• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 61.
#951 5 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Tftc now in the collection my 4th DE to date. Needs some new rubbers and tweaks. Sweet game though.

Welcome to the club! It's a blast to play

#952 5 years ago

I know the DE games are tall, but I just got my R&B set back up, and sitting next to my GOTG, and Joker Poker, man is it bad. Can someone check the leg length, maybe mine has the wrong length.

#953 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I know the DE games are tall, but I just got my R&B set back up, and sitting next to my GOTG, and Joker Poker, man is it bad. Can someone check the leg length, maybe mine has the wrong length.

28.5, you probably have the 30.5 which is wrong

#954 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

28.5, you probably have the 30.5 which is wrong

Thanks, i'll measure tonight.

#955 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Thanks, i'll measure tonight.

Yep. 30.5". Looked at the manual, and it looks like the 28.5 have been discontinued and replaced with the 30.5 according to the websites I looked at. The Williams/Bally 28.5 should work. Probably what I will order.

#956 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Yep. 30.5". Looked at the manual, and it looks like the 28.5 have been discontinued and replaced with the 30.5 according to the websites I looked at. The Williams/Bally 28.5 should work. Probably what I will order.

Would you go with black or silver legs?

#957 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Would you go with black or silver legs?

Probably the black that was original.

1 week later
#958 5 years ago

I’ve just joined the club again! I’m really excited to have a Data East in my collection.

Would anyone have playfield scans so I could have decals made up to cover the wear spots?

D90D63AD-82FE-4FC8-8953-C1C97D166C60 (resized).jpegD90D63AD-82FE-4FC8-8953-C1C97D166C60 (resized).jpeg
#959 5 years ago
Quoted from 1979wade:

I’ve just joined the club again! I’m really excited to have a Data East in my collection.
Would anyone have playfield scans so I could have decals made up to cover the wear spots?

Get the correct flippers as well

#960 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Get the correct flippers as well

Yes! I was laughing when I saw it with one lightning flipper and another Williams flipper. This Simpsons will get a full shop including new flipper bats.

#961 5 years ago

I've just purchased a tales of the crypt machine. Is there a volume adjustment on it, and if so where? please rsvp....thanks.
Al

#962 5 years ago

Forgot to mention, my email is bakers [email protected] for the volume adjustment question on Tales from the Crypt....

#963 5 years ago
Quoted from ab1944:

I've just purchased a tales of the crypt machine. Is there a volume adjustment on it, and if so where? please rsvp....thanks.
Al

This won't be a scientific answer, but yes there is. Open the coin door, on the lower right side mounted to the cabinet bottom there is a box with a metal rod sticking out of the top. This is the volume pot, rotate it clockwise to turn up, the other way to turn down.

#964 5 years ago
Quoted from ab1944:

Al

There should be a tall metal rod sticking up just to the right inside the coin door. That is your volume control. 20180623_122025 (resized).jpg20180623_122025 (resized).jpg

#965 5 years ago

TFTC is a good pin my newest to join LW3 & Royal Rumble. Right ramp has been the hardest for me. Love the electric chair 6 ball multi ball

#966 5 years ago

I posted this on my WTB thread when I finally found it....but figured I'd share it here as well.

I was finally able to score a NOS TFTC playfield. Never letting this go...

IMG_20180618_1353164.jpgIMG_20180618_1353164.jpgIMG_20180618_1353246.jpgIMG_20180618_1353246.jpgIMG_20180618_1353323.jpgIMG_20180618_1353323.jpgIMG_20180618_1353466.jpgIMG_20180618_1353466.jpgIMG_20180618_1354120.jpgIMG_20180618_1354120.jpgIMG_20180618_1354170.jpgIMG_20180618_1354170.jpgIMG_20180618_1354287.jpgIMG_20180618_1354287.jpgIMG_20180618_1354457.jpgIMG_20180618_1354457.jpgIMG_20180618_1354555.jpgIMG_20180618_1354555.jpgIMG_20180618_1355163.jpgIMG_20180618_1355163.jpgIMG_20180618_1356015.jpgIMG_20180618_1356015.jpg
#967 5 years ago

Just picked up a rr but it has a reset issue. My tech is coming over soon to look at it. Any Advice? Sometimes the display will cut out too. What parts should he bring or should we order?
What rom is best?

Best nvram?

1 week later
#968 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a good picture of the CPU clock area on the Data East CPU board? I am trying to get a Rocky and Bullwinkle going this morning and trying to confirm the specs on the crystal oscillator.

Thank you!

#969 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone happen to have a good picture of the CPU clock area on the Data East CPU board? I am trying to get a Rocky and Bullwinkle going this morning and trying to confirm the specs on the crystal oscillator.
Thank you!

I have yet to see one failed. Is there battery corrosion in this area on the board you are working on?

#970 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have yet to see one failed. Is there battery corrosion in this area on the board you are working on?

Battery corrosion on the crystal. It took all the writing off the top. Luckily the rest of the board looks awesome and I only have a couple traces to fix. I have a drawer full of replacement oscillators of the proper size but just need to confirm the speed.

