realized was that the DE power box is cheap as hell to replace.

I'm going through a few simultanious restorations (GNR, TOMMY,Rocky, and Jurassic Park)and I went to refurbish the power boxes. These things don't clean up very easily. They are often rusty after sitting around for 30 years. The power cords were sometimes replaced and often times not well.

Pinballlife stocks msot of the parts needed to build the power supply and beautify the box back to shining like new and all for $13.95

Stern Power Box $3.95:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2836

Line Filter $6.95:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2821

Power Cord $2.30 (Wait until these are on sale):
https://www.grainger.com/product/1FD89?cm_mmc=EMT-_-OrderConf2018NavBar-_-Online-KPIRPE-_-Item&RIID=47757867335&GID=&mid=OrderConfirmation&rfe=ffc3f7ef6a5370e3a7f4f97255bc5baf8c867f93e307eebe60d13083a86545bd

Varistor $.75:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=V130LA20AP

Total: $13.95

Optional:
New Fuse Holder $9.95
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4997

20180815_171619 (resized).jpg20180815_171619 (resized).jpg
#1014 5 years ago
20180825_162424 (resized).jpg20180825_162424 (resized).jpg
#1015 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

It looks like the two wires together may be for a ground connection. No way for us to tell why that was added unless we see where it goes on the other side. Only a portion is pictured.

The part cut off of the picture is the same wires looping back. They had tape over a section and here’s with the tape off. Not sure what this is. Both wires have one and then meet back up and are soldered together on the board.

Also it is on the backside of RA16 not CN10. I looked at the wrong part there.

8115F4F3-4590-4097-BD6F-46CA2A999E77 (resized).jpeg8115F4F3-4590-4097-BD6F-46CA2A999E77 (resized).jpeg

#1016 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

The part cut off of the picture is the same wires looping back. They had tape over a section and here’s with the tape off. Not sure what this is. Both wires have one and then meet back up and are soldered together on the board.
Also it is on the backside of RA16 not CN10. I looked at the wrong part there.
[quoted image]

It looks like a potentiometer between the data line and ground. The could adjust the resistance across one of the built in resistors on that resistor pack. Is that resistor pack cracked on the other side?

I've seen a lot of weird things but this is a new one that I haven't come across yet. I really don't know what they were thinking and those should probably be pulled off and the solder connections cleaned up on the board.

#1017 5 years ago

I think it makes sense now. Measuring all the other pins on RA16 to ground were in the 500s and these as well. I pulled the wire off pin2 and measured to the ground without it and it wasn’t measuring. So something went wrong in the resistor array and this was to bypass it. I will get a replacement 560 x 8 sip. Thanks.

#1018 5 years ago

Okay Data East people, where should these grounding wires be connected? I feel like they shouldn't just be hanging out in the backbox. Thanks

IMG_E1250[1] (resized).JPGIMG_E1250[1] (resized).JPGIMG_E1251[1] (resized).JPGIMG_E1251[1] (resized).JPG
#1019 5 years ago
Quoted from newovad:

Okay Data East people, where should these grounding wires be connected? I feel like they shouldn't just be hanging out in the backbox. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Goes to 2 of the 4 screws that hold the DMD in place.

#1020 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Goes to 2 of the 4 screws that hold the DMD in place.

Thanks!

#1021 5 years ago

Anyone else like to replace the metal posts with standard star posts? I like the look better as it lets more light shine through.
2E412840-3882-473C-A975-C8F6C1091959 (resized).jpeg2E412840-3882-473C-A975-C8F6C1091959 (resized).jpeg861EB4A3-D8C1-4A05-B20C-CFBD08EA45BE (resized).jpeg861EB4A3-D8C1-4A05-B20C-CFBD08EA45BE (resized).jpeg

Also, have a new power board if anyone interested

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “Ended up not needing this power supply board ordered new from ksarcade.net. Compatible with the following: Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, Batman (Data East), Bat...”
2018-08-26
Cumberland, RI
100 (Firm)
Archived after: 40 days
Viewed: 92 times

#1022 5 years ago

That looks nice, hafta give the posts some consideration... thx

#1023 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Anyone else like to replace the metal posts with standard star posts? I like the look better as it lets more light shine through.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Also, have a new power board if anyone interested

Parts - For Sale
Replacement Power Supply For Data East Games, 520-5047-00New!New “Ended up not needing this power supply board ordered new from ksarcade.net.

