• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 279 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    5%

(Multiple choice - 977 votes by 935 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2270 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,046 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 61.
#801 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Thanks for posting I was going to do voltage test before buying a new DMD. I'm going to install NVRAM.

Good. NVRAM is an easy install for DE games since the old RAM is already in a socket. http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

Start with section 4.7.6 to be sure you don't have a burnt wafer connector at CN1. If F7 (1/2amp) fuse is blown on the power supply, no doubt the high voltage section will need to be rebuilt. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Small_128_x_16_DMD_Display

Also check the 2 (5amp) fuses that are mounted on the metal sheet in the backbox just below the power supply.

#802 6 years ago

Also, there are the resistors that go bad. 1/2 watt I believe, not sure.

#803 6 years ago

I'm in the club.

20170820_130748 (resized).jpg20170820_130748 (resized).jpg

#804 6 years ago

Back to the future! Very nice!

3 weeks later
#805 6 years ago

Hey fellow club members... quick question and seeking advice on something.

I'm wanting to replace my PPB board for my TFTC, and there are the obvious choices from a variety of sellers like Rottendog for $125, Xpin for $159, and then you have the random eBay seller who has refurbished ones for $65 give or take. Normally, I don't mind treating my game to nice things and get the Xpin, but I'd like to see if anyone knows of any other outlets, like reputable pinheads who service and sell refurbished boards?

If nothing comes up, I'm fine going with Xpin, as they have free shipping all this month and their products seem to have a good following.

Any advice or thoughts is much appreciated!

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

... quick question and seeking advice on something.

I've had a Rottendog in my DE SW for years without any issues.

#807 6 years ago

Just joined the data east family recently...

IMG_20170904_1558399.jpgIMG_20170904_1558399.jpg

#808 6 years ago

Just cleaned up a WWF and it is a really fun game!

#809 6 years ago

Star wars owner here....love the Data East titles.

#810 6 years ago

I've got original, xpin, and rotten dog in my 4 DE machines. If you can get a refurbished original, I'd go that route. I've had random compatibility issues with the other 2 depending on the other boards in the machine. If everything else is original then all 3 options will work.

#811 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Star wars owner here....love the Data East titles.

Aflacjack have you tried the newr SW code in your machine? It is great. It makes the ramp shots less important, and adds the ball-save (pluse other stuff).

#812 6 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

I've had a Rottendog in my DE SW for years without any issues.

Awesome. Good to know. If I go new maybe it is worth the $30 savings to go Rottendog over Xpin.

Quoted from shicketmaster:

I've got original, xpin, and rotten dog in my 4 DE machines. If you can get a refurbished original, I'd go that route. I've had random compatibility issues with the other 2 depending on the other boards in the machine. If everything else is original then all 3 options will work.

Great info and exactly what I was worried about. Capability issues. The rest of the boards are originals.

I would prefer to go with a refurbished original, but hesitant to grab a random one off eBay, and I'm not familiar with any sources right now.

Thanks guys!

#813 6 years ago

I got my first Data East pin recently. A pretty nice Phantom of the Opera.

DSCF1027 (resized).JPGDSCF1027 (resized).JPG

DSCF1046 (resized).JPGDSCF1046 (resized).JPG

DSCF1045 (resized).JPGDSCF1045 (resized).JPG

DSCF1047 (resized).JPGDSCF1047 (resized).JPG

DSCF1049 (resized).JPGDSCF1049 (resized).JPG

DSCF1051 (resized).JPGDSCF1051 (resized).JPG

DSCF1057 (resized).JPGDSCF1057 (resized).JPG

#814 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I got my first Data East pin recently. A pretty nice Phantom of the Opera.

Sure you will make them as good as new , picture blurry what is the pin on the left ? Sorry T3

#815 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Hey fellow club members... quick question and seeking advice on something.
I'm wanting to replace my PPB board for my TFTC, and there are the obvious choices from a variety of sellers like Rottendog for $125, Xpin for $159, and then you have the random eBay seller who has refurbished ones for $65 give or take. Normally, I don't mind treating my game to nice things and get the Xpin, but I'd like to see if anyone knows of any other outlets, like reputable pinheads who service and sell refurbished boards?
If nothing comes up, I'm fine going with Xpin, as they have free shipping all this month and their products seem to have a good following.
Any advice or thoughts is much appreciated!

Beware of original board Ebay ads. There is a difference between someone selling a pulled working board versus a refurbished one. Pulled working board doesn't mean any parts were changed and still can fail in short term, especially if the smaller electrolytic capacitors were not changed.

