15620848318343248342982623357069 (resized).jpg
15620848065912712318421441135224 (resized).jpg
Effect_20190702_092721 (resized).jpg
20190702_085600 (resized).jpg
20190702_085412 (resized).jpg
20190702_085440 (resized).jpg
DE SW lamp matrix (resized).png
20190623_203331 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago

Go into the single lamp test and scroll through all the single lamps. Only the one lamp showing on the DMD should be on at the time. Make note of any that come on when they should not be. Likely problem is in a row or column stuck on by a transistor in the lamp matrix.DE SW lamp matrix (resized).pngDE SW lamp matrix (resized).png

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Are you sure you don't have a missing or backwards lamp diode??

Or even a lamp diode smashed and shorting out to the lamp socket?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a DE Robocop that is starting to do this stuff. All of the feature light bulbs are of the 555 type that install in the black caps and twist into the lamps boards. Where are the diodes located on this type of set up? Are the diodes located in the back box lamp board?

Would be nice if you started your own repair thread so it can be found more easily in the future for others that have the same problem with their Robocop. Also, the issue found on this thread likely may not help find your exact problem but it may help diagnose it. Link a video to your thread from youtube if you can post there. Run the single lamps test and mark up a lamp matrix chart showing all the lamps you have issues with. Can you snap and post picture of some of those lamp boards installed in the thread as well.

#15 4 years ago

sqloud please click on 'edit' of your first post and add Star Wars in your title. It will be helpful in finding this repair thread in the future.

#18 4 years ago

The relay on the power supply is for the GI lights.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

So could it be a diode problem caused by the GI that affects the insert lighting? They share the same power supply, right?

GI (6VAC) and the insert lamps (18VDC if I recall correctly) are 2 different voltages.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Right, but from the same board. Or are they completely seperate?

2 Separate voltages, 2 separate lamp circuits. The MPU board controls the lamp matrix as to which is supposed to light the correct insert lamps at the right time.

#28 4 years ago

F7 (.5 amp) fuse is for the High Voltage for the DMD. Not related. I do see some electrolyte from a leaking capacitor that would need to be addressed, but also not related to the lamp matrix issue.

If you really had an issue with a voltage on the power supply, none of your insert lamps would be on or flashing. Your problem is either on the MPU or under the playfield (wiring, diode, socket, or connections).

Please post a picture of your MPU. I do know if you have any of the transistors in the bottom right 2 rows on the MPU having the transistor tabs touching together, it can cause these types of issues that you show in your video.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If that really is physically leaking, probably time to buy a full cap kit and just do the board right (even if caps aren't the problem with lights).

Yes, I agree a full cap kit is needed as C1, C2, C3, and C7 are the main ones that leak (ones that cause 5volt issues and eventually boot failure) and as you can see what I had boxed off the damage looks like battery corrosion. Unfortunately, most of these capacitors are very tough to get out without damaging the board.

Still, this is for boot failures, not the current insert lamp issues.
DE SW power supply (resized).pngDE SW power supply (resized).png

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I have caused a new problem now I think..... When I power up the machine, fuse f7 blows. There was a wrong fuse in there that I replaced (5A instead of 0,5A)
Now the display is off, light problems remain...[quoted image][quoted image]

Ok. Glad to see none of the transistors touching each other, but that means more digging into the lamp matrix circuit, wiring, lamp sockets and their diodes.

Can you try a 1 amp fuse in F7?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

SQLOUD, you said when you run test mode only appropriate light comes on right?

1. Does it come on full brightness by itself?
2. Are you sure no other bulbs come on even real dim?

Can you notice the same bulbs are constantly lit in attract mode? It seems the single lamp test should show up just as just as quoted above, even though are very dim.

Also, it would be good to know if you recently or in the past changed any lamp sockets? If so, it would be good to inspect to be sure the lamp socket is wired correctly with the diode and wires to the correct solder lugs.

If none of the lamp sockets were changed, it would be good to inspect those #44 lamp sockets that are stuck on to see if the lamp socket solder lugs are touching one another.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I don't have a 1 amp fuse but wouldn't that be a problem to over fuse?

Well, if the DMD was indeed working with a 5amp fuse, then 1amp fuse should be ok to try. If it blows with a 1amp now, you definately will need to rebuild the High Voltage section. Or else buy a new power supply. I do not recommend a Rottendog power supply.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I didn't even notice the c7 leakage until it was pointed out here...
Will order the parts and would it be wise to replace the bridge rectifier?

C2, C3, and C11 are more of a problem than C7 is at the moment. You can see the dark areas in the traces of the yellow boxed areas. That is the electrolyte that is traveling down the traces.
Looks to be that either C3 or C11 R4, C5, R3, R2, R7 and D4 to have been affected as well. Not sure how IC1 got affected other than by fumes from one of those capacitors near it.

I will caution again that these capacitors are tough to remove. You may want to consider sending your board to get repaired.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I believe he mentioned in his first post or two that he HAD changed some sockets AND diodes....that's why I originally went with diode in backwards, missing, wired one up wrong, or possibly another bad diode elsewhere.

This is definitely the best place to check right now. Any lamp sockets or diodes that were replaced. Were they wired correctly? Miswiring can look like a lamp matrix transistor is locked on causing others to dimly light.

Please post pictures of ones you had changed.

#50 4 years ago

During attract/game play/nor in the single lamp test mode, regular incandescent bulbs should not be acting the way you show in your video.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

On my PS the voltage at pin 6/CN4 is between 15v and 16,5v, is this normal or should it be higher ?

That is a good voltage running in attract mode. Voltage is not the issue from the power supply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lights-problem?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.