• Yes, I have one. 570 votes
    58%
  • I have one or more. 280 votes
    29%
  • Considering buying one or more. 84 votes
    9%
  • No, never 44 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 978 votes by 936 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2703 (resized).jpeg
67312872-3690-4A0C-A367-BFA047062595 (resized).jpeg
20240325_112554 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
0315241421.jpg
0315241430.jpg
0315241420.jpg
R&B Problem Solving (resized).jpg
received_7209732659109600.jpeg
received_412878897897607.jpeg
received_7503193196399245.jpeg
received_925266752300128.jpeg
IMG_6450 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 62.
#451 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

NeedHelp....I'm getting a popping sound through my speakers that is synchronized to the rapid flashing of the LEDs.

What type of power supply do you have? Picture will help if you don't know.

#452 7 years ago

Rottendog

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

NeedHelp....I'm getting a popping sound through my speakers that is synchronized to the rapid flashing of the LEDs. Not the flashing that makes you think your going to have a seizure from the GI lighting but instead the flashing of the skill shot lights or the flashing of the scoop target lighting. I have flipper fidelity speakers and a pinsound board. I used to have a similar problem related to the rope lights but I fixed a short and then the popping sound went away. I'm not talking about the data east hum either, this is a distinct pop with every flash.
Thanks

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What type of power supply do you have? Picture will help if you don't know.

Rottendog with Pinsound. You should contact Pinsound for help.
Actually even best to start a repair thread as well with your specific setup.
This will be too much involved to help out on this thread.

Here is one such thread for a reference.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-use-pinsound-board-with-date-east-games

#454 7 years ago

Thanks

#455 7 years ago

Is there a way to increase ball save time on data east pins?

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Is there a way to increase ball save time on data east pins?

I don't believe so. I've had numerous DE titles and have yet to find a setting. The times got better when Sega took over. Maverick had a decent ball saver.
At least Lethal Weapon 3 had the bullet proof vest, you could see if it was enabled...my Rocky and Bullwinkle has no light indication, just hope you get it back.

#457 7 years ago

I didn't think so. I wanted to increase the ball save time on my rocky and Bullwinkle if possible.

2 weeks later
#458 7 years ago

Good to see plenty of cabinet decals now available for Data East pins:

http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/data-east/

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from PeteB:

Good to see plenty of cabinet decals now available for Data East pins:
http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/data-east/

wonder how long before they get a letter... looks good, anybody used them that can comment on quality?

#460 7 years ago

The one thing on DE games that always bothers me a little bit is the flippers. For some reason, and I can't figure out why, they feel cheap. I don't know if it's the clicking sound they make or what but the B/W games aren't like this. My TFTC isn't bad but it's noticeable to me. Any ideas why this is? Has any one made any modifications to make it feel more solid? Thanks!

#461 7 years ago

Funny you say that, I feel just the opposite between my 3 Williams sys 11 and my 2 DE. However, I need to make the spring mod to my hook because the spring mounted on the plunger just isn't as responsive as the side/spring.

#462 7 years ago

Interesting. I have 4 B/W and they all have the same flipper feel whereas TFTC has kind of this clunky sound compared to those 4. I noticed this when I played a couple others on location such as Tommy and BTTF. Some new Stern games have this clunkier feel to me too, especially when I played Wrestlemania.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#463 7 years ago

Nice to see the DE decals are being made ... However no TFTC ?

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

The one thing on DE games that always bothers me a little bit is the flippers. For some reason, and I can't figure out why, they feel cheap. I don't know if it's the clicking sound they make or what but the B/W games aren't like this. My TFTC isn't bad but it's noticeable to me. Any ideas why this is? Has any one made any modifications to make it feel more solid? Thanks!

It's funny you guys mention this. When searching for my second game, I had a list of potentials in mind for the price point I wanted to stay in, and near the top of the list was TFTC. I loved the show growing up and have a nice Gottlieb Haunted House, so it naturally was a good fit to sit next to HH. An older pinball playing buddy of mine said, "don't get a Data East, those flippers are so annoying, all they sound like is clack-clack-clack, you want a game with nice feeling flippers like B/W."

At the time, I didn't notice it, until he said something, then any video I watched of TFTC gameplay all I heard was the clacking flippers and thought it was going to be a huge annoyance. His sentiments did sway my opinion a little, but over the course of the following months or so I started to forget about the flipper noise issue and the theme and gameplay drew me in more and more. Then finally, I had the opportunity to buy a nice one locally from a pin friend, and to be honest with you, I haven't noticed it or thought about it once until just now reading this thread.

