Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by maveric18
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Good evening fellow pinhead. I have a DE Jurassic Park that works great with the exception of the right lower flipper. The flipper will work on occasion but will either not work when I start a game or will barely start coming up and if I hold the flipper button may start working for a little while. I replaced the coil and EOS along with the flipper button switch making sure Ll contacts are closed when they should be closed and open when they need to be open. This is driving me crazy? Where should I start my checks?

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from maveric18:

Good evening fellow pinhead. I have a DE Jurassic Park that works great with the exception of the right lower flipper. The flipper will work on occasion but will either not work when I start a game or will barely start coming up and if I hold the flipper button may start working for a little while. I replaced the coil and EOS along with the flipper button switch making sure Ll contacts are closed when they should be closed and open when they need to be open. This is driving me crazy? Where should I start my checks?

Have you taken a look at the fuse clips on the flipper board in the cabinet? How does it function in test? Anything inhibiting the switch for the flipper button on the inside of the cabinet from activating consistently?

#3 1 year ago

I have looked for broken fuse clips and cracked solder joints on the flipper board and dont see anything wrong. The right flipper button doesn't seem to be inhibited by anything even when the PF is down.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from maveric18:

There is a (hard to find) technical service bulletin about this. The EOS switches are wrong / weak and need to be changed with upgraded ones. Do this, jump your EOS switches with a jumper wire and I bet they will work 100% of the time. We had to do the same thing for my neighbors before swapping eos with upgraded model.

#5 1 year ago

Jurassic Park flippers... even seasoned repair technicians don't find these easy.

Reliable operation of these flippers depends REALLY STRONGLY on the End of Stroke switch. Those contacts have to be really tight, I mean insanely tight, tight enough that they really really really make good connection.

That's why the above advice about using some alligator clips and jumpering them closed is the quick and dirty get it working option.

Brand new End of Stroke switches may need further adjustment, so even if you think you've got the new End of Stroke correct, try making sure that those contacts are really tight, and properly adjusted.

It's also common to need to clean the End of Stroke contacts (and the flipper button contacts) with alcohol to make sure that they are making good connection.

However, There are two other absolutely critical parts. The rubber pad that the crank arm rests on when the flipper is at rest (not activated) was originally fairly soft. If it is worn through to the metal a harder rubber replacement is available, but the ones I bought recently didn't fit easily onto the flipper base plate. It took some work getting the part to allow the flipper to return to the proper resting position.

So, the rubber is important.

The next piece that is really no fun at all is the red cap that activates the End of Stroke Switch. This needs to be replaced if it is worn or loose. Reliable operation of the End of Stroke switch depends upon it!

Finally, the fuse holders on the TYFFASI flipper board are... poor. A fuse that isn't making perfect really snug connection can starve your flipper power, causing intermittent operation.

The flipper board may also need to be updated, check out the pinwiki for details.

This is the wiki section on Data East Flipper problems:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Flipper_Issues

Do what the poster above says about jumpering the End of Stroke switch contacts together, and if that makes everything work with great flipper power, you KNOW that the work you'll need to do is all about the End of Stroke switch.

Let us know what you find!

#6 1 year ago

will look forward to getting home and trying this. will report back tonight

#7 1 year ago

and just to be clear, if i keep the EOS closed tight, the flipper should work? doesnt it need to open at some point to work correctly?

#8 1 year ago

The idea for the TYFFASI board was that you would have a single coil, instead of two different windings of different sized wire on one core.

The board will for a certain number of milliseconds apply full power, then switch to a much lower holding voltage automatically.

The End of Stroke switch restores full power when you are holding the flipper bat in the up position and a fast moving ball knocks it downward.

So when you bypass the EOS switch, you'll lose that function, where it will keep the flipper bat upward when the flipper button is pushed, even when a ball knocks it down.

You wouldn't want to leave it like that, the flippers are how you control the game, and they need to be right!

But it restores flipper operation, and definitely confirms that the troublesome End of Stroke or hold circuits on the board are your problem.

#9 1 year ago

I held the EOS closed and still have the same issue in that the flipper will work for maybe a game ot just a couple of balls and then it will just drop out and quit working. My guess is the transistors on the flipper board are flaking out

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from maveric18:

I held the EOS closed and still have the same issue in that the flipper will work for maybe a game ot just a couple of balls and then it will just drop out and quit working. My guess is the transistors on the flipper board are flaking out

Did you try jumping it or just hold it closed using the contact points? If the ladder, jump from under pf.

2 weeks later
    #11 1 year ago

When you say jump it do you mean put an alligator clip to link both terminals on the end of stroke?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from maveric18:

When you say jump it do you mean put an alligator clip to link both terminals on the end of stroke?

Yup!

1 week later
    #13 1 year ago

okay. finally got around to jumping on this JP last night. i jumpered the two lead on the EOS and the right flipper played pretty well and then stopped one time. when it stops it will tremble but just wont go up. if i help it up it will hold forever

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-jurassic-park-right-lower-flipper-not-working?hl=maveric18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.