Compatible with the following:

Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, Batman (Data East), Bat...”
1 day ago Wrentham, MA 100 (Firm)
Rascal_H

I did on my Rocky and Bullwinkle. I saw it in one of the other R&B threads I think.

#1024 5 years ago

Replace C2 and C3 and it's working. Only thing left to track down are the flasher/under the ramp millions board which aren't working

Edit: Correction - the only lights not working are the 2 boards behind the backglass that light up the game name (Time Machine). I am not clear on what flasher set they are supposed to be and they seem to have power going to them and are not burned out. Anyone know what they are called in the manual? Or which jumper they are coming from? When I trace it back it seems like it goes straight to the PS board.

#1025 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Replace C2 and C3 and it's working. Only thing left to track down are the flasher/under the ramp millions board which aren't working
Edit: Correction - the only lights not working are the 2 boards behind the backglass that light up the game name (Time Machine). I am not clear on what flasher set they are supposed to be and they seem to have power going to them and are not burned out. Anyone know what they are called in the manual? Or which jumper they are coming from? When I trace it back it seems like it goes straight to the PS board.

Does this help?
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Time_Machine_Tech_Chart.pdf

TimeMachine_insert (resized).jpgTimeMachine_insert (resized).jpg
#1026 5 years ago

what is the value of a used Data East plunger with the DE letters on the knob?

#1027 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

what is the value of a used Data East plunger with the DE letters on the knob?

They are still available new for around 35/40 Euro

#1028 5 years ago
Quoted from BurnDizzyBurn:

They are still available new for around 35/40 Euro

They are hard to find in the us.

#1029 5 years ago

i have a decent used one if someone wants to make an offer

#1030 5 years ago

Anyone have a solution idea for ball hop to the flippers? I’ve tried adjusting the entire flipper mech position and different flipper rubbers.

The game is LW3.

#1031 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Anyone have a solution idea for ball hop to the flippers? I’ve tried adjusting the entire flipper mech position and different flipper rubbers.
The game is LW3.

Do you mean as the ball is rolling from the in lane to the flippers you get a hop instead of it rolling smoothly?

I have had that on both my games. On one the lane guide near the flipper had been hit by the ball so many times it was mushrooming a dented spot. I used a
Hand file and made it flat in about 30 seconds. On my other game I just loosened the screw on the lane guide and pushed it down a hair then re tightened.

#1032 5 years ago

On DE Simpsons, can you change the special to award points instead of extra balls? On my Comet you can and it makes going for the special fun in a home setting. In the manual I see that I can set replay to award credit, extra ball, ticket or audit. Not sure what ticket means. The big reward for dropping the enemies 5 bank drop targets on the right the third time is 125k and special is lit in the spinner shot. I find I don't go after the enemies target after 2 times because it's not worth it. I don't want to change it to extra ball as there are already 3 ways to get an extra ball in the game, (mystery award, hitting the enemies twice and then hitting the right VUK, and getting to 6x donuts and hitting the right VUK.)
Thanks

#1033 5 years ago

So I went through the audit menu today after work and the game menu for changing the replay value is not what the manual says. In the game menu I can only change it from special to credit to extra ball to none. Anyone know what the difference between special and credit is? I changed it back and forth and both awarded a free game, neither of which are worth going for in the home environment.

#1034 5 years ago

Let's get out the vote for DE on this and surprise some people!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-your-favorite-pinball-company#post-4574613

#1035 5 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Anyone know what the difference between special and credit is?

On some games, if you make the score threshold...
1) special... lite special lamp on playfield.
or
2) credit... award a instant credit.

#1036 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me what fuses are needed for a TFTC original shaker motor? (2.5 amps maybe?)

#1037 5 years ago

TFTC manual should show all fuses used in the game.

#1038 5 years ago

Confirmed 2.5 amps

#1039 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

A little guidance if possible here...

I finally got back my original TFTC which was the first pin I ever owned purchased back in 1997, anyhow other then one or two flaky switches and a sticky upper flipper which a rebuild will address I notice the crypt motor constantly running the tombstone up and down. I first thought that maybe one of the two switches whether up or down might be flaked but they are both registering fine when up & down . Any idea where to look and why it might be doing this?