Now, my TFTC looks to have the flippers replaced with all black ones and came with the finger mods on them, so maybe mine isn't like the old ones. I haven't dissected the flipper mechanics enough yet to get a good look, or compare, since mine are super strong and all the mechanics at a glance look really clean and healthy.

That's just my two cents. It was a worry, and then I forgot all about it and haven't crossed my mind since. Maybe this thread will ruin it for me and now all I'll hear is the clack-clack-clack amidst the Cryptkeeper's cackle...

#465 7 years ago

I almost always rebuild the flippers as soon as I get a machine which may also be why I haven't had much complaint. I've heard people say that data east sometimes goes with coils that are too strong, so maybe that has an effect on how it sounds when it hits the stop. Otherwise, the guts are nearly identical.

#466 7 years ago

It's not a big issue or anything but if there was some sort of fix I may as well do it. One thing I noticed on mine were plastic stoppers on the flipper solenoids instead of rubber. I thought that might have something to do with the sound difference.

1 week later
#467 7 years ago

No checkpoint decals either...no worries though, in the Checkpoint club a decal run is currently underway

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

wonder how long before they get a letter... looks good, anybody used them that can comment on quality?

They are not in the US, so stern can send them as many letters as they want.... wont do them any good.

#469 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

No checkpoint decals either...no worries though, in the Checkpoint club a decal run is currently underway

Yes there are.
ebay.com link: Checkpoint Data East Pinball Decals

#470 7 years ago

Yes there are.
ebay.com link » Checkpoint Data East Pinball Decals

This is a brand new item that was posted earlier in the week from Croatia

#471 7 years ago

Data East love. Someone should start to do plastics.

1 week later
#472 7 years ago

Yes a plastic set would be great...

#473 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Data East love. Someone should start to do plastics.

CPR already ran some DE Star Wars, DE Star Trek 25th anniversary, and DE Playboy 35th anniversary plastic sets.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-plastics.html

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Checkpoint decals are available from Retro Refurbs at the link posted above.

#475 7 years ago

TFTC plastics have also been reproduced and turned out very nice.

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Can be bought currently anywhere?

#477 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Can be bought currently anywhere?

Yep. http://starship-fantasy.com/plastics/Tales-From-the-Crypt

#478 7 years ago

POTA plastic sets also available.
http://starship-fantasy.com/plastics/paginate/36

#479 7 years ago

I really could use a new Royal Rumble set. Has anyone seen some?

#480 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I really could use a new Royal Rumble set. Has anyone seen some?

http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/wwf-royal-rumble-pinball-cabinet-decals/

#481 7 years ago

Those decals are sweet, but I need some new plastics. Anyone doing plastics?

2 weeks later
#482 7 years ago

Anybody on here with a Data East Simpsons Pin ever have the switch on the millions ramp go out? I recently noticed that it no longer responds when I hit it. I am wondering if I need to replace the whole switch or if it's just a fuse that has gone bad. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#483 7 years ago

There are no fuses on switches. If that millions ramp switch is not registering, it either needs adjusting or replacement. This is assuming all other switches in the game are working. Go into the switch test and verify all switches are working. If you have a full row or column of switches not working, then you'll looking at a shorted transistor or IC.

#484 7 years ago

There are no fuses on switches. If that millions ramp switch is not registering, it either needs adjusting or replacement. This is assuming all other switches in the game are working. Go into the switch test and verify all switches are working. If you have a full row or column of switches not working, then you'll looking at a shorted transistor or IC.

Thank you, I am fairly new at this troubleshooting repairs.....do you know where I can find a replacement switch if its just the one that has gone bad? I can't seem to find myself.

#485 7 years ago

WANTED: Mounting Brackets for Data East Transformer
Need 2 to replace broken ones, please lmk if you have some, THANKS!

Sadly, non-Data East brackets are not the same. I've had half a dozen people in Florida do the measuring for me with no luck.
Same with Home Depot corner braces.

I'm thinking Sega/Stern brackets should work, but less likely to come across parted out brackets from newer games.
If it helps, the brackets I need are 4 1/4 long with a 7/8 bit at the bottom of the 'L'
The holes on the long side are at 3/8 and 3 7/8 from the top to center.
Short side oval hole is 3/8 to center.

trans bracket (resized).jpgtrans bracket (resized).jpg

#486 7 years ago

Was wondering if anyone with a Playboy 35th could shoot me photos of how the slide the mansion sits on, is mounted in the back? I seem to be missing whatever it is, as I'm piecing back together and bring it back to life and it's been a fun restoration but hard when you can't see pics of certain parts of playfield on internet. Thank you for any help.

