(Topic ID: 332285)

Data East LW3 shooter transistor keeps shorting out.

By wrd1972_PinDoc

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago

First, check that the wiring to the shooter coil isn't stretched tight, biting the wire insulation into any metal brackets that might be shorting the coil to ground. While you are looking, make sure that the coil's solder terminals aren't touching anything when the playfield is lowered. You probably put the coil back in exactly as you took the coil out, but the previous technician might have installed the coil in a way that allows for inappropriate touching.

A momentary touch of a coil wire to a metal grounded bracket can pop the TIP 36c, and then it's stuck on... burning up the coil.

The 23-800 coil should read about 4 ohms. If it reads less, like 0.2 ohms, your bad transistor has blown up a second coil which will then blow up the next TIP 36c transistor you put in.

I agree with Frunch.

Q27 is the TIP 122 that drives the TIP 36c that drives the shooter coil. It should measure exactly like all the other transistors around it. I replace TIP 122 transistors with TIP 102, which is a higher rated substitute part.

Q19 is the 2n4401 that drives the TIP 122 that drives the TIP 36c. It should measure exactly like all the other transistors around it.

Beyond these transistors you've got chips that could be the problem, but in my experience problems deeper than the drive transistors almost always present themselves by 'turn the machine on and the coil holds in before the game even boots'. And replacing the drive transistors fixes the problem more than 95% of the time.

Maybe it's just me, but in my experience I very rarely find a bad diode on a coil. Nevertheless, the banded side of the diode should be towards the Vio-Yellow (fat) wire. If you suspect the diode, you'll have to unsolder it, or do what I do, clip it off (taking care not to damage the tiny magnet wires), and put a new diode in.

Let us know what you find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinRetail.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-shooter-transistor-keeps-shorting-out?tu=PinRetail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.