Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3_(resized).jpg
10333703_10203016936317246_5232775245149874283_o.jpg
Fio-ferida-ceramica-cimento-Resistor-0-1-Ohm-10-W-5-.jpg
20151110_133642.jpg
baked.jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I think I'd like to replace just those 3 with resistors that look like the original ?

That might be hard to match the color and size.

Modern resistors tend to be smaller.

#52 8 years ago

The originals were 3 watt resistors on the WMS boards IIRC. Part of the reason they burnt.

I've thrown away a lot of used ones that had plenty of life left the 5w cement resistors - especially the 'SQT' type - are good replacements. Especially if you don't want to do MOSFETs.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I've already desoldered and pulled off 1 off that had it's lead "clipped" and two even uglier ones.
I think I'd like to replace just those 3 with resistors that look like the original ?
What were the originals Williams used? Just trying to keep it's original look than mixing types in that column.

Replace them all. If you want it to look most original, 5W carbon resistors now-a-days are about the same size as the factory 3W resistors that was originally used.

5W rating is a 5W rating cement or carbon the best i understand. shouldnt really matter what type. Cement ones with footies are nice.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Replace them all. If you want it to look most original, 5W carbon resistors now-a-days are about the same size as the factory 3W resistors that was originally used.
5W rating is a 5W rating cement or carbon the best i understand. shouldnt really matter what type. Cement ones with footies are nice.

I went to order 8 of the cement"footies" type after reading your reply.
GPE seems to have locked down anyone ordering right now due to a backlog of orders to be filled.

Anyone know of another source?

#56 8 years ago

To bad you didn't live in Southern NH I have a zip lock bag used ones I pull off my boards. Just a silly thing to keep track of how many I've done.

#57 8 years ago

Thanks barakandl!
I ordered from Ed at GPE on Friday. The checkout hold was lifted! yeah!

#58 8 years ago

BTW, as I mentioned before, when I cut out the bad TIP42 with my dremel circular cutter disc saw, as careful as I was, I cut one of the leads to the 27ohm resistor next to it and also gave the PCB a slight "brazzing"...
What is a great pointy tip cutter tool that can sneak in there more easily to cut off those transistor leads the next time??

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

What is a great pointy tip cutter tool that can sneak in there more easily to cut off those transistor leads the next time??

http://gokimco.com/hobby-zone/hobby-hand-tools/chp-170-cutter-micro-clean-cut-16awg.html

#61 8 years ago

So what is the latest thoughts, can you do this on a DE like Rocky and Bullwinkle? If so is it the same, or what do you have to do differently?

#63 8 years ago

Newbie question.
I am about to replace those 8 burned up 27ohm resistors tonight with the cement ones.
Does it matter at all which way they go on the board?
(Other than footies facing down onto the board?)

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Newbie question.
I am about to replace those 8 burned up 27ohm resistors tonight with the cement ones.
(Other than footies facing down onto the board?)

Resistors don't have polarity, if that is what you are asking.

Remember to leave an air gap between the circuit board and the new resistors - you want lots of airflow.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Electronically no, but they just don't look good if they aren't all facing the same way.

#66 8 years ago

I sorta knew the answer but fearful of having to unsolder them all after the work.
I got them in all facing the same way, with the text facing the top of the backbox once installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-main-board-hot-resistors/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.