You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140418_191703652.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I'm having a problem where trough switch centre and left are activating when the flippers are pressed during switch test.

This only occurs when the switches are closed (i.e. there are balls in the trough). When they are open there is no phantom activation of the trough switches.

I have manually pressed every playfield switch on the same row and column as trough left and trough centre but they do not activate with anything other than the flippers. The activation is only seen for a split second on the DMD but it is causing problems such as 2 balls in the shooter lane and the multiball failing once a ball arrives in the shooter lane, presumably because the phantom trough switch activation is screwing up the machine logic.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like a diode isolation issue. Switch diodes don't really fail so look for one broken off. Investigate entire column/row that is offending. Gentle tug on diodes usually will find one if it is hiding broken.

#3 10 years ago

It looks like the outhole switch is missing its diode, where should it go?

IMG_20140418_191703652.jpgIMG_20140418_191703652.jpg
#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Spies:

It looks like the outhole switch is missing its diode, where should it go?

Banded side to the empty lug, the other side to the lower lug with the white/red wire.

#5 10 years ago

I will give it a go thanks.

I've been looking at the trough switches and I've noticed that they appeared to be wired a bit odd, using the centre trough switch as an example, the green wire is attached to the common lug, the white wire is soldered to the unbranded side of the diode and the other end is soldered to the NO lug.

Its my understanding that the green wire should be on the NO lug, the white on the NC and a diode between NC and COM and the banded side nearest the COM.

#6 10 years ago

Fixed the wiring on the centre trough switch but the problem persists, could the vibration when the flippers are pressed cause a break in contact in the switch itself? Do they go bad in this way?

#7 10 years ago

Not saying this is the problem here, but yes they can go bad inside the switch itself. Even though it *clicks* it still may not be changing inside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-hook-trough-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.