(Topic ID: 257925)

Data East Laser War Problem: switch matrix or other?

By ArcadeRaid

57 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 days ago by Roverius
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 57 days ago

Hello all,

I wanted to throw this one out to the community to see if someone with more experience can save me time by keeping me from barking up the wrong tree.

BACKGROUND:
I own a Stern Flight 2000 and have worked on that but have done very little on a Data East machine. I'm still new to fixing these.

The Laser War is my father's machine and I'm trying to fix this problem for him. He has owned the machine for many years and it has been relatively trouble free.

A few months back I was over there playing and the yellow pop-bumper locked on. I figured the diode blew and took the transistor with it locking it in the on state. I returned with parts and replaced the diode on the bumper and the TIP 102 transistor on the board. When I fired it up everything worked great and we were back in business. I played a few games and everything seemed fine.

When I returned recently I played a few games and all worked well until suddenly the game went nuts. Many switches were activating two or even three results. The game would tilt or or think I had hit ramps etc, simply by going though one lane at the top. I should note that the game was not played at all between visits.

At first blush based on my limited experience I was thinking a problem with the switch matrix and perhaps another failed diode that was the same age as the other one that failed. But, given that I just swapped out parts that were part of the same drive line of switches I also suspect I either did something wrong or another part may have been fried when the original diode blew. I'm not sure why it would not have shown up immediately though. I also do not know enough about these data east boards and how they behave when parts fail.

I think pretty much every switch in drive column 6, (switches 41-48) are causing problems. The yellow pop bumper is right in the middle of that at switch #44. Activating switches in that column causes other switches (mostly within the same row as the switch) to be activated as well.

Any thoughts? Is this just an unrelated bad diode in the same column or more likely to be related to the issue I was having with the yellow pop bumper.

Thank you ever so much for any thoughts you may have.

#2 57 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I think pretty much every switch in drive column 6, (switches 41-48) are causing problems. The yellow pop bumper is right in the middle of that at switch #44. Activating switches in that column causes other switches (mostly within the same row as the switch) to be activated as well

I would start testing the diodes with a meter on those switches in that row its possible a diode must have failed/shorted

#3 57 days ago

Yeah, that would be my next step. Just wondering if someone thinks there is another problem that could cause this that I should be looking at too.

1 week later
#4 49 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Yeah, that would be my next step. Just wondering if someone thinks there is another problem that could cause this that I should be looking at too.

Did you test that diode? If problem is still there then try each switch in that row, in switch test just activate each switch one at a time and if one of those switches activates multiple switches.That switch is suspect and would need to be tested first test the diode with meter,Remember a bad/faulty/shorted diode can cause the problems you are having.Start with switches 41 through 48

#5 49 days ago

I had a few minutes to look at it on Christmas. I did not find any bad diodes anywhere. I think pretty much every switch in that column activates multiple switches. I have heard diodes can test okay but still be bad. I have a pack of 100 diodes so I may just replace them all and see what happens. They are 33 years old now. There are a couple that are going to be a real pain to get at though!

1 week later
#6 37 days ago

Hello,

I have noticed your problem with the switches. I do have kind of the same problem. Closing 1 switch on a column, reports all switches in that column closed.
It seems for me that allmost all of them reports closed when i connect the CN10.
So, did you have any improvement with replacing the diodes.

Regards,
-Roverius

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lancaster, PA
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinfarmer Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 9.00
$ 248.85
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 295.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
liorillusion
$ 12.00
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside