• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 62.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from PeoriaKid:

I just installed a new Pinsound board in my DE Star Trek. Followed the instructions to the letter, but when I turn in back on, the start button doesn't work. It's set up on free play.
All the lights and DMD are working fine. Any ideas?

I would also make sure its still in free play, and something didn't reset it back to coin play.

#502 7 years ago

I own one - a Robocop I just got.

I like some DE games. My major complaint - especially with the older ones - is the genrally shitty quality of some of the mechanics and especially the cabinet. Pale in comparison with the system 11 stuff.

It took decades but eventually they caught up. These old DE games are essentially the origins of modern stern games.

#503 7 years ago

My good friend and neighbor has a The Simpsons. I haven't seen the pin in years but after I got a The Getaway HS2. I tried talking him into fixing his so I'd have another pin to play. He says it have ball switch error and won't kick a ball out to the plunger. Seems like a simple enough problem. Anyone here had this problem and could suggest how to fix it. I'll continue to try and get him to join Pinside but I'm not sure he has that much interest.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

My good friend and neighbor has a The Simpsons. I haven't seen the pin in years but after I got a The Getaway HS2. I tried talking him into fixing his so I'd have another pin to play. He says it have ball switch error and won't kick a ball out to the plunger. Seems like a simple enough problem. Anyone here had this problem and could suggest how to fix it. I'll continue to try and get him to join Pinside but I'm not sure he has that much interest.

Awesome. Good that you want to help your neighbor.

Do you know if it will start a game?
If a game cannot start, then remove the apron and make sure 3 balls are in the trough area. If not, it will not allow a game to start. Sometimes the ball gets trapped in the playfield area if the game is too flat.

If it will start a game, then check all the fuses on the power supply and on the PPB board. Also check the two fuses mounted directly to the backbox just above the big capacitor sitting at the bottom on the backbox.

#505 7 years ago

Still looking for a dual/stereo potentiometer for my Simpsons, if anyone's parting out a DE or has a spare.

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like some DE games. My major complaint - especially with the older ones - is the genrally shitty quality of some of the mechanics and especially the cabinet. Pale in comparison with the system 11 stuff.

It took decades but eventually they caught up. These old DE games are essentially the origins of modern stern games.

One must remember, that Data East was born out of the leftovers
of the then out of business Stern "classic" period. The parts were
a mishmash from Wico and whatever parts Stern had that survived
the fallout back in the day. The games they produced, were designed
to last the bear minimum that U.S. law would allow. Like all
pinball manufacturers, they never expected their games to be around
twenty plus years after the fact; the games were explicitly designed for
a moment in time.

#507 7 years ago

Have a Jurassic Park and a Tales from the Crypt personal preference however the game play is great and the DMD animations (TFTC) still amaze! As quoted above ... Leftovers... Still no ghosting in my units!

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from PeoriaKid:

I just installed a new Pinsound board in my DE Star Trek. Followed the instructions to the letter, but when I turn in back on, the start button doesn't work. It's set up on free play.
All the lights and DMD are working fine. Any ideas?

Can't help maybe post in the data east star trek club?

That being said, I would buy a pinsound tomorrow if there was a new soundtrack with all the characters.

#509 7 years ago

Still hanging in there with Tales from the Crypt and Laser War. Probably never selling either of them. Considering a Checkpoint... There's a few others I wouldn't mind having around for awhile either like Secret Service, Time Machine, Torpedo Alley, Last Action Hero, Baywatch and Guns N' Roses. They really cranked out a lot of cool titles.

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

They really cranked out a lot of cool titles.

You owe that to Joe Kaminkow.

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Awesome. Good that you want to help your neighbor.
Do you know if it will start a game?
If a game cannot start, then remove the apron and make sure 3 balls are in the trough area. If not, it will not allow a game to start. Sometimes the ball gets trapped in the playfield area if the game is too flat.
If it will start a game, then check all the fuses on the power supply and on the PPB board. Also check the two fuses mounted directly to the backbox just above the big capacitor sitting at the bottom on the backbox.

PinballManiac40 thanks for the tips. He says it's a switch problem and that he needs to call local pinball tech to come fix it. I keep trying to convince that we can fix it and save $75 an hour. I've done repair on my game and with the help of Pinside I know we could fix it. Will keep trying. Would like to get it up and running so I could have another game to play within stumbling distance from home.

2 weeks later
#512 7 years ago

I saw the pin tonight. When you press Start it says 2 balls are missing, does a system ball check, and then it won't kick a ball to the plunger. I see a ball ready to go to the plunger. So without me taking off the glass and checking for the other two balls, what do y'all think Is the issue? I did do a nudge in case the two missing balls were somehow stuck, but nothing happened.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#513 7 years ago

I had a similar problem and it was a broken wire on one of the switches in the ball trough. Those switch wires can break or get disconnected when lifting or setting down the playfield. That or a broken solder joint on a diode (or bad diode) on those same switches.