I agree that it is rare to see one of these go bad but that battery damage is a wildcard. I'll post a picture later once I get to pull it off my phone. I was able to rebuild the power supply this morning and if I can confirm the crystal and have the right one on hand I may be able to try out the game tonight. It's my first Data East and I'm looking forward to playing it. At least if I get it going I can figure out what other parts I'll need to go through the rest of the machine.

I've fixed other Data East boards before for a friend and now finally have my own set to work on.

#971 5 years ago

8Mhz on the CPU board. 20180707_114059 (resized).jpg20180707_114059 (resized).jpg

#972 5 years ago

8Mhz on the CPU board.

Thank you! That helps confirm the orientation too. If all goes well I may be able to try it out later today.

#973 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Thank you! That helps confirm the orientation too. If all goes well I may be able to try it out later today.

I hope it works for you upon powering it up. I have my R&B on loan and hoping to get it back soon so that I can install a LED ColorDMD in it and show it off at the Houston Arcade Expo in October. I miss playing that game. Wow Wee!!!

#974 5 years ago

Not working yet. I have a solid 5v now but the CPU isn't booting. Going to take a closer look at the CPU socket and see if I can get it to boot on the bench.

#975 5 years ago

I was able to fix it! The one trace for the reset that comes off the test loop to the CPU socket was open. Got it up and running first on the bench and have it running in the machine. Fun game. Just need to order a few parts, clean it up, add cliffys, and fresh rubber.

#976 5 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Nice work. Your JP looks so good!

Thanks!

#977 5 years ago

I hope it works for you upon powering it up. I have my R&B on loan and hoping to get it back soon so that I can install a LED ColorDMD in it and show it off at the Houston Arcade Expo in October. I miss playing that game. Wow Wee!!!

I put one in mine, and it is AWESOME... You won't be disappointed...

#978 5 years ago

I didn't see a club for Data East The Simpsons so I guess this is the place!

A couple questions about the multiball.
Is there any point to playing 2 ball multiball other than trying to lock them both for 3 ball? I know each time you get a new ball it relights the mystery ramp and that's useful but there are no playfield bonuses for playing 2 ball correct?

In 3 ball is there anything to do after you get the jackpot? I hit my biggest jackpot today at 3.5 million and I'm pretty sure I hit the bowling pins again and nothing happened so it doesn't look like you can get multiple jackpots. Probably just try to cradle a ball in the left flipper and go to town on the ramp to get millions after you hit the jackpot?

#979 5 years ago

hook machine,,, getting slam tilt whenever skill shot upper switch 1 gets activated , no obvious loose wire that I can see, looked at switch matrix chart both are on row 7, my simple and probably incorrect conclusion is that somewhere there is a short to the slam tilt switch? any ideas on how to proceed? thanks

#980 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

hook machine,,, getting slam tilt whenever skill shot upper switch 1 gets activated , no obvious loose wire that I can see, looked at switch matrix chart both are on row 7, my simple and probably incorrect conclusion is that somewhere there is a short to the slam tilt switch? any ideas on how to proceed? thanks

Remove the balls out of the trough, reset all the targets, go into the active switch test (not the regular switch edge test) and see if any switch shows closed.

#981 5 years ago

thanks for the reply, maniac 40, will try tonight, if you can share your thought process on trouble shooting this , it would be great , I infer all switches should read open without the balls, if one reads closed what does that mean? ( would you expect it be in that row ?)

#982 5 years ago

This test was made to aid in troubleshooting a closed switch which can random cause game play errors. Just because you can see a random tilt during game play, that does not mean that is the switch causing the problem. The right combination of 2 switches in a row or column causes these type of issues.

With the 6 balls out of the trough and targets in the up position, only one switch, going on memory here, that should be registering on this active switch test would be the dinosaur left switch. If any other switches are registering, you need to figure out why, likely switch needs to be adjusted. All switches are normally open in the game, but since the dinosaur left switch is closed because that is its home position, it will be registering. Report what it shows on the screen and we can go from there.

#983 5 years ago

thanks always good to know the why behind the how!, maybe you missed but hook machine ( 3 balls ) not jp

#984 5 years ago

yes. Missed that. I think that hook should not have any switches in the closed position with the balls out of the game

#985 5 years ago

Ok no switches closed when balls are out of trough,did a manual check of all the switches they all register when closed but the slam tilt does not,will check it again with door closure switch on, otherwise thanks for further Inut

#986 5 years ago

The first test was in the active swich test and not the regular switch edge test?

#987 5 years ago

thanks for your help, new at this and not sure of all the terminology , I think I did both tests, on active switch with no balls in trough no switches are closed , when I put the balls in the trough the three trough switches( left ,middle and right) all read closed,

when I go around the machine and manually activate the switches ( is this called the switch edge test? ) they all read out on the dmd except the slam tilt switch does not ( regardless of door closure switch status),

new to this and factors at play I do not grasp yet and the tilt switch status may be a red herring , but if there was a short in the slam tilt switch wouldn't it read as closed?

