(Topic ID: 244583)

Data East Lethal Weapon 3 - blown TIP36c, burned resistor...

By pb456

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4688 (resized).jpeg
Data_East_Playfield_Power_Board_520-5021-00-Reduced.pdf (PDF preview)
Data_East_CPU_520-5003-03-SHEET-3-of-4.pdf (PDF preview)
Data_East_Lethal_Weapon_3_Tech_Chart.pdf (PDF preview)
PPB section Q3 (resized).png
PSU section Q13 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm looking for some guidance here - have a Lethal Weapon 3 that was working, came back a week later, it's dead.

Power-on, garbage on DMD.

Looked inside backbox, reconnected plugs on the PSU board, still the same - closer examination of the Playfield Power Board - and I saw a very crispy resistor (220 ohm, 1/4 watt) @ R17.

All TIP36c transistors from heatsink to ground strap had continuity.

Pulled the Playfield Power Board (PPB), examined the diode in that circuit, once desoldered, and the diode @ D19 (1N4004) tested fine. Hooked this diode up to my semiconductor tester and it looked to be a little worn out but not bad.

Pulled the TIP36C @ Q3 and it was deader than a doornail. Failed semiconductor tester altogether.

I see that this circuit has J8-7 listed as output, and J8-6 listed as input.

Looking at the LW3 tech chart, it shows that J8-7 on the PPB is connected to coil 22, "Laser Kick", and does show Q3 on the PPB (the TIP36C that was toast) and Q13 on the CPU board.

I need to get back to the machine to test Q13 (TIP 122), but I'm a little confused.

My gut tells me that this resistor & Q3 got roached by a locked-on coil.

The only fuse I found blown was the 7A (250V, SB) on the PSU board (NOT PPB), and the coil looks to draw 50V (per CPU schematic and Tech Chart), which leads me to believe that if the coil were locked-on, it would pop fuse 5 on the PPB (5A, 250V, SB).

I'm getting lost here - I'm ok with pulling parts and component testing, but I'm not seeing the logical path as to why F2 on the PSU board cooked, and why F5 on the PPB did not.

Data_East_CPU_520-5003-03-SHEET-3-of-4.pdfData_East_CPU_520-5003-03-SHEET-3-of-4.pdfData_East_Lethal_Weapon_3_Tech_Chart.pdfData_East_Lethal_Weapon_3_Tech_Chart.pdfData_East_Playfield_Power_Board_520-5021-00-Reduced.pdfData_East_Playfield_Power_Board_520-5021-00-Reduced.pdfPPB section Q3 (resized).pngPPB section Q3 (resized).pngPSU section Q13 (resized).pngPSU section Q13 (resized).png
1 month later
#2 4 years ago

So - turns out the "Laser kick" solenoid was burned up, locked on, and also the bridge rectifier on the PSU was toast. In case there are others out there with similar issues. What came first? Probably the bad bridge rectifier.

Replace your BR or PSU on DE games is my advice to anyone having trouble with theirs like I did.

5 months later
#5 4 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

Not exactly what you need perhaps - but this does show you how to test MosFETs.

Sorry - this notification didn't pick up like I would have expected it would. I did replace the power supply on mine and the kickback coil, and I did do work on the driver board. Good luck! Mahoyvan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,800 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lethal-weapon-3-blown-tip36c-burned-resistor?tu=pb456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.