Sight_2016_09_28_185412_249 (resized).jpgSight_2016_09_28_185412_249 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#487 7 years ago
Quoted from Snwbrdrmidget15:

Thank you, I am fairly new at this troubleshooting repairs.....do you know where I can find a replacement switch if its just the one that has gone bad? I can't seem to find myself.

Did you find one? I normally do an internet search using the part number in the manual.

#488 7 years ago

Good news. Colorful LED ColorDMD's are now available for some DE games.
http://shop.colordmd.com/led-displays/

Currently, GNR, Star Wars and Tommy all have their color ROMs released now for the LED display. There would be no need to modify the speaker panel for these too fit either.

Also, you can even purchase a LED ColorDMD and enjoy a single color in Sigma mode which you can choose which color you want the display to be. Once a color ROM is available in the future for your title, then you'll be able to upgrade to full color.

Please note that this color LED display only replaces the 128x32 size DMD.

#489 7 years ago

I just finished shopping and powder coating my LAH. It's been a blast so far. Tons to do. I'm still missing the "admit one" plastic. If anyone has a set in any condition please pm me. I've been looking for over a year.

IMG_1681 (resized).JPGIMG_1681 (resized).JPG

IMG_1683 (resized).JPGIMG_1683 (resized).JPG

#490 7 years ago

http://shop.colordmd.com/led-displays/
Currently, GNR, Star Wars and Tommy all have their color ROMs released now for the LED display. There would be no need to modify the speaker panel for these too fit either.
Also, you can even purchase a LED ColorDMD and enjoy a single color in Sigma mode which you can choose which color you want the display to be. Once a color ROM is available in the future for your title, then you'll be able to upgrade to full color.
Please note that this color LED display only replaces the 128x32 size DMD.

(cough, cough) Jurassic Park (cough)

#491 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

(cough, cough) Jurassic Park (cough)

Sounds like you need to see a doctor.

#492 7 years ago

Waiting for color !

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#493 7 years ago

Hey everyone, I just bought a WWF Royal Rumble that is acting strange. A video is below. Essentially it is giving me an error when turned on that says "Command AC" or "Command AD", then goes blank. If I open the coin door, it'll then seem to kick on and be playable (but starts at ball 1 for some reason instead of attract mode), but some of the graphics don't come through on the DMD (the DMD is fairly new so it's not an issue with the screen itself). Any ideas on where to start checking or if anyone has ran into these issues?

#494 7 years ago

Unplug machine.

1. check for burned out fuses in the backbox
2. reseat all connectors, check for burn marks at the connectors
3. check for disconnected wires and diodes on all solenoids and switches

Come back and report your findings.

2 weeks later
#495 7 years ago

Where's everybody?

1479584864012315815814 (resized).jpg1479584864012315815814 (resized).jpg

#496 7 years ago

Got a really nice Torpedo Alley fully populated playfield field, getting ready to switchaikovsky it with my "just ok" playfield. Let the winter projects begin!

1479584947725-246607572 (resized).jpg1479584947725-246607572 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#497 7 years ago

Torpedo Alley. Now that is one I hadn't played yet.

1 week later
#498 7 years ago

Having a small issue on my R&B. My right ramp exit switch has quit working. i checked the wires to the CPU, both have continuity. I looked at the switch matrix, unfortunately, there is only one other switch in the column. It is working, the switches in the row seem to be working. I went through the switch tests, had 2 other switches that weren't registering. I activated them several times, then they started working????
Seems odd to me. There is a diode on the switch terminals. Well technically it looks like its hooked to 1 leg, then to a different point then the other wire is hooked to. Separate question while running through the switch tests, the 3 hat trick targets, the outside ones, when i activate them and hold the target, they register once. When i push and hold the center one, it keeps registering. Any ideas what to check, or what is wrong there. probably why i get the wrong...wrong...wrong hat. thanks in advance. i'm guessing maybe the switch is bad on the ramp. I can here it clicking when i move the arm.

#499 7 years ago

I just installed a new Pinsound board in my DE Star Trek. Followed the instructions to the letter, but when I turn in back on, the start button doesn't work. It's set up on free play.

All the lights and DMD are working fine. Any ideas?

board (resized).jpgboard (resized).jpg

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from PeoriaKid:

I just installed a new Pinsound board in my DE Star Trek. Followed the instructions to the letter, but when I turn in back on, the start button doesn't work. It's set up on free play.
All the lights and DMD are working fine. Any ideas?

test out all the switches in the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-pinball-club/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.