Far as aftermarket boards, I would go with a XPin power supply as there have been better long term reliability and many less issues out of the box.

#816 6 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

aflacjack have you tried the newr SW code in your machine? It is great. It makes the ramp shots less important, and adds the ball-save (pluse other stuff).

#817 6 years ago

No I havent. How do I get the code?

#818 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I can burn roms...sending PM

#819 6 years ago

Number 11 joins the club!

DSCF0773 (resized).JPGDSCF0773 (resized).JPG

#820 6 years ago
Quoted from Meloyelo51:

I can burn roms...sending PM

Thanks for the help!

#821 6 years ago

Since my Jurassic Park group was growing so well, I decided to go make a Data East Pinball owners group just now. So if you're on Facebook, come check them out!

Data East Pinball Owners Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DataEastPinballOwners/
Jurassic Park Pinball Owners Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/JurassicParkPinballOwners

Who's going to be the first Data East member request?

#822 6 years ago

My wife just requested to join the JP book face group

#823 6 years ago

I want to give a shout to Meloyelo51 for burning the Chad H 6.0 roms for our new Jurassic Park pinball we purchased three weeks ago. Thank you

#824 6 years ago

Anyone know the translight glass size for WWF?

Comparing the opening size and glass of other games I think it would be 26" x 22.5" but double checking before i get a piece.

3 weeks later
#825 6 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Several places have this, ChadH is really the one you should chat with, he is the one updating the ROM code at this point. I have 1.04 in one of my DE SW, and it's terrific. I have 1.06 in the other one. you can get 1.03 thru 1.05 here https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Star+Wars+Data+East+ROM as well as the EPROM chips.

for more information on the ROM versions and staying current, check out Chad's site: http://www.pinballcode.com/

#826 6 years ago

Hey Creeps, if all goes well I'm about to join the club in a couple of weeks... Fingers crossed!

IMG-20171007-WA0015 (resized).jpgIMG-20171007-WA0015 (resized).jpg

#827 6 years ago

LAH is a very underrated game. It was a bargain when I got mine at $1200. I have not had to put much into it. I will never sell it!
Great game.

#828 6 years ago

I picked up a Laser War the other day and I might have a pending deal worked out on another gem at expo.

#829 6 years ago

BTW, looking for an upper left spinner for LW if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

#830 6 years ago
Quoted from Sub7vn:

Several places have this, chadh is really the one you should chat with, he is the one updating the ROM code at this point. I have 1.04 in one of my DE SW, and it's terrific. I have 1.06 in the other one. you can get 1.03 thru 1.05 here https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Star+Wars+Data+East+ROM as well as the EPROM chips.
for more information on the ROM versions and staying current, check out Chad's site: http://www.pinballcode.com/

PM me when you're ready for 1.07
I just may know a guy

#831 6 years ago

Hey fellow DE owners/experts... I'm having a switch matrix wrinkle in my TFTC I just can't iron out. I started a thread the other day to call in reinforcements to help me see this one through.

Here is the thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tftc-switch-matrix-issue-any-help-is-greatly-appreciated

Here's what's happening mid-game or in a switch test...
1.) When the left spinner is activated and I hit both flippers while it's spinning, the captive ball switch activates

2.) When the right spinner is activated and I hit both flippers while it's spinning, the right ramp exit switch activates

3.) When the ball is in the power scoop and I hit both flippers, the middle spinner is activated

Switch matrix chart attached below, and you'll notice that the two bottom right corner lines contains all of these switches in question.

If anyone has experienced this, or any ideas, I am very thankful for any and all suggestions.

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.00 PM (resized).png

#832 6 years ago

Regarding the TFTC switch issues,

On one (or more) of the switches you listed one (or more) of the following is faulty:
-one or more switch is bad
-one or more switch is wired backwards
-one or more of the switch's wires is touching where it should not be touching (fell off, ect.)
-one or more of the switch's diodes is bad

There could possibly be a solder splash on the backside of the MPU's switch connection components but that would usually affect an entire row or column and you are not see such symptoms. Likewise, a failing pre driver transistor would show a problem with an entire column so that's not likely either. So I would start by focusing on the play field, looking for the cause.

#833 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Regarding the TFTC switch issues,
So I would start by focusing on the play field, looking for the cause.

Thanks Snyper! I'm going to look at each switch involved very closely again. I really appreciate the advice here.

1 week later
#834 6 years ago

I'm in.. just picked up a star trek .sorting out some issues .