#514 7 years ago

Thanks. Seems like a simple fix. I'm trying to get him to fix it. I offered to help again last night. I think they want to sell, though. Or fix it then sell. They are just not into it anymore, it seems. Shame. I want a second pin, but I don't think I want this one.

#515 7 years ago

I know the TMNT ramp is hard to find but has anyone had any luck finding ramp protectors for it?

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

I saw the pin tonight. When you press Start it says 2 balls are missing, does a system ball check, and then it won't kick a ball to the plunger. I see a ball ready to go to the plunger. So without me taking off the glass and checking for the other two balls, what do y'all think Is the issue? I did do a nudge in case the two missing balls were somehow stuck, but nothing happened.

Quoted from Charger500:

Thanks. Seems like a simple fix. I'm trying to get him to fix it. I offered to help again last night. I think they want to sell, though. Or fix it then sell. They are just not into it anymore, it seems. Shame. I want a second pin, but I don't think I want this one.

I would not rule out one ball is being trapped somewhere because of a broken rubber or plastic.

You need to run the switch tests and coils tests in order to narrow down the problem(s), otherwise we are just guessing where the problem(s) lie. If all the coils fire, likely can be a switch problem may only need to be adjusted. Then again, you can have multiple switches not working because of a single broken wire. Without knowing what all switches are not working, you can go nuts just looking the wiring over. Even a chance a coil is not firing just because of a broken wire.

I think if you can get him to let you look into it with him there, it may drive him to want to keep it longer knowing someone next door can likely help out. If you can get it working, challenge him on a few games. I really do like playing against someone more than I like playing a game by myself.

#517 7 years ago

I would not rule out one ball is being trapped somewhere because of a broken rubber or plastic.
You need to run the switch tests and coils tests in order to narrow down the problem(s), otherwise we are just guessing where the problem(s) lie. If all the coils fire, likely can be a switch problem may only need to be adjusted. Then again, you can have multiple switches not working because of a single broken wire. Without knowing what all switches are not working, you can go nuts just looking the wiring over. Even a chance a coil is not firing just because of a broken wire.
I think if you can get him to let you look into it with him there, it may drive him to want to keep it longer knowing someone next door can likely help out. If you can get it working, challenge him on a few games. I really do like playing against someone more than I like playing a game by myself.

Thanks. I only have limited knowledge of Williams games. I know how to perform a switch on my Getaway HS2 , but how do I perform a switch test on a Data East Simpsons? Maybe it's less intuitive since it doesn't have a DMD to show the tests. Excuse my ignorance here.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Charger500:

Thanks. I only have limited knowledge of Williams games. I know how to perform a switch on my Getaway HS2 , but how do I perform a switch test on a Data East Simpsons? Maybe it's less intuitive since it doesn't have a DMD to show the tests. Excuse my ignorance here.

It is easy to figure out. Very similar to System 11 games. Game manual should take you through the test menu if all else fails.

#519 7 years ago

The alphanumeric displays will display the tests, just as the DMD shows the tests as HSGetaway does. Just a different looking display. Don't let that intimidate you. You can do this. Since you fixed problems on a Williams, use that knowledge to fix the DE game. Similar issues even though technology is a bit older.

#520 7 years ago

Cool. Thanks Maniac. I'm so itching to get his going. He is just lukewarm about it. I'll keep trying.

#521 7 years ago

Charger500, has he played your Getaway? Time to challenge him to a few games after explaining some of the rules to him. This should get him hooked.

#522 7 years ago

He has. One time. He's got skills. Even beat one of my high scores for awhile. I'm getting my pinball fix still. Joined a local league.

1 week later
#523 7 years ago

Torpedo Alley. Now that is one I hadn't played yet.

Torpedo Alley started my love for "unlicensed" DE titles. The game play, call outs and soundtracks are great. Need a Secret Service!

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Got a really nice Torpedo Alley fully populated playfield field, getting ready to switchaikovsky it with my "just ok" playfield. Let the winter projects begin!

Torpedo Ally is a great game!! I see in my near future !!!

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Got a really nice Torpedo Alley fully populated playfield field, getting ready to switchaikovsky it with my "just ok" playfield. Let the winter projects begin!

Torpedo Ally is a great game!! I see it in my near future !!!

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from ltd73:

Torpedo Alley started my love for "unlicensed" DE titles.

I have yet to play that one.

#527 7 years ago

I was trying to piece together a Torpedo Ally but unfortunately it did not come to fruition.

