Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by FrostyMug
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just picked up my first DMD game.....Lethal Weapon 3. While looking at the pin the dmd would not boot(just a big clump of dots) and there was a loud buzz. We switched out the power supply board and it then booted and played correctly. Obviously the guy didn't want to sell his board out of his other game. Today I intend on checking all solder connections and ensure that all chips are seated properly (read that in another post). Is there any thing else in particular I should take a look at? I searched and noticed I can buy a new board for roughly $100. Is this old board fixable or should I just swing for a new one? Thanks for any advice.

#2 8 years ago

Fix it.
Did you even measure all the fuses and the 5 volts or 12 volts yet? One of these are most likely the issue, especially if you're not getting any voltage to the MPU board (no LED's light up).

C2 (100uf 35v or 50V cap) is what I would recommend changing first and testing IF all of the fuses are measuring good. The C2 can leak and even damage the trace/feedthrough underneath and spoil your fun. C2 should be changed regardless of any other issues you find with it.

There are many other possibilities of part failures, but you do have to know where to start, which is with measuring voltages and testing out all the fuses.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Power_Supply_Issues

I recommend an Xpin power supply over Rottendog if you do go toward a new board.

2 weeks later
#3 8 years ago

mine did the same thing, bad capacitor on power supply board.

#4 8 years ago

Sonora70 , did you change C2 yet? You should be able to find a 100uf 50volt radial capacitor at Fry's Electronics if one is near you.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

and there was a loud buzz.

This is a telltale sign of a bad filter cap...very easy fix.

#6 8 years ago

My little itty bitty contribution is to check all fuses. I mean more than just visually looking and seeing one in place in each holder. Please check the fuse values against the manual or sometimes the card inside the back box and/or cabinet. Many times fuses are inserted in games because some owners were in a hurry or having issues. I always go back to factory value and then address problems after that if they exist.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-power-supply-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.