(Topic ID: 302295)

Data East LAH DMD Problem

By XKlendathu

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211022_102211 (resized).jpg
    20211022_102224 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hey,

I recently bought a Last Action Hero pinball Machine. Unfornately the Machine is Not working well and im really frustrated after many Hours. The seller did false advertising. So im hoping you guys can help me fixing it.

I had Problems with the Slingshot Coils. So i changed some bad connectors. The Dmd worked fine all the time. After reassembling the Slingshots Are working, but the DMD does not Start up anymore.

In a bad Moment i unfornately swapped the connectors on CN1 and CN2 on the CPU and startet the Machine up. I fixed this afterwards. I cant find on the Manuals Page 70 what they do.

The Voltage on the DMD Display Board is 4.9V.
    The Voltage on the DMD seems ok :

1 - 113V
    2 - 92 V
    3 - x
    4 - Yellow GND
    5- Black GND
    6 - 4,99 V
    7 - 12,2 V
    8 - 69,1 V

I swapped the connector between CPU and Display Board and the connector from DMD to Board.
    I also changed the Fuse F7. I dont know what to do next and im really frustrated. The Dmd Shows nothing on startup.

Can anyone help me and guide what to test next?

Thanks in advance. King Regards.

#2 2 years ago

Jiggle the 5v connector on the display driver. Common fail point on data east

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for Your help. I tested it but it does Not change anything. I tested on the Board directly and there are also 4.9V.

So its still Not working.

#4 2 years ago

Is there no one with additional hints?

#5 2 years ago

Also try reseating the connector CN5 on the power supply board. (with the power off to the game, of course)

Make sure you're seating the ribbon cables correctly too, that they aren't mis-aligned by a row, reversed, or anything like that.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from XKlendathu:

1 - 113V
    2 - 92 V

I recently ran into this situation. These high voltages are good for when the DMD is not connected, so the power supply did not detect a load on pin 2 even though you may have a DMD connected. So very likely you have a DMD with a power connector not making connection on the PCB itself. Wedge some tightly folded paper under the power connector. This seems like a common problem on Cherry DMD's like this one pictured where you see very few visible parts on the back of the DMD.

Once the power supply detects a load on pin 2, you will have right around -111V, for a difference of 12V between pins 1 and 2. Then the DMD will come alive, assuming it is good.
    20211022_102211 (resized).jpg20211022_102211 (resized).jpg20211022_102224 (resized).jpg20211022_102224 (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #7 2 years ago

Did you give it a try yet?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lah-dmd-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.