New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 270740)

Data East Leon's test Rom Issues

By the96stang

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ChrisHibler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

address_decoding.png

#1 4 months ago

I am currently using Leon's test rom on my data east mpu. It makes everything passes in section one where I verify the 6802 and ram but I run into a problem on the PIA test.

The PIA test never starts. The PIA light never flashes, and there is no movement from the test led i have set up. What would cause this test not to initiate?

#2 4 months ago

following....

#3 4 months ago

Was there battery damage on the board? If so that could explain your PIA issues.

#4 4 months ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Was there battery damage on the board? If so that could explain your PIA issues.

Negative. Board is clean as a whistle. Im just an idiot who installed a PIA backwards and blew something up.

#5 4 months ago

<disclaimer>The following information is my understanding and provided for the purpose of trying to assist you in finding your problem. It is not intended to be taken as definitive and final.</disclaimer>

In order for software to execute you need a functioning CPU, data bus, address bus and stable storage that holds the software executable code. Access to devices requires correctly functioning address decoding. Devices (or ICs) are enabled by the address decoding ICs. This decoding can be accomplished by several different ICs.

If the Leon software correctly passes the RAM test then the RAM address decoding IC (8C) probably works. It's a good bet that ROM address decoding ICs are working too (since the software is executing).

Each PIA is located on the address bus and those addresses are decoded by the 74LS138 (8D). Note that is NOT the only IC involved in address decoding. It's just an example of one of the decoders. Please consult sheet 1 of 4 of the CPU schematic. Address decoding is located in the top right section of the sheet. The physical ICs are co-located on the board. In this case the software might still be executing but not able to access the PIAs as they aren't selected because their address is not correctly decoded (and therefore the CS line not correctly enabled).

I would start my search in the address decoding section if you know you have a good ROM, RAM and CPU.

address_decoding.png
    #6 4 months ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Negative. Board is clean as a whistle. Im just an idiot who installed a PIA backwards and blew something up.

Ok. I ran into an issue where battery damage ate through a trace for the reset line going to the PIA chips. If there was battery damage or if someone removing a chip severed that trace then that could contribute.

#7 4 months ago

Do you happen to remember what trace?

#8 4 months ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Do you happen to remember what trace?

If I recall it ran under the crystal and to all the PIA chips. The PIA chips on that board didn’t work right without being reset. Sometimes prior work or people pulling out chips with a screwdriver will cut traces too.

#9 4 months ago

I guess I don’t understand what you are saying the96stang.

The PIA test starts immediately. For DE, grounding pin 6 of the processor should start RAM test. If successful then PIA test resumes.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 19.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Test item Pre-order!
    Pinside Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside