(Topic ID: 230886)

dmd

By dwightheinink

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2018-12-06 13_17_12-Data east Large DMD Driver Maverick _ Restoration questions _ Pinside.com - Inte (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

-

#2 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the ColorDMD and DMD controller board connected?
    Do you mean all the dots stay on solid white on the ColorDMD?
    Can you press the far right menu button and snap a picture of what shows on the screen?

Make sure the ColorDMD is set for WS (Whitestar) in the ColorDMD menu.

#3 5 years ago

Since Maverick is not yet colorized, it should have been shipped as a Sigma display, which normally is set for white. You can change the single color to any of the 97 color hues you want it to be, just scroll through the menu settings. Not sure if you mean the animations are displaying correct, but are in white instead of orange?

#4 5 years ago

-

#5 5 years ago

Currently it does not even look like your game is booting up since I do not see any of the controlled lamps flashing. Is the 5 volt LED, blanking LED, or PIA LED currently lit on the mpu board?

Can you measure 5v, 12v and -12v on the power supply?

#6 5 years ago

-

#7 5 years ago

Still need to see a picture of the ColorDMD and DMD controller board all connected.

#8 5 years ago

Dmod have a suggestion while waiting on a picture?

#9 5 years ago

I think there’s a processor on the display board and there should be a splash screen generated by the display board at boot time. If you’re not getting anything at all the board may not be booting.

The ColorDMD should only generate a fully filled screen if the display board is sending clock and row strobes but the data line is stuck high.

#10 5 years ago

-

#11 5 years ago

That does not look like the ColorDMD brand DMD.

I see you have the ribbon cable plugged in wrong at the MPU board. Red strip will indicate pin 1, but you have it on pin 25/26. Flip the cable around and see what happens.

2018-12-06 13_17_12-Data east Large DMD Driver Maverick _ Restoration questions _ Pinside.com - Inte (resized).png2018-12-06 13_17_12-Data east Large DMD Driver Maverick _ Restoration questions _ Pinside.com - Inte (resized).png

#12 5 years ago

-

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from dwightheinink:

When I turn the cable around nothing happend... the screen stays at ‘pinball sp’

This looks like progress at least. I am not familiar with the Pinballsp product at all. You probably need to inquire in that product thread or contact the maker of the DMD.

#14 5 years ago

-

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from dwightheinink:

He told me if the screen shows pinball sp, it is wording fine.

Technically total bullshit ! A working output does not proof that the input pins are working properly.

Quoted from Dmod:

the display board is sending clock and row strobes but the data line is stuck high.

That is technically absolutely right and I would also bet there is a problem in the data line. Either in the DMD controller or on the pinballSP board. You can verify it with a logic analyzer or simply connect a 128x32 DMD if you have one at hand. I used a Stern 5V LED DMD to see the output of the controller when I repaired mine.

#16 5 years ago

-

#17 5 years ago

Yes that’s the PinballSP DMDMK66, not a ColorDMD product. It’s still an excellent ColorDMD alternative. Send me a PM and I will help you.

#18 5 years ago

Crash Thank you. I've send you a personal message.

#19 5 years ago

-

#20 5 years ago

The signals run through a 74HCT240 (U30) before they go to the dmd connector.
    Maybe this got damaged. Check wether the signal is pulsing on pin 2 (SDATA)

#21 5 years ago

was the controller working before you added the aftermarket dmd?

#22 5 years ago

-

#23 5 years ago

A oscilloscope would be nice but if you measure pin11 of the dmd output it should currently be constantly high and therefore you should read 5V using a multimeter. Check wether pin2 on U30 shows something different.

#24 5 years ago

-

#25 5 years ago

O.K. Do you have a possibility to test or reprogram the eproms ?

#26 5 years ago

-

#27 5 years ago

Without proper tools it is hard to guess remotely. Maybe RAM ?
    You should send it to someone who is able to repair it.

#28 5 years ago

-

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-large-dmd-driver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.