You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy[1].gif
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0393 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

For those that have owned a Phantom Of The Opera in the past, what are some key areas to focus on when buying one?

Do the ramps typically hold up? Are there any unobtanium parts?

Any plastics that are prone to breaking?

How does the game hold up over time? In the 5-10 plays I have put on one, it seems like a fun and challenging game that should hold up well in a larger collection.

Any help is appreciated.

Marcus

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from frankie898:

I just sold mine last year. Make sure the magic mirror is there because it cant be found. They do sell protector decal replacements for the mirror and stand-up targets, but not the spinner. The game is fun and i miss it. Great music and art. Some of the best in pinball. I also feel its a game that feels better without LEDs, since the regular bulbs match the moodiness of the games theme.

Isn't the magic mirror basically a metal sheet that acts as a flap for the shot?

If the mirror is missing, can it be easily reproduced by a metal fabricator?

Marcus

#8 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

I went ahead and made a deal with classic_stern for a DE Phantom Of The Opera.

I also lucked out and found a super nice Backglass with mask on eBay. There are also decal sets and plastic sets available. This game should turn out really nice.

The game currently powers up, but does not boot. The top display does not power on, but I hope it's an issue with the slightly toasty, aka burnt, connector that will be repinned and hopefully saved. I need to find a Magic Mirror Replacement, but luckily I have an original to reference when I get the part remade.

I'll add some pictures later today.

Thanks again for all the help!

Marcus

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Now, I know who bought the backglass.
I price quoted the shipping, but I have been regional travelling out of the country, and could not close the deal.
You beat me to the strike of the iron.
Hopefully, you did not pay full price, as this was unwarranted, and you can negotiate.

I was advised that the backglass in that condition was unobtanium. So rather than try to save 50-100 bucks and possibly miss out on the backglass, I just pulled the trigger and paid full price.

Marcus

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I had the same problem when I bought my POTO. It would power up but not start. The problem was with the CPU board and I had it sent in to a place and they fixed it. The game works great now. I would take a good look at the CPU.

Do you remember what exactly was wrong with the board? I have a board repair tech coming to my home next week to take a look. Would be great to offer up some sort of direction.

Marcus

1 week later
#18 7 years ago

My NOS Backglass arrived today.

It is awesome. Almost hate to remove it from its frame. Almost.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Marcus

#21 7 years ago

I'm giving serious debate to playing this one a while and upgrading to a better example when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm going to keep the NOS glass in the frame for now until I have my game up to par.

There is more wear than I originally noticed on the playfield. But that is only because the art is so intricate and the wear areas are blending into the art rather well.

My game needs some board repair as there is corrosion on the chip sockets. That will hopefully fix my issue.

Should be a fun journey.

Marcus

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xerico.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-phantom-of-opera-discussion?tu=xerico and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.