• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DataEastDisplay.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

Just picked up a Monday Night Football with known power supply board issues. The guy had a local tech tell him that the displays didn't work at all because of the 5v going out. I bought it anyway and had a new board waiting for it when it got here. After installing the new board, the displays work but the top display shows garbage. See pic. Thanks for the help!

DataEastDisplay.jpgDataEastDisplay.jpg
#2 10 years ago

OH, and I'm looking for any possible fixes I can try before shelling out for new displays. Thanks again!

#3 10 years ago

What did the old board do?

You have a segment issue on the top display with all segments on the top half of the apha's stuck on.

That's most likely a decoder on the display, bad cable or seating, mayyyyybe a cpu issue but unlikely. Very repairable. At least it is not out-gassed.

#4 10 years ago

Game functioned with the old board but nothing on the displays. I'm up for getting it fixed. Any recommendations?

#5 10 years ago

if it had nothing on the displays, yeah that board is likely dead. Especially where this one kind of works. However your still broke.

Do you have a scope?
Did you try re-seating the cable to the display?
Did you try turning the cable around end for end?
Do you have anyone nearby that would have a Williams System 11 pin to test it in?
Was this a NEW board? It look like an original DE board so it is probably a pull from another pin or a repair.
Did you talk to the person who you got the board from if it can be returned/tested?

#6 10 years ago

Do you have a scope? Nope.
Did you try re-seating the cable to the display? Yes
Did you try turning the cable around end for end? Yes
Do you have anyone nearby that would have a Williams System 11 pin to test it in? Nope.
Was this a NEW board? It look like an original DE board so it is probably a pull from another pin or a repair. The board that came with the machine was the original that had war scars. The new board is the standard rottendog power board.
Did you talk to the person who you got the board from if it can be returned/tested? Not yet. I'm reasonably sure it isn't the new power board but I will send him a PM here and run this by him.

Anyone used TwoBits for board repair?

#7 10 years ago

Actually, I have a Cyclone (11b) I wasn't thinking...

#8 10 years ago

Tested on my Cyclone: Top display strobes the same 'On' parts of the digits. I'm pointing the official finger of blame at the display board.

Now: To get it fixed or go LED....

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from AZDbacker:

The new board is the standard rottendog power board.

Ahh misunderstanding, when you said 'new board' I assumed you meant display board even though you said neither display or power.

So you have it isolated to the display... Let me look at the prints to find commonality.

#10 10 years ago

If I had to guess, you're looking at U15 and/or U12 the UDN7180 chips. Without a scope that's just a swag as they both buffer the lower (used on the upper part of the individual) alpha segments. Mostly likely not a digit select issue.

Not very common chips and easily blown with bad power as they take in and drive the -100 volts to the displays.

You could send it out for repair, you could still end up having to replace it as its about 30 years old and almost ready to outgass, or pay just over $150 and simply swap in a LED Rottendog replacement. Then sell your bad board to recoup the cost of the LED replacement.

#11 10 years ago

Patofnaud, That is exactly what I did. I have the new LED display en route and will sell this bad one for parts. Thanks again

#12 10 years ago

Easier and long term more reliable.

I can fix those displays but the parts are not cheap/common so I usually just rob from two bad boards to make one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-mnf-display-garbage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.