Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by kryss63
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ive updates this post symptoms.

I’ve a strange one with my LW3
    So recently some of the voices went missing, some are missing completely, some play a loud screech instead, some are fine see video in post #3.
    I’ve researched but haven’t seen anyone else with similar issues
    Things I’ve checked:
    Ribbon from MPU to Audio board
    Checked all solder joints on Audio board
    Ram in Audio board
    Rom in MPU
    Roms in audio board
    PIAs in MPU
    Voltages on Audio board
    I’ve recapped most the Audio board, well the caps I had handy anyway.
    Reseated all connectors in back box
    Checked all fuses in back box.

My DMD controller is out of the machine at the minute while I wait on a replacement so I can’t go into diagnostic but I did check prior to removing it and I’m not getting any crc errors, just missing sounds And static when cycling through on some of the sounds.

#2 4 years ago

Whoops, lost video, I’ll make another and add shortly

#3 4 years ago

I take back what I said above, it’s not all voices. I just noticed most them were missing but not all.
    The “you have no authority” is definitely missing, just silent. “Okokok” is corrupt,
    The song c&c everybody dance now is totally corrupt and plays static and loud screeching, sometimes gameplay goes totally silent.
    I’ve verified the Roms in the burner

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cathaldub:

Things I’ve checked:
    Ribbon from MPU to Audio board

I don't know what you mean by 'checked'. Reseat both ends of the sound board ribbon cable.

#5 4 years ago

First I flipped both ends to see if the symptoms were the same. Then I swapped it out for the ribbon in my other pin

#6 4 years ago

Try reseating the other connectors on the sound board.

#7 4 years ago

I’ve removed the sound board completely a couple of times to reflow, recap, etc. Always the same result
    The voltages on the audio board though, just thinking I haven’t actually checked them while a game was in progress so I’m starting to wonder if either the 12v is being dragged down by something else or I’ve just found an interesting thread About AC ripple on the 12v

#8 4 years ago

Your +12v and -12v supplies are fine. If these were low, the amplifiers on the sound board would start cutting out, causing the sound to pop in and out completely. Your +5v supply is also fine, or else you would hear the power up sound repeatedly. You stated you already verified the sound ROM checksums to be valid. Your sound board likely has a bad address decoder chip or some other logic issue. I would suggest sending it to Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron for repair. He has repaired a similar issue for me and has even guaranteed his work with a free follow up fix when a second issue arose with my sound board.

http://www.coinopcauldron.com

#9 4 years ago

eeproms......the sound roms....

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Startek2:

eeproms......the sound roms....

I’ve verified all roms, they are ok

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Your +12v and -12v supplies are fine. If these were low, the amplifiers on the sound board would start cutting out, causing the sound to pop in and out completely. Your +5v supply is also fine, or else you would hear the power up sound repeatedly. You stated you already verified the sound ROM checksums to be valid. Your sound board likely has a bad address decoder chip or some other logic issue. I would suggest sending it to Clive at Coin-Op Cauldron for repair. He has repaired a similar issue for me and has even guaranteed his work with a free follow up fix when a second issue arose with my sound board.
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

Sending to the USA isn’t an option, the return shipping would cost as much as a new board or replace with a raspberry pi and I’m not sure the fault is definitely on the sound board, I’ve got a logic probe so can do some further investigation when I get time, it’s a pretty basic board logic wise so I was hoping someone here had seen a similar issue

#12 4 years ago

Problem is definitely not a sound board issue. Look at your feature lamps, they strobe all wrong. Just played mine to verify. My guess is something in the CPU is corrupt that is causing very erratic behavior

#13 4 years ago

Yep, I’m not convinced it’s anything to do with the soundboard either although that strobing is just the LEDs on video, I’m actually going to change all the inserts to standard bulbs, they look OK in person

#14 4 years ago

Is there a mod that you added in the game when all these different things started happening?

#15 4 years ago

No, just one day the sound went weird, it didn’t tie in with anything, although the LEDs are new, I’m actually going to remove them from the inserts as the strobing on videos is really annoying and I do get some ghosting despite them being non ghosting.

1 week later
    #16 4 years ago

So now I’ve my DMD back, it’s voice ROM2, I’ve reburnt and verfied and still the same.
    I’ve tested the sound board in another machine and the results are similar although would appear to be voice ROM1 in the other machine

#17 4 years ago

I’ve narrowed this down to U26(TDA1543). When I do a sound test I can see activity on pin3(Data) for all sounds, even ones which don't play aloud, the working sounds I can see activity on pin8 (AOR), but the missing sounds nothing, also nothing ever comes out of pin6 (AOL). I’ve ordered 1 so will see how it goes and update the post incase it helps anyone else.

1 year later
    #18 3 years ago

I have a very similar issue with my data east batman 91. How are you making out ? I'm not sure where to start after reseating all cables.

2 years later
    #19 5 months ago
    Quoted from Cathaldub:

I’ve narrowed this down to U26(TDA1543). When I do a sound test I can see activity on pin3(Data) for all sounds, even ones which don't play aloud, the working sounds I can see activity on pin8 (AOR), but the missing sounds nothing, also nothing ever comes out of pin6 (AOL). I’ve ordered 1 so will see how it goes and update the post incase it helps anyone else.

Hello @Cathaldub,
    I have quite the same problem.
    Do you confirm that, in your case, the issue was on the sound board ?
    Thanks in advance

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-no-voices-just-screeching?hl=startek2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.