15620848318343248342982623357069 (resized).jpg
15620848065912712318421441135224 (resized).jpg
Effect_20190702_092721 (resized).jpg
20190702_085600 (resized).jpg
20190702_085412 (resized).jpg
20190702_085440 (resized).jpg
DE SW lamp matrix (resized).png
20190623_203331 (resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hello,
I have a DE SW machine that I own for about twenty years now. The game has not been used for sixteen years because I didn't have the room. Last month I finally got the room and time to give it some TLC. Replaced a lot of fuse clips, a few lamps and lamp diodes. Everything is working fine, except for a dimming problem with all lights.
When using the test function there is no problem but when playing a game it looks like there is a loose connection (the lamps flicker a bit) but all connectors are fine. In attract mode just after a game is played it looks like the SW letters on the bottom of the play field don't get enough power, they dim to almost completely off.
Could you please help me trouble shoot to fix this irritating problem.
Thanks!

I am new to Pinside but I used Google and the search function for this forum. So if I did something wrong please let me know and I'll correct it.
20190623_203331 (resized).jpg20190623_203331 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

well the first thing of course is to reseat all of your light connectors, check the bulb sockets, give them a reseat....if that fails then possible the bridge rectifier....that should about do it...

#3 4 years ago

Startek2 thanks for your fast reply. Can I check the bridge rectifier with a multimeter? , I don't think the connectors or bulb sockets are the problem because all lamps have the same problem simultaneously.

#4 4 years ago

I hope you’re using LEDs since all Data East games have an issue with the GI circuit overheating and literally melting the connector. Poor design on their part

#5 4 years ago

Look closely at the square plugs on the power supply board, especially pin 12. (A corner pin) If it shows evidence of overheating, you will need to replace both the male and female sides of the connection.

#6 4 years ago

There is no evidence of overheating on any of the connectors and I'm not using LED's (except for three flashers in the backbox)

#7 4 years ago

I hope this short video will clarify the problem

#8 4 years ago

Bump. That’s an interesting issue

#9 4 years ago

Go into the single lamp test and scroll through all the single lamps. Only the one lamp showing on the DMD should be on at the time. Make note of any that come on when they should not be. Likely problem is in a row or column stuck on by a transistor in the lamp matrix.DE SW lamp matrix (resized).pngDE SW lamp matrix (resized).png

#10 4 years ago

Following this.

#11 4 years ago

Are you sure you don't have a missing or backwards lamp diode??

Or potentially bad one...

If one diode is messed up, it will most likely affect other lamps in that row/column.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Or even a lamp diode smashed and shorting out to the lamp socket?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If one diode is messed up, it will most likely affect other lamps in that row/column.

I have a DE Robocop that is starting to do this stuff. All of the feature light bulbs are of the 555 type that install in the black caps and twist into the lamps boards. Where are the diodes located on this type of set up? Are the diodes located in the back box lamp board?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a DE Robocop that is starting to do this stuff. All of the feature light bulbs are of the 555 type that install in the black caps and twist into the lamps boards. Where are the diodes located on this type of set up? Are the diodes located in the back box lamp board?

Would be nice if you started your own repair thread so it can be found more easily in the future for others that have the same problem with their Robocop. Also, the issue found on this thread likely may not help find your exact problem but it may help diagnose it. Link a video to your thread from youtube if you can post there. Run the single lamps test and mark up a lamp matrix chart showing all the lamps you have issues with. Can you snap and post picture of some of those lamp boards installed in the thread as well.

#15 4 years ago

sqloud please click on 'edit' of your first post and add Star Wars in your title. It will be helpful in finding this repair thread in the future.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Hello,
Replaced a lot of fuse clips, a few lamps and lamp diodes. Everything is working fine, except for a dimming problem with all lights.

Quoted from pacmanretro:

I'd start with all the lamps and diodes that you replaced. Double check connections/diodes.

#17 4 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will do the single light check tomorrow.
Could the relay on the powerboard cause a problem like this? When the game ends and the end animation is over (r2d2 getting pulled apart) I hear it click and the lights seem to get more power.
A have another video during gameplay

#18 4 years ago

The relay on the power supply is for the GI lights.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Would be nice if you started your own repair thread so it can be found more easily in the future for others that have the same problem with their Robocop. Also, the issue found on this thread likely may not help find your exact problem but it may help diagnose it. Link a video to your thread from youtube if you can post there. Run the single lamps test and mark up a lamp matrix chart showing all the lamps you have issues with. Can you snap and post picture of some of those lamp boards installed in the thread as well.

Sorry. I did not mean to offend with my question about diodes location. This thread looked like where the knowledge is at.

By and large, the Robocop thread is a mostly dead thread. Of the last 30 posts, 15 have been me mostly talking to myself.

When I come up with a repair, I'll put to the Robocop thread for all to see.

#20 4 years ago

The relay on the power supply is for the GI lights.

So could it be a diode problem caused by the GI that affects the insert lighting? They share the same power supply, right?

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

So could it be a diode problem caused by the GI that affects the insert lighting? They share the same power supply, right?