Backglass (awesome cheesy 80s) and backglass animation insert are easy to find, most plastics I have been able to find, even found a couple of playfields BUT the cave plastics are unobtainium.

#528 7 years ago

There is a for sale ad currently - $2,600 unless its already been picked up.

#529 7 years ago

Hey fellaz im trying to find a place to start checking my secret service game all works except about 95 percent of display and when u push start the start sound is made but the game doesnt start im thinking i might have a bad game rom what do yall think the blanking light does not go out and the 5v led is lit, the pia light is not lit any sugestions would be helpful

#530 7 years ago

Are you sure you did not blow a solenoid fuse?

#531 7 years ago

Any body might know what game this cab belongs to???

20170107_135738 (resized).jpg20170107_135738 (resized).jpg

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from corey0827:

Any body might know what game this cab belongs to???

That's Gottlieb's Solar Ride.

#533 7 years ago

Any body in the atl area might want to buy this empty cab

#534 7 years ago
Quoted from corey0827:

Any body in the atl area might want to buy this empty cab

you are in the wrong thread - Data East Pinball Club.

Try creating either 1) ad in the marketplace or 2) create topic on the forum

#535 7 years ago

Anyone know the best/easiest way to test for 9volts on my flippers for playboy 35th? My flippers are not holding, only machine gunning so I'm under the impression that I'm not getting a full 9 volts....

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Anyone know the best/easiest way to test for 9volts on my flippers for playboy 35th? My flippers are not holding, only machine gunning so I'm under the impression that I'm not getting a full 9 volts....

have you also checked the spacing between the flipper contact switch?

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

have you also checked the spacing between the flipper contact switch?

Yes, completely rebuilt everything. Both flips do the same thing which leads me to believe I'm not getting the required 9 volts to hold them up until button is released. Using a new xpin power supply so I'm just wondering the best way to test the 9 volts, both at the power supply and maybe at the flips?

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

I was trying to piece together a Torpedo Ally but unfortunately it did not come to fruition.
Backglass (awesome cheesy 80s) and backglass animation insert are easy to find, most plastics I have been able to find, even found a couple of playfields BUT the cave plastics are unobtainium.

I have been trying to work with some guys to.get some caves made. I am interested in buying any Boards or a cabinet for TA and Monday Night Football. Also looking for a Secret Service

#539 7 years ago

There was a cheap secret service in my area on CL last week. If you can get the caves and make molds then we would be in business

1 week later
#540 7 years ago

I'm back in the club!

I had a tmnt and had to sell it a while back.
But now I have a Simpsons and it needs some love, I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions here about it.

IMG_4011 (resized).JPGIMG_4011 (resized).JPG

Edit: ok, first question... what do I do about the red cooling towers ?

They're broken, do I need to buy the tspp cooling towers and try something there?

#541 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm back in the club!
I had a tmnt and had to sell it a while back.
But now I have a Simpsons and it needs some love, I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions here about it.

Edit: ok, first question... what do I do about the red cooling towers ?
They're broken, do I need to buy the tspp cooling towers and try something there?

Welcome to the club. Simpsons is my favorite DE game. I have the new TSPP cooling towers and really love them. My game came with the original towers, but one was broken and I did not even like the looks of them. I sold them on Ebay. 20170212_085847 (resized).jpg20170212_085847 (resized).jpg

#542 7 years ago

Welcome to the club. Simpsons is my favorite DE game. I have the new TSPP cooling towers and really love them. My game came with the original towers, but one was broken and I did not even like the looks of them. I sold them on Ebay.

Wow those look great!
How did you attach them?

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Wow those look great!
How did you attach them?

Just a small playfield rubber holds it in place at the top. Everything comes together as a kit.

#544 7 years ago

Just a small playfield rubber holds it in place at the top. Everything comes together as a kit.

Is it the kit from Marco ? Looks like they're sold out

Looks like pinballlife has the red towers

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Try PB resource

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

There was a cheap secret service in my area on CL last week. If you can get the caves and make molds then we would be in business

I have the caves, going to talk to some guys about molds. How much would people be willing to spend ? The problem with a limited release game is there is less of a market to sell to. I have a full set of perfect caves, a set of pretty nice cave and a NOS Left Cave.. NOT FOR SALE, just braggin'

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Looks like pinballlife has the red towers

I wish I remembered where I bought my set about 4 years ago.

#548 7 years ago

Anyone have the left and right pivot for sale? The one that goes on the playfield.

#549 7 years ago

I wish I remembered where I bought my set about 4 years ago.

The cooling tower kit includes a bracket that you can see behind the red plastic tower for support on top of the pop bumpers. So if you buy only the plastic towers, that will not be all that you need.

#550 7 years ago

You could purchase the parts separately since all the part numbers are listed. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5028-SET

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.