You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

giphy[1].gif
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0393 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

For those that have owned a Phantom Of The Opera in the past, what are some key areas to focus on when buying one?

Do the ramps typically hold up? Are there any unobtanium parts?

Any plastics that are prone to breaking?

How does the game hold up over time? In the 5-10 plays I have put on one, it seems like a fun and challenging game that should hold up well in a larger collection.

Any help is appreciated.

Marcus

#2 7 years ago

I have owned a POTO for ~4 years; bought mine without ever having played it because my wife and I love the theme (and the price was good).

The trap door seems to be the most impossible to replace part. The trap door on mine was 50% in tact when I bought it, so I had to hack it a little, but it's fully functional and pretty good looking. Ramps and plastics seem to hold up well, but I believe there are new replacements available if necessary. Also, the Phantom's mask, which is printed on the *outside* of the backglass, is very often flaked away. However, my wife printed out a replacement mask and stuck it to the backglass, and it looks great. A 10 cent solution that did a B+ job (i'm sure with some experimenting with different paper types etc you could make it an A+ job). I have a hi-res file of the mask that I could share if needed.

Gameplay wise, it is simple but challenging. The main goal is the multiball (which actually has a pretty interesting progression). What keeps me coming back is the difficulty of the game. It is very fast and unforgiving. The super jackpot is a serious achievement. It's a great game to compete with friends on because the ball times are short, the objectives are clear, and getting a good score is challenging. I'd be wary of having it in a small (1-3) game collection just because of the simplicity, but it works great in my 5 game collection.

Finally, what most people say about the game is that the artwork and music are its best aspects. I'm more concerned with playing the game than looking at it, but I do agree that the sound is fantastic (I hooked mine up to a sub and it's incredible), and the artwork really is beautiful and so detailed.

#3 7 years ago

I just sold mine last year. Make sure the magic mirror is there because it cant be found. They do sell protector decal replacements for the mirror and stand-up targets, but not the spinner. The game is fun and i miss it. Great music and art. Some of the best in pinball. I also feel its a game that feels better without LEDs, since the regular bulbs match the moodiness of the games theme.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from frankie898:

I just sold mine last year. Make sure the magic mirror is there because it cant be found. They do sell protector decal replacements for the mirror and stand-up targets, but not the spinner. The game is fun and i miss it. Great music and art. Some of the best in pinball. I also feel its a game that feels better without LEDs, since the regular bulbs match the moodiness of the games theme.

Isn't the magic mirror basically a metal sheet that acts as a flap for the shot?

If the mirror is missing, can it be easily reproduced by a metal fabricator?

Marcus

#5 7 years ago

The mirror can be fabricated, I got one made at a local furnace place. The guy banged it out in a couple minutes and did it for nothing because he thought it was interesting. I think the critical thing to look at is the playfield, the gold commonly wears. The ones with nice play fields seem to go for more. I love the pin it's awesome considering the era. Many people seem to compare it the DMD era and rate it poorly. Against other system 11s it more than holds its own, great game.

#6 7 years ago

Need a magic mirror contact cliffy. He had made a few with side brackets.
Magicchiz

#7 7 years ago

A perfect backglass with no damage on the Phantom transition face.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

I went ahead and made a deal with classic_stern for a DE Phantom Of The Opera.

I also lucked out and found a super nice Backglass with mask on eBay. There are also decal sets and plastic sets available. This game should turn out really nice.

The game currently powers up, but does not boot. The top display does not power on, but I hope it's an issue with the slightly toasty, aka burnt, connector that will be repinned and hopefully saved. I need to find a Magic Mirror Replacement, but luckily I have an original to reference when I get the part remade.

I'll add some pictures later today.

Thanks again for all the help!

Marcus

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I also lucked out and found a super nice Backglass with mask on eBay. There are also decal sets and plastic sets available. This game should turn out really nice.
The game currently powers up, but does not boot. The top display does not power on, but I hope it's an issue with the slightly toasty, aka burnt, connector that will be repinned and hopefully saved. I need to find a Magic Mirror Replacement, but luckily I have an original to reference when I get the part remade.
Marcus

Now, I know who bought the backglass.
I price quoted the shipping, but I have been regional travelling out of the country, and could not close the deal.
You beat me to the strike of the iron.
Hopefully, you did not pay full price, as this was unwarranted, and you can negotiate.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Marcus

I had the same problem when I bought my POTO. It would power up but not start. The problem was with the CPU board and I had it sent in to a place and they fixed it. The game works great now. I would take a good look at the CPU.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I price quoted the shipping, but I have been regional travelling out of the country, and could not close the deal.
Hopefully, you did not pay full price, as this was unwarranted, and you can negotiate.

Maybe if he negotiated though, you would have swooped in and got it.

#12 7 years ago

I was advised that the backglass in that condition was unobtanium. So rather than try to save 50-100 bucks and possibly miss out on the backglass, I just pulled the trigger and paid full price.

