Data East LW3 DMD not lighting up

By TJ141

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

picked up a Data East LW3, the dmd is not working, everything works except the display, its just not lighting up and working.

I swapped the dmd out of another game and the same issue occurs, so the dmd isnt bad.

What board is to blame? any advice on getting this fixed?

#2 12 years ago

Check your input voltages from the power supply. Most likely you aren't getting any.

#1 = Fuse?
#2 = fuse holder for that particular fuse?

If fuse tests good it probably means you either have an issue with the power supply or a connector problem.

#3 12 years ago

Fuses look good, unfortunately i dont have a voltage reader.

#4 12 years ago

Go buy a sub $10 DMM at Radio Shack or Harbor Freight or someplace.

They are easy to learn to use, you won't kill yourself. Most importantly, it's the only way you are going to be able to figure out what is wrong short of just buying a bunch of new and expensive boards.

The fact that a known, good working display is also dark on your LW3 almost guarantees it's a power problem. You need a DMM to figure out if you are getting operating voltages sent to the display controller.

You said you swapped DMD's, so I assume you have a compatible game? If so, swap power supplies and see what happens (though be aware Data East went thru several different versions, so make certain it is compatible).

#5 12 years ago

Are the CPU controlled insert lamps on the playfield working?

#6 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys i appreciate your help!
I will pick up a meter next time i'm in town and post the readings.
Yes i believe the inserts are lighting up. I'll confirm and post back.

#7 12 years ago

Game boots and works fine, the cpu controlled inserts are all working fine. only the display is not working..

#8 12 years ago

Also half of the backbox GI is out... DMD issue still exists.

#9 12 years ago

picked up a DMM tonight, still learning how to use it, i plan on swapping the CPU board with WWFRR to see if the problem continues.

#10 12 years ago

ended up swapping the Power Supply board from WWFRR and that did the trick, now to figure out whats bad on my Power Supply from LW3, or order a used one.

#11 12 years ago

The problem is obviously in the HV section. First check the fuses with your new meter using the continuity test. It is the switch position in ohms that has a little speaker symbol associated with the position. Touch the leads together and you should hear a continuity tone.

Place the fuse off of the board between your two leads. A tone indicates the fuse is good.

Next closely examine the fuse holders on the power supply board. DE fuse holders commonly break, and break frequently. If the fuse isn't held firmly at both ends you can have a problem.

If the fuses and holders all check OK, then it is on to components on the board. To determine the problem you will need to reinstall the board and measure the voltages associated with the DMD.

M13

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,800 (OBO)
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-dmd-not-lighting-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.