GI (6VAC) and the insert lamps (18VDC if I recall correctly) are 2 different voltages.

#22 4 years ago

GI (6VAC) and the insert lamps (18VDC if I recall correctly) are 2 different voltages.

Right, but from the same board. Or are they completely seperate?

#23 4 years ago

Also wouldn't hurt to check power supply over. Are voltages okay? Do you physically see any buldging/leaking capacitors? If connectors are tight and clean, how does the solder look on the back of the power supply board on the connectors?

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Also wouldn't hurt to check power supply over. Are voltages okay? Do you physically see any buldging/leaking capacitors? If connectors are tight and clean, how does the solder look on the back of the power supply board on the connectors?

Will also check that tomorrow and post pictures of the board.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Right, but from the same board. Or are they completely seperate?

2 Separate voltages, 2 separate lamp circuits. The MPU board controls the lamp matrix as to which is supposed to light the correct insert lamps at the right time.

#26 4 years ago

So I have removed the power board to give it another inspection, all seems fine.
Did the lamp check from diagnostics, all checks out. Only the light that should go on did go on.

20190702_085600 (resized).jpg20190702_085600 (resized).jpg20190702_085412 (resized).jpg20190702_085412 (resized).jpg20190702_085440 (resized).jpg20190702_085440 (resized).jpg
#27 4 years ago

I'm not near schematics right now, but how does the solder look on that 3rd pin down that goes to the fuse clip (F7 fuse to ground I believe)? Not 100 percent what that is used for, but solder joint on pin looks odd in picture...could just be pic though.
Effect_20190702_092721 (resized).jpgEffect_20190702_092721 (resized).jpg

#28 4 years ago

F7 (.5 amp) fuse is for the High Voltage for the DMD. Not related. I do see some electrolyte from a leaking capacitor that would need to be addressed, but also not related to the lamp matrix issue.

If you really had an issue with a voltage on the power supply, none of your insert lamps would be on or flashing. Your problem is either on the MPU or under the playfield (wiring, diode, socket, or connections).

Please post a picture of your MPU. I do know if you have any of the transistors in the bottom right 2 rows on the MPU having the transistor tabs touching together, it can cause these types of issues that you show in your video.

#29 4 years ago

F7 (.5 amp) fuse is for the High Voltage for the DMD. Not related. I do see some electrolyte from a leaking capacitor that would need to be addressed, but also not related to the lamp matrix issue.
If you really had an issue with a voltage on the power supply, none of your insert lamps would be on or flashing. Your problem is either on the MPU or under the playfield (wiring, diode, socket, or connections).
Please post a picture of your MPU. I do know if you have any of the transistors in the bottom right 2 rows on the MPU having the transistor tabs touching together, it can cause these types of issues that you show in your video.

Good extra info. I didn't think about tabs touching causing this.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that solder thing I noticed...
probably still good to double check the solder joint while it's out even if not related.

SQLOUD, you said when you run test mode only appropriate light comes on right?

1. Does it come on full brightness by itself?
2. Are you sure no other bulbs come on even real dim?

#30 4 years ago

If you really had an issue with a voltage on the power supply, none of your insert lamps would be on or flashing.

What if supply was leaky/weak and was being drawn down too much when under heavier load, causing some dimming. That was one of my thoughts, if single comes on full bright with no other incorrect bulbs lighting up dim...

Capacitor leak you mentioned, I hadn't noticed. Were you talking about that stain near heatsink at C7?

If that really is physically leaking, probably time to buy a full cap kit and just do the board right (even if caps aren't the problem with lights).

#31 4 years ago

I have caused a new problem now I think..... When I power up the machine, fuse f7 blows. There was a wrong fuse in there that I replaced (5A instead of 0,5A)
Now the display is off, light problems remain...

15620848065912712318421441135224 (resized).jpg15620848065912712318421441135224 (resized).jpg15620848318343248342982623357069 (resized).jpg15620848318343248342982623357069 (resized).jpg
#32 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

If that really is physically leaking, probably time to buy a full cap kit and just do the board right (even if caps aren't the problem with lights).

Yes, I agree a full cap kit is needed as C1, C2, C3, and C7 are the main ones that leak (ones that cause 5volt issues and eventually boot failure) and as you can see what I had boxed off the damage looks like battery corrosion. Unfortunately, most of these capacitors are very tough to get out without damaging the board.

Still, this is for boot failures, not the current insert lamp issues.
DE SW power supply (resized).pngDE SW power supply (resized).png

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I have caused a new problem now I think..... When I power up the machine, fuse f7 blows. There was a wrong fuse in there that I replaced (5A instead of 0,5A)
Now the display is off, light problems remain...[quoted image][quoted image]

Ok. Glad to see none of the transistors touching each other, but that means more digging into the lamp matrix circuit, wiring, lamp sockets and their diodes.

Can you try a 1 amp fuse in F7?

#34 4 years ago

I didn't even notice the c7 leakage until it was pointed out here...
Will order the parts and would it be wise to replace the bridge rectifier?

