You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7428A074-74D2-4BA2-88A0-1D3A279CCC7E (resized).jpeg
EF45CEDF-323B-4952-8516-395B8AE46703 (resized).jpeg
DEC90FC7-17E6-4D61-8F3E-7D1E3D342EEF (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I've had my Lethal Weapon 3 for quite a while and I thought I would change the batteries out today. First, the pin worked perfectly before I started. After putting in the new batteries, it went crazy. Sporadic and continuous sounds non-stop.

I then put my old batteries back in and it worked perfectly again. I thought I remembered reading once that I could change the batteries while the game is on. I tried that. After the new batteries were installed it started going crazy again.

For the second time, I put the old batteries back in and it works perfectly.

What is the problem? The batteries have been in there at least 3 years and they can't be much good, but it will not allow me to put new batteries in. I'm using standard energizer double A batteries and putting them in correctly. Anyone else dealt with this?

#2 2 years ago

That doesn’t make much sense. They’re all energizer AA’s?

Post a picture of both. I just switched to lithium

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

I've had my Lethal Weapon 3 for quite a while and I thought I would change the batteries out today. First, the pin worked perfectly before I started. After putting in the new batteries, it went crazy. Sporadic and continuous sounds non-stop.
I then put my old batteries back in and it worked perfectly again. I thought I remembered reading once that I could change the batteries while the game is on. I tried that. After the new batteries were installed it started going crazy again.
For the second time, I put the old batteries back in and it works perfectly.
What is the problem? The batteries have been in there at least 3 years and they can't be much good, but it will not allow me to put new batteries in. I'm using standard energizer double A batteries and putting them in correctly. Anyone else dealt with this?

Here are the new batteries and the new. The old batteries are Duracell and the new batteries are energizer max.

7428A074-74D2-4BA2-88A0-1D3A279CCC7E (resized).jpeg7428A074-74D2-4BA2-88A0-1D3A279CCC7E (resized).jpegDEC90FC7-17E6-4D61-8F3E-7D1E3D342EEF (resized).jpegDEC90FC7-17E6-4D61-8F3E-7D1E3D342EEF (resized).jpegEF45CEDF-323B-4952-8516-395B8AE46703 (resized).jpegEF45CEDF-323B-4952-8516-395B8AE46703 (resized).jpeg
#4 2 years ago

The new and the old....typo

#5 2 years ago

I believe everything happens for a reason...this is a clear sign that you should install a remote battery holder (get batteries off mpu) or install nvram.
-Mike

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I believe everything happens for a reason...this is a clear sign that you should install a remote battery holder (get batteries off mpu) or install nvram.
-Mike

True, but if you go with the Lithiums they will never leak. Right now NVRAM is like $40 a chip or something crazy.

#7 2 years ago

There has to be a reason why fresh batteries are making it act strange. My concern is if I replace the battery holder or install nvram it'll make the problem occur from that point on.

#8 2 years ago

FYI -- Lithiums *do* leak and can cause significant damage. But Lithiums will last far, far longer before they do leak.

Measure the voltages between the old Duracells and new Energizers, make sure the new ones are within the 1.5V range. There have been a ton of reports of counterfeit batteries sold on ebay and Amazon during the past year or so.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

FYI -- Lithiums *do* leak and can cause significant damage. But Lithiums will last far, far longer before they do leak.
Measure the voltages between the old Duracells and new Energizers, make sure the new ones are within the 1.5V range. There have been a ton of reports of counterfeit batteries sold on ebay and Amazon during the past year or so.

Finally measured the voltages today. The existing batteries (together) measured 4.71v, the new batteries measured 4.85 v. I bought the batteries locally at a box store so they should be legit. I'm stumped, I can't imagine that small change in voltage would affect the game?

#10 2 years ago

I don't want to worry about things that could occur in the future, but what happens when I do need to install new batteries????

#11 2 years ago

With the machine's power OFF, try to put the new batteries in, turn machine ON and then set the game to any one of the setups shown on page 15 in the manual and SAVE it. Then repower the game . This will re-write the CMOS memory with know values. Then let us know what symptoms you are seeing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-battery-replacement-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.