15620848318343248342982623357069 (resized).jpg
15620848065912712318421441135224 (resized).jpg
Effect_20190702_092721 (resized).jpg
20190702_085600 (resized).jpg
20190702_085412 (resized).jpg
20190702_085440 (resized).jpg
DE SW lamp matrix (resized).png
20190623_203331 (resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I don't understand the response, sorry.
My questions were:
1. If a specific light is dim (say during play) and you do a test for turning on the same light, but just that one, does it become bright or stay dim?
2. When you have in test mode with just one light on, can you look closely at other bulbs to see if any other ones (that should not be on, since you are testing one at a time) are on? Even SUPER dim.

Thank you for trying to help figure out the problem.
All insert bulbs behave the same at the same time, what is seen in the video is the behavior of al bulbs driven by CN6 and CN7 from the cpu board.
When playing and right after a game (pre attract mode) the lights show this behavior (bright, dim and flickering) when testing is diagnostics the lights are dim all the time but stay on and don't get brighter or dim.

When testing individual lights only that light is on, no other lights come on not even a little.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

During attract/game play/nor in the single lamp test mode, regular incandescent bulbs should not be acting the way you show in your video.

I was afraid of that...

#53 4 years ago

Is it ALL controlled lamps? Or a specific group of ones?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Is it ALL controlled lamps? Or a specific group of ones?

All of them behave the same at the same time.

Someone told me to replace the bridgerectifier in the backbox becouse the voltage doesn't look steady. He also suggested to replace the "big blue" capacitor. Could a bad capacitor/bridgerectifier really couse this kind of problem?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

All of them behave the same at the same time.
Someone told me to replace the bridgerectifier in the backbox becouse the voltage doesn't look steady. He also suggested to replace the "big blue" capacitor. Could a bad capacitor/bridgerectifier really couse this kind of problem?

Hopefully someone else will chime in as well, I suppose if there is electrical leakage on either, sure.

Did you try measuring voltages off boards to see what you have?

ALSO, may think about looking at back side of MPU to see how solder looks on connector pins. Maybe share pics of that.

#56 4 years ago

If board voltages are good and solder is good, you may try following wires from socket to socket looking for a bad connection/voltage loss...

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If board voltages are good and solder is good, you may try following wires from socket to socket looking for a bad connection/voltage loss...

I'm not sure about the voltage for the controlled lights, where can I measure the 18v for the lampmatrix?

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

So I disconnected the plugs c6 and c7 on the cpu board. Connected a testwire to pin 1 on c7 and testwire + diode to pin 1 on c6, connected a lamp socket to the testwire's.
The problem was most noticeable on the Star Wars letters so with this set up I tested the lamp for the letter S. The problem stayed the same.... I think the 18v from the power supply is not stable, where do I test this on the psb?
Can't find anything on that subject on pinwiki or other sources.

#59 4 years ago

Do you have a manual/schematic?

Here is a quick screenshot of the power supply pins (from PDF off of ipdb.org).

The bulb in video looks pretty bright, but maybe that's just because it is shining in camera? Did it look dimmer than it should be, in person?

#60 4 years ago

Forgot pic....

Screenshot_2019-07-11-17-48-37 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-07-11-17-48-37 (resized).png
#61 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Do you have a manual/schematic?
Here is a quick screenshot of the power supply pins (from PDF off of ipdb.org).
The bulb in video looks pretty bright, but maybe that's just because it is shining in camera? Did it look dimmer than it should be, in person?

Thank you for trying to help.

I will try to make a better video. The lights are not powered stable, they flicker and go dim when they shouldn't.
When popbumpers, slingshots or scoops are operated there is no noticeable diverance but when the outhole kicker is operated the lights, especially the "star wars" letters flicker like a campfire.
When I start a game the lights start a little bit dimmer than usual(no flickering) and when the dead star and r2d2 motor start the lights get brighter and a bit of flickering is noticeable.

#62 4 years ago

I just sat and stared at my star wars.

I DO notice in attract mode, that when the "STAR WARS" letters are lit up only 1 or 2 at a time, they are a little brighter than when they are all lit.

Also, when I play a game, I notice a slight dimming on lamps (including GI) when coils fire or I hit both flippers together, etc.

I don't know that this helps at all, just saying I noticed a little on mine.

Fyi. Mine has power supply rebuilt a few weeks ago.

I don't know if that is normal for those machines, or if I have a slight issue too to look at now. Lol.

#63 4 years ago

If I have time, I will try looking into voltages on my machine this weekend for you just for comparison.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If I have time, I will try looking into voltages on my machine this weekend for you just for comparison.

Thanks in advance.

#65 4 years ago

On my PS the voltage at pin 6/CN4 is between 15v and 16,5v, is this normal or should it be higher ?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

On my PS the voltage at pin 6/CN4 is between 15v and 16,5v, is this normal or should it be higher ?

Mine is fluctuating while in attract mode too.
A touch lower, but we could call it 15-16VDC, yes.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Mine is fluctuating while in attract mode too.
A touch lower, but we could call it 15-16VDC, yes.

Didnt think about it until after I buttoned it back up, but....that was under load in attract mode (I assume you probably measured same way). Maybe it would read closer to 18VDC without a load on board (connector unplugged), but I'm not sure.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Didnt think about it until after I buttoned it back up, but....that was under load in attract mode (I assume you probably measured same way). Maybe it would read closer to 18VDC without a load on board (connector unplugged), but I'm not sure.

I hope someone can confirm...

#69 4 years ago

I noticed that all lights have the same problem but all the letters in "star wars" on the playfield are much more affected..

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

That is a good voltage running in attract mode. Voltage is not the issue from the power supply.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lights-problem/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.