Thanks

#1040 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Hi Guys,
A little guidance if possible here...
I finally got back my original TFTC which was the first pin I ever owned purchased back in 1997, anyhow other then one or two flaky switches and a sticky upper flipper which a rebuild will address I notice the crypt motor constantly running the tombstone up and down. I first thought that maybe one of the two switches whether up or down might be flaked but they are both registering fine when up & down . Any idea where to look and why it might be doing this?
Thanks

Check the connectors for the tombstone....one of them is probably disconnected.

#1041 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Check the connectors for the tombstone....one of them is probably disconnected.

Okay I found three, 1 to each switch and the other to the motor all of which were connected fine.

Here is a link to the video of it, does it even without any game starting.

IMG_4568 (resized).JPGIMG_4568 (resized).JPGIMG_4569 (resized).JPGIMG_4569 (resized).JPGIMG_4570 (resized).JPGIMG_4570 (resized).JPG
#1042 5 years ago

I'm actually beginning to think that being this happens immediately upon powering on that possibly my Q23 is shorted open. Is there a relay for this motor as well that needs to be checked? I don't see one in the manual but maybe I over looked it?

#1043 5 years ago

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my first and only Data East machine. I own this and one other pin (HS2). TMNT was given to my wife and I from her aunt about 7-8 years ago and it basically went into storage. Honestly, I didn't have the pinball bug then and didn't spend any time on it. I wouldn't have known what to do anyway. When it had to come out of storage, I asked my friend @wrd1972 if he could hold on to it for a while and if interested, see if it needed any work. Not only did he agree to help me out, he went WAY over and above and did a very thorough restoration. Everything tested, removed, cleaned, replaced any broken parts, and improved it in many ways. Colored LEDs w/ OCD, new LED DMD, and lots of personal touches. I've done a few more tweaks myself and am keeping it clean. Although I know TMNT generally isn't the most sought after machine, it's a blast to play and gets a lot of attention from friends and guests. My 13 yo son's buddy's love playing this game. Being my first one and given from family, I'll likely hang on to this forever.

IMG_9284.jpgIMG_9284.jpgIMG_9286.jpgIMG_9286.jpgIMG_9290.jpgIMG_9290.jpgIMG_9300.jpgIMG_9300.jpg
#1044 5 years ago

I'd love to have a TMNT... awesome of your friend to bring it back to life.

#1045 5 years ago

Yeah, I've had pretty much every game and I like the turtles, no matter what anyone says! Yes they are collectable due to theme, but not among the diehard pinball people. I gave one to my brother last christmas because his boys are huge fans. My sister in law is very religious so she installed a modesty patch over you know where, lol. I told my brother to leave it on quarter pay and make the kids earn it, not to put on free play. They really like it. I have one as well.

#1046 5 years ago

General data east question....

I can't seem to be able to get into the adjustments menu.

I can get in diagnostics and cycle through no problem...but when I press in the other button I still get the diagnostics menu.

Everything on the outside seemed OK so I took off the bracket that holds the two buttons for the adjustments and diagnostics. There doesn't appear to be any issue and the solder points are very strong.

Anyone else have a hard time getting into the adjustments menu?

Thanks

#1047 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

General data east question....

I can't seem to be able to get into the adjustments menu.

I can get in diagnostics and cycle through no problem...but when I press in the other button I still get the diagnostics menu.

Everything on the outside seemed OK so I took off the bracket that holds the two buttons for the adjustments and diagnostics. There doesn't appear to be any issue and the solder points are very strong.

Anyone else have a hard time getting into the adjustments menu?

Thanks

Try locking or unlocking the backglass lock - from memory there is a switch there that interacts with the adjustments

#1048 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Once in attract mode, press the green button. It should be out for the adjustment menu, and in for the diagnostic menu. Then press the other, normally red, button. This is covered in the manual.

#1049 5 years ago
Quoted from jaybeedee:

Try locking or unlocking the backglass lock - from memory there is a switch there that interacts with the adjustments

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Once in attract mode, press the green button. It should be out for the adjustment menu, and in for the diagnostic menu. Then press the other, normally red, button. This is covered in the manual.

None of those things worked. But pressing and holding down the white coin door switch and then pressing the green + black buttons got it into adjustments. It's finicky but it worked. Thanks guys

#1050 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

None of those things worked. But pressing and holding down the white coin door switch and then pressing the green + black buttons got it into adjustments. It's finicky but it worked. Thanks guys

Sounds like you need new switches. The white coin door one is the interlock switch that should signal when the door is open when the switch is open. There is not a wire came loose on the back of the white one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 29.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 45.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.