#835 6 years ago

I recently bought a 91 star trek data east.
For 1 the dmd durring normal scoring only will freeze up and make no sense and do jumbled up scoring ect .but will go into video mode no problem during game play ..
In attract mode it's perfect..
I purchased two new ribbon cables to be safe from different companies.. same thing ..soon as I shut the game down or reseated the plugs it's good for a while ?
Another is switch 27 and 28 were not registering in switch test .?? I replaced one switch of the two and now it has a error come up telling me there bad ? I tried putting the original switch back in and it still comes up as a error but stil won't register in manual switch test ? I'm gonna try to replace the other switch that was not registering wich was switch upper left hole top switch number 28.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

20171021_001904 (resized).jpg20171021_001904 (resized).jpg

20171018_233510 (resized).jpg20171018_233510 (resized).jpg

#836 6 years ago

Ok I replaced both switch 27 and 28.. same thing ??I notice switch 29 has no diode ?

#837 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Ok I replaced both switch 27 and 28.. same thing ??I notice switch 29 has no diode ?

You need to replace the 33k, 1/2 watt resistor on the DMD, I believe it’s R95 (but there are write-ups about it on here). I had the same problem with my Hook; I changed the Resistor and the problem went away.

#838 6 years ago

Mod I made for star trek. Spok with six shooter and a spotlight on spok for extra ball...

20171027_143744 (resized).jpg20171027_143744 (resized).jpg

#839 6 years ago

Where are all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at? Of course I don't have the cash right now for one. But I've been watching for one off and on. I want a project to redo. With so many made there doesn't ever seem to be any floating around. Maybe one every once in a while. Where are they all at?

It's like most other tittles there is one for sale all the time! No shortage. But turtles just doesn't seem to come up often.

#840 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I want to give a shout to Meloyelo51 for burning the Chad H 6.0 roms for our new Jurassic Park pinball we purchased three weeks ago. Thank you

Make sure you donate to ChadH's website--he did all the work.

#841 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Make sure you donate to ChadH's website--he did all the work.

I did donate to Chad H website

Thanks

#842 6 years ago

Playing Secret Service tonight. Started to give points without ball hitting anything. Anytime I hit a flipper was scoring.

New problem for me. Anyone experience this?
Thanks in advance.

#843 6 years ago

Probably just a switch in the vicinity of the flipper mechanism set too close and the vibration of the flipper is triggering it. I'd guess one of the sling shots.

#844 6 years ago

Thanks Freeplay40. Looks like it was a slingshot on top playfield. Appreciate the quick feedback. Pinside is great.

#845 6 years ago

Troubleshooting Help
Have a secret service that is acting up. During game play it is just ending game and the Bad Switch None comes up. Game restarts fine.
Is not happening on a regular basis usually only during a long high scoring ball.
Anyone experience this?

#secret-service

#846 6 years ago
Quoted from stlmo:

Troubleshooting Help
Have a secret service that is acting up. During game play it is just ending game and the Bad Switch None comes up. Game restarts fine.
Is not happening on a regular basis usually only during a long high scoring ball.
Anyone experience this?
Secret Service

check 5v and C2 cap

#847 6 years ago

I've been sorting out issues on my 91 star trek
.originally i was having display issues .
Certain times only on scoring the display would get jumbled and freeze up..
I decided to install updated game and display roms .
The problem went away and actualy worked perfect ..
Now at certain times never consistently when a ball drains a new ball will shoot into the shooter lane and automatically fire into the pf with no notification on the dmd ect .
I'm going to tear into this issue tonight .I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue or were to start lookin.
I'm going to try the original 91 game rom for starters.
Thank you ..

#848 6 years ago

I am interested in picking up a DE Star Trek. Anyone near Chicago have one for sale? Or does someone in the Chicago area have one I can borrow for 6 months?

#849 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

I've been sorting out issues on my 91 star trek
.originally i was having display issues .
Certain times only on scoring the display would get jumbled and freeze up..
I decided to install updated game and display roms .
The problem went away and actualy worked perfect ..
Now at certain times never consistently when a ball drains a new ball will shoot into the shooter lane and automatically fire into the pf with no notification on the dmd ect .
I'm going to tear into this issue tonight .I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue or were to start lookin.
I'm going to try the original 91 game rom for starters.
Thank you ..

Quoted from freddy:

check 5v and C2 cap

#850 6 years ago

Quoted from ChadH:I am interested in picking up a DE Star Trek. Anyone near Chicago have one for sale? Or does someone in the Chicago area have one I can borrow for 6 months?

This is how rumors get started lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (OBO)
$ 18.95
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,046 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 61.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/17?hl=milltown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.