#988 5 years ago

On the DMD it actually will say 'Active Switch Test'. During this test if you put balls in the trough, it will continuously keep registering the balls as the switches are stuck closed because the balls are holding the switch down.

Yes, your description of the switch edge test is good. Just that this switch test will not show one that is stuck closed, only the switches you press momentarily, like an outlane switch.

I would like to see a picture of the slam tilt switch.

#989 5 years ago

will try to send one this afternoon , not much to see on it looks relatively new with what appear to be good connections , did not check it for continuity but took the column wire off that feeds it ( from coin door ) and still got slam tilt

#990 5 years ago

Once back in the active switch test and balls removed, try tapping on the playfield to see if you can anything to show.

Also when you are testing the slingshots, test each of the two switches separately, not by pushing on the slingshot rubber.

#991 5 years ago

double checked the slam tilt switch it does register, it seems it would take a big blow to get it to activate during play! during game mode activated all the other switches on row 7 and pretty much all the switches the only one that triggers the slam tilt is #31

no luck with the play field tap test , the individual sling switches are ok

reading up on switch matrix trouble shooting bunch of questions. I have some fuzziness...

to check diodes on switches need to unsolder or clip one end and then resolder if good?

on the matrix 31 switch is a c7 r7 ( slam tilt(7) is c1 r7) the diodes to check would be all the ones in row 7 ? or check the diodes of the corners of the box c4r4 c7r4 c7r7 c4 r7?

Can I say it is a playfield issue or can it be a board issue? Do I need to check at the board in the back box by jumping across the matrix ? at connector 8 and connector 10 ? a diode is needed on the one end of the jumper?

any tips on getting the connectors off the board, looks like they have a little locking flap on the top that needs to get pried up, use small screw driver or other?
feel free to answer any or all for the newb!

#992 5 years ago

ColorDMD for LAH has been announced. I enjoyed beta testing this one. https://mailchi.mp/e0e486780f78/colordmd-announces-game-78-lights-camera-action

#993 5 years ago

Been asking all over, but figured I'd try here too. I need a pair of the 4 inch backbox hinges from an Early Data East machine (specifically a Laser War). These are the hinges that let you fold the headbox down. Anyone?

#994 5 years ago

Just picked me up a Tales from the Crypt that make 5 Data East pinball machines for me

Guns n Roses
Tales From the Crypt
Jurassic Park
WWF Royal Rumble
Lethal Weapon

#995 5 years ago

Finally stirring away from Bally/Williams pricing, and finding out why DE is so great! Picked up a beautiful LW3 (really looks great in person) for not a ridiculous price. Cool LED GI looks excellent (I added the LED trough light and wow does it make a difference). Only real problem is sometimes the diagnostic switch works and sometimes it doesn’t. I am hoping it is a loose wire so,where but I have no idea where to look. Also, the far left line on the dmd is out. The seller told me the DMD was really new (he was a cool guy) and it definitely looks like it is. Sometimes the line on the far right will also go out, so I am really hoping that is a loose wire too, as it would make no sense that a new dmd would already have a line out.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
#996 5 years ago

posted my trouble shooting issues in tech so it has a separate thread , look like board issue, thanks for all the input and feel free to provide your thoughts !

#997 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

posted my trouble shooting issues in tech so it has a separate thread , look like board issue, thanks for all the input and feel free to provide your thoughts !

Can you post a link to your thread? It would be easier to search for others in the future with similar issues.

#998 5 years ago

hope this works, thanks for your help pinballmaniac would love to hear your thoughts

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-slam-tilt-phantom-need-board-repair-

#999 5 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I didn't see a club for Data East The Simpsons so I guess this is the place!
A couple questions about the multiball.
Is there any point to playing 2 ball multiball other than trying to lock them both for 3 ball? I know each time you get a new ball it relights the mystery ramp and that's useful but there are no playfield bonuses for playing 2 ball correct?
In 3 ball is there anything to do after you get the jackpot? I hit my biggest jackpot today at 3.5 million and I'm pretty sure I hit the bowling pins again and nothing happened so it doesn't look like you can get multiple jackpots. Probably just try to cradle a ball in the left flipper and go to town on the ramp to get millions after you hit the jackpot?

Ok took the glass off today and answered my questions. Nope, no bonus multipliers for playing 2 ball. Really only point of it is to get another shot at the mystery value or lock them and go for 3 ball. After getting the Jackpot in 3 ball there is nothing left to do expect play normally. Little bit disappointed in this as I played today later and got the jackpot and had already hit the 5 bank enemies drop targets 3 times so the only thing left to do was hit the millions ramp again. Got just a hair under 12 million. I did find out that when you get the millions more than once in a game the time you have to get millions goes down each time you relight.

#1000 5 years ago

Phantom Of The Opera and Last Action Hero are the 2 DE games I own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 29.50
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 45.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,048 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/20?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.