#35 4 years ago

Ok. Glad to see none of the transistors touching each other, but that means more digging into the lamp matrix circuit, wiring, lamp sockets and their diodes.
Can you try a 1 amp fuse in F7?

I don't have a 1 amp fuse but wouldn't that be a problem to over fuse?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

SQLOUD, you said when you run test mode only appropriate light comes on right?

1. Does it come on full brightness by itself?
2. Are you sure no other bulbs come on even real dim?

Can you notice the same bulbs are constantly lit in attract mode? It seems the single lamp test should show up just as just as quoted above, even though are very dim.

Also, it would be good to know if you recently or in the past changed any lamp sockets? If so, it would be good to inspect to be sure the lamp socket is wired correctly with the diode and wires to the correct solder lugs.

If none of the lamp sockets were changed, it would be good to inspect those #44 lamp sockets that are stuck on to see if the lamp socket solder lugs are touching one another.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I don't have a 1 amp fuse but wouldn't that be a problem to over fuse?

Well, if the DMD was indeed working with a 5amp fuse, then 1amp fuse should be ok to try. If it blows with a 1amp now, you definately will need to rebuild the High Voltage section. Or else buy a new power supply. I do not recommend a Rottendog power supply.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

I didn't even notice the c7 leakage until it was pointed out here...
Will order the parts and would it be wise to replace the bridge rectifier?

C2, C3, and C11 are more of a problem than C7 is at the moment. You can see the dark areas in the traces of the yellow boxed areas. That is the electrolyte that is traveling down the traces.
Looks to be that either C3 or C11 R4, C5, R3, R2, R7 and D4 to have been affected as well. Not sure how IC1 got affected other than by fumes from one of those capacitors near it.

I will caution again that these capacitors are tough to remove. You may want to consider sending your board to get repaired.

#39 4 years ago

I honestly wondered about F7 value! I noticed it looked awful thick to be only 0.5 Amp. But, since it said slow blow, I thought maybe that was why.

When you replaced F7, you replaced it with the correct 0.5 Slo-Blo not a regular/fast blow type right?

#40 4 years ago

Ohh, and don't make yourself feel like you "created a new problem" with that fuse...more like you may have found something else. It's so much better to find and fix a problem than to wait until something more important gets damaged or burns up, for sure!

#41 4 years ago

Also, it would be good to know if you recently or in the past changed any lamp sockets? If so, it would be good to inspect to be sure the lamp socket is wired correctly with the diode and wires to the correct solder lugs

I believe he mentioned in his first post or two that he HAD changed some sockets AND diodes....that's why I originally went with diode in backwards, missing, wired one up wrong, or possibly another bad diode elsewhere.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I believe he mentioned in his first post or two that he HAD changed some sockets AND diodes....that's why I originally went with diode in backwards, missing, wired one up wrong, or possibly another bad diode elsewhere.

This is definitely the best place to check right now. Any lamp sockets or diodes that were replaced. Were they wired correctly? Miswiring can look like a lamp matrix transistor is locked on causing others to dimly light.

Please post pictures of ones you had changed.

#43 4 years ago

This is definitely the best place to check right now. Any lamp sockets or diodes that were replaced. Were they wired correctly? Miswiring can look like a lamp matrix transistor is locked on causing others to dimly light.
Please post pictures of ones you had changed.

Here are the two diodes I replaced

20190704_114030 (resized).jpg20190704_114030 (resized).jpg20190704_114226 (resized).jpg20190704_114226 (resized).jpg
#44 4 years ago

The f7 fuse problem was a simple one, did not use a SB fuse. SB fuse 0,5 A installed and al works again.
Replaced all caps on the powerboard.

The original problem still remains.... Could this be a software or PIA problem?

#45 4 years ago

The diode in top pic doesn't look soldered well; Or is it just camera angle?

I notice fair amount of rust/oxidation on those sockets....is it possible that you have corrosion inside a number of sockets causing them to be dim?

#46 4 years ago

Maybe you already answered these, but when you light just one lamp, does it come on full brightness? Or same dim?

Did you double check that no other light comes on even super dim when lighting just one?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

The diode in top pic doesn't look soldered well; Or is it just camera angle?
I notice fair amount of rust/oxidation on those sockets....is it possible that you have corrosion inside a number of sockets causing them to be dim?

A vew sockets have some rust but the problem is with all insert lighting including the popbumpers.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Maybe you already answered these, but when you light just one lamp, does it come on full brightness? Or same dim?
Did you double check that no other light comes on even super dim when lighting just one?

Wen testing in diagnostics the lights are less bright than during gameplay, right?

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from sqloud:

Wen testing in diagnostics the lights are less bright than during gameplay, right?

I don't understand the response, sorry.

My questions were:

1. If a specific light is dim (say during play) and you do a test for turning on the same light, but just that one, does it become bright or stay dim?

2. When you have in test mode with just one light on, can you look closely at other bulbs to see if any other ones (that should not be on, since you are testing one at a time) are on? Even SUPER dim.

#50 4 years ago

During attract/game play/nor in the single lamp test mode, regular incandescent bulbs should not be acting the way you show in your video.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lights-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.