Marcus

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

I had the same problem when I bought my POTO. It would power up but not start. The problem was with the CPU board and I had it sent in to a place and they fixed it. The game works great now. I would take a good look at the CPU.

Do you remember what exactly was wrong with the board? I have a board repair tech coming to my home next week to take a look. Would be great to offer up some sort of direction.

Marcus

#14 7 years ago

No, sorry I don't. I had a tech repair guy come in and he took the board and sent it to a guy that he knows and got it back in about two weeks. I asked him but he said he didn't bother to ask what was wrong. He put it in and it worked just fine. If the guy coming to your place is experienced in board repair he should be able to figure it out. It does really sound to me like it is the CPU as mine was doing the same exact thing.

Steve

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I was advised that the backglass in that condition was unobtanium. So rather than try to save 50-100 bucks and possibly miss out on the backglass, I just pulled the trigger and paid full price.
Marcus

You are accurate on the availability, not many left except when games get parted out.
Some did to make two games into one.
I was going to keep that one on my one of my last walls somewhere.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

No, sorry I don't. I had a tech repair guy come in and he took the board and sent it to a guy that he knows and got it back in about two weeks. I asked him but he said he didn't bother to ask what was wrong. He put it in and it worked just fine. If the guy coming to your place is experienced in board repair he should be able to figure it out. It does really sound to me like it is the CPU as mine was doing the same exact thing.
Steve

I too had a non-booting game that got repaired. I believe the issue was the 2 main capacitors (one of which is huge) on the CPU board. Your tech guy should know better than me, but that solved it on my game.

#17 7 years ago

i have owned one. common is missing art/gold paint. never seen one in perfect shape. magic mirror is a plate plus a spring to shut the mirror. backglass has art work on both sides. artwork on the outside is usually cracked and flakey. make sure pop bumpers pop and score. those double stack switches for the pops are very hard to find. game card has all the rules on it. if you play the game it is very fast and tough. make sure the organ works properly too. motor is tough to find.

#18 7 years ago

My NOS Backglass arrived today.

It is awesome. Almost hate to remove it from its frame. Almost.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Marcus

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

My NOS Backglass arrived today.
It is awesome. Almost hate to remove it from its frame. Almost.

Marcus

Keep it safe, and in a climate controlled environment.
Watch for veining and flaking, as this backglass was not as well constructed as 1970s EM glasses.

#20 7 years ago

Congrats. I love mine. Had one before and sold it. Had seller's remorse immediately and found another one. This one is staying.

#21 7 years ago

I'm giving serious debate to playing this one a while and upgrading to a better example when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm going to keep the NOS glass in the frame for now until I have my game up to par.

There is more wear than I originally noticed on the playfield. But that is only because the art is so intricate and the wear areas are blending into the art rather well.

My game needs some board repair as there is corrosion on the chip sockets. That will hopefully fix my issue.

Should be a fun journey.

Marcus

4 months later
#22 7 years ago

Hey guys,

Wondering if someone can help me out with a pic of the organ door arm where it attaches to the motor. Mine was working fine and now won't fully close, I think I am possibly missing a spring or maybe I have the wrong arm installed...

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

#23 7 years ago

Amazing!! Please have that back glass scanned now!

2 weeks later
#24 7 years ago

where did you get the backglass? private owner? anybody know where to get stand up target decals?

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

anybody know where to get stand up target decals?

Try an art supply store.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

where did you get the backglass? private owner? anybody know where to get stand up target decals?

Are you looking for the music notes or the round gold?
Magicchiz

3 weeks later
#27 7 years ago

Does anyone else have a problem when a second lock ball enters where it rests (sorry not sure how to explain it) that the second ball instead of landing behind the first ball, it will ride over the first ball and rest on top of the second ball? It doesn't happen every time for me, but every 5 or 6th time it does it.

3 weeks later
#28 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Amazing!! Please have that back glass scanned now!

I located another unblemished backglass for my collection racks (the owner had a NOS spare) that eventually may be scanned for use by BGResto or CPR but there are several problems specific to this game backglass.
This is a much more complicated backglass to recreate than others, and it will be more expensive to recreate.
First, is the mirroring.
Second, is the mask, which has a transparent silver filtering in order to show the Phantom face when lighted.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Rhart51:

Does anyone else have a problem when a second lock ball enters where it rests (sorry not sure how to explain it) that the second ball instead of landing behind the first ball, it will ride over the first ball and rest on top of the second ball? It doesn't happen every time for me, but every 5 or 6th time it does it.

I just finished restoring mine and am seeing the same problem. I'll have to think about it, but right now I'm thinking about installing a ball gate along the path that the ball rolls before it gets to the VUK, so that a second ball is slowed down a bit and doesn't occasionally ride up over the first ball. It seems the second ball shoots down the path so fast it just bounces up and over top of the first locked ball.

1 week later
#30 7 years ago

ill have a poto for sale in the next week or 2 if someone is looking.

#31 7 years ago

when ball hits organ targets, is it normal for organ to raise up and then slam back down. the weight of the ball reaches the top of the organ ramp then causes organ to tilt open. What is supposed to stop this? I looked under playfield, but don't see any way to prevent this from happening, is there a rubber grommet or something supposed to be on the motor?

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

What is supposed to stop this? I looked under playfield, but don't see any way to prevent this from happening, is there a rubber grommet or something supposed to be on the motor?

It's not supposed to do that. I think there is an arm that isn't engaged by the coil or mech until the targets are hit 3 times, or you get the skill shot / rollovers that also raise it. I've seen that happen on someone else's game, but again it's not supposed to. Something isn't right. I can check mine out when I get home tonight or tomorrow if someone hasn't answered by then.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Rhart51:

Make sure the path behind the first locked ball (under the plastic) isn't obstructed. That does happen occasionally even when it's not, it's the only weird design on this pin. Both balls have to be sitting on that switch for multiball to be ready...you'll hear the cool music change and light show. Jaaaackkkpottttttt!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It's not supposed to do that. I think there is an arm that isn't engaged by the coil or mech until the targets are hit 3 times, or you get the skill shot / rollovers that also raise it. I've seen that happen on someone else's game, but again it's not supposed to. Something isn't right. I can check mine out when I get home tonight or tomorrow if someone hasn't answered by then.

yeah if you could, take a pic for me. there is a lot of play in my armature. it raises fine when supposed to, but... it also tilts

#35 7 years ago

IMG_0393 (resized).JPGIMG_0393 (resized).JPG

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

when ball hits organ targets, is it normal for organ to raise up and then slam back down. the weight of the ball reaches the top of the organ ramp then causes organ to tilt open. What is supposed to stop this? I looked under playfield, but don't see any way to prevent this from happening, is there a rubber grommet or something supposed to be on the motor?

Mine also does this every time the ball hits the organ targets. I just figured this was normal and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. If it isn't normal I'm not sure what to do about.

#37 7 years ago

anybody else with a poto verify this is normal?

#38 7 years ago

No, I have never had the organ open and slam back down like that.

#39 7 years ago

Here's mine. I see the problem. You're missing the retention spring on the armature, and I'm assuming anybody that has or had this issue is missing it as well.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Mine also does this every time the ball hits the organ targets. I just figured this was normal and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. If it isn't normal I'm not sure what to do about.

Like stated above, not normal. Sometimes when you shoot the ramp you get a slight lift, but barely. I've rebuilt my flippers, so sometimes when it really gets up the ramp quickly and slams the targets the organ ramp might lift only slightly...about 1/8" or so. But that's just from the force. But my buddy has one that was literally lifting way up each time the ball ascended the ramp, so I'm assuming his arm is missing the spring also.

#41 7 years ago

awesome, thank you, it was driving me crazy! lol

#42 7 years ago

what coils are used for the flippers too?

2 weeks later
#43 7 years ago

I can take a look later...haven't jumped on here too much lately.

1 month later
#44 6 years ago

I am in desperate need of a backglass...please please please help a brother out..PM me

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from apic7917:

I am in desperate need of a backglass...please please please help a brother out..PM me

Not to rain on your parade, but good luck. They don't come up often.

1 week later
#46 6 years ago

Interesting fun fact:

Most people do not know Paul Faris used his own daughter as the model of the woman on the backglass and playfield dressed in lingerie. Some people find this a little bit creepy. Think about that when you play this title.

#47 6 years ago

I located another unblemished backglass for my collection racks (the owner had a NOS spare) that eventually may be scanned for use by BGResto or CPR but there are several problems specific to this game backglass.
This is a much more complicated backglass to recreate than others, and it will be more expensive to recreate.
First, is the mirroring.
Second, is the mask, which has a transparent silver filtering in order to show the Phantom face when lighted.

I hear ya, but I am willing to pay for this as are many other people. POTO has the best art of any game out there! Let's get it done!

#48 6 years ago

Interesting fun fact:
Most people do not know Paul Faris used his own daughter as the model of the woman on the backglass and playfield dressed in lingerie. Some people find this a little bit creepy. Think about that when you play this title.

Well I sure as hell will think about that now.

giphy[1].gifgiphy[1].gif

Actually yeah, that's kinda weird.

#49 6 years ago

great music on this pin, old data east sound quality on this game and Robocop is bada$$

1 month later
#50 6 years ago

If anybody is missing a backglass completely, and doesn't have small children....

Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “New alternate translite for Phantom of the Opera. Also great for wall art. Has one very small minor scuff on center / right hand side. Price includes shipping.”
2017-10-03
Langhorne, PA
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 639 times

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-phantom-of-opera-discussion/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.