7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Data_East_Flipper_Board_520-5033-00_schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf (PDF preview)
untitled (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I screwed up and wired a new flipper coil incorrectly by flip flopping the wires. I fried quite a bit of stuff. I started by replacing the flipper board with a Rottendog, but those fuses blew too. I traced it down to the diodes on both flipper coils being busted at the coil. After replacing those, when I turn it on the flippers lock on and stay on until the fuse at the flipper board blows.

Also, not sure if this is related, but the Knocker is also being locked on at start up. I'm not sure if this is related because when I got the game I had the wrong coil in the flipper and missing the knocker altogether so I added the knocker the same time as the flipper so the Knocker might have been missing because it was easier for an operator to remove it altogether.

#2 7 years ago

I'd treat the knocker problem as a separate problem. One possible cause is the knocker may have a coil mounted diode that cracked from all the impacts, then it can no longer protect the driving transistor from damage.
see "Testing TIP122/102 Transistor and Down-Stream Wiring/Coil"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans

Sounds like the coil diode problem blew the replacement board before you have a chance to notice diodes were busted.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'd treat the knocker problem as a separate problem. One possible cause is the knocker may have a coil mounted diode that cracked from all the impacts, then it can no longer protect the driving transistor from damage.
see "Testing TIP122/102 Transistor and Down-Stream Wiring/Coil"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans
Sounds like the coil diode problem blew the replacement board before you have a chance to notice diodes were busted.

I agree with all of that. The Rottendog flipper board has fuses before the transistors so I was hoping the fuses caught it before the transistors got hit but I am not for sure on that. Also, do you know if the flipper coils are in the 1-8 or the 9-16 spot of the MPU board? I could not find it in the manual at all.

#4 7 years ago

Does this help?

untitled (resized).JPGuntitled (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

For the knocker check Q5 on the PPB.
Flipper coil transistors are on the SSFB (Solid State Flipper Board) inside the cabinet (left side).

This might also help:

Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdfData_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf

#6 7 years ago

One question I would have is, if the transistor on the flipper board was blown, would that cause the flipper be stuck on? Or is their a transistor on the CPU or the PPB driving the Flipper board?

#7 7 years ago

Yes....the flippers locking on is a sign that the transistors on the flipper board are burned. But no worries, hope you're handy with a soldering iron..it's easy. clip the legs off, heat them up one by one and pull them out. then use a solder sucker and heat the hole (be careful don't over do it) and suck out the solder. If it not completely clean a good trick is to use a toothpick, heat the hole and insert the toothpick and turn. Next put in the new transistor bend the legs so it stays put, heat and apply solder, then clip the legs..and Bob's your uncle.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yes....the flippers locking on is a sign that the transistors on the flipper board are burned. But no worries, hope you're handy with a soldering iron..it's easy. clip the legs off, heat them up one by one and pull them out. then use a solder sucker and heat the hole (be careful don't over do it) and suck out the solder. If it not completely clean a good trick is to use a toothpick, heat the hole and insert the toothpick and turn. Next put in the new transistor bend the legs so it stays put, heat and apply solder, then clip the legs..and Bob's your uncle.

I'm definitely good soldering, I just don't know which transistors are going to be the bad ones. I had heard that there are Transistors for the flippers on the CPU, the PPU and the Flipper board. So I guess I need to learn how to read a transistor now.

#9 7 years ago

From Clay's guide:

If the Flipper(s) Don't Work at All...
Solidstate Flipper games:
Check the flipper fuses. For solidstate flippers (Robocop and later), the fuses are on the solidstate flipper board, which is on the side of the cabinet under the playfield.
On solidstate flipper games (Robocop and later), look for damage on the solidstate flipper boards. Since these boards are located below the playfield on the left side of the cabinet wall, they are very easily damaged. A common problem is a broken or open TIP36 or TIP42 transistor on the solidstate flipper board.
PS: if I remember correctly the transistors were TIP36s....you can buy them on ebay. Check the number on the board anyway before you do. Also time to break out the manual and familiarize yourself on how to read it. You can google