6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #22 What is the function of a CPU? Posted by CactusJack (6 years ago)

Post #26 Description of a "NOP" CPU, a tool for troubleshooting. Posted by CactusJack (6 years ago)

Post #29 More about a "NOP" CPU. Posted by CactusJack (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadillacmusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Well, for some you can look up the datasheet for the chip, and see if all the signals out match correctly to the inputs. But that would take ages. If you're not getting anything from Leon's, you need to go back to basics. How is your chip socket for your Eprom? Do you have your jumpers right? Is your processor running? Do you have a known good processor to replace it with for testing?

#4 6 years ago

How's your clock signal? What voltages do you have on pins 39, 37, and 5?

#7 6 years ago

Which chips did you socket?

#9 6 years ago

Wow. How's pin 40? Behaving correctly?

#11 6 years ago

Why would 4v read low with the probe? If it's like 4.5v that's normal. But the whole blanking being on and off is very strange. Something isn't making a good connection somewhere.

#13 6 years ago

Sure, it's possible. It's sure not supposed to have two data lines tied together. I don't like your logic probe, though. 4.5 is high in anybody's book.

Edit: Before you start cutting legs on your PIAs, take a look at the resistor bank, RA4. Those can short as well.

#18 6 years ago

Well, that makes me feel better about your meter, at least I want to clarify: Do pins 28 and 29 have continuity to each other? I feel like you weren't the clearest in your description there.

#20 6 years ago

That's actually fantastic news. Pins 28 and 29 being together was bad juju. Pin 2, 40, and 6 being 5v is fine. There's no program, so the data lines won't be altering high and low, they're fine. The other ones are hard to tell without a scope. When you put your data probe on them, do they pulse? Or are they steady state? I don't suppose you have anything that can check the frequency of your clock, do you?

#24 6 years ago

Well, when you had the two data lines tied together, that was data being corrupted and thus the program couldn't start. Now that's fixed, you still can't start. The question is why, and I'm not sure I can get you much farther without a scope. If you want to, you could make the assumption that clock, VMA, and E are all fine, and start checking the address buses for movement. But without a scope, or the knowledge to use one at least, you can't know if the clock, VMA, or E are fine or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadillacmusic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-mpu-wont-load-eprom?tu=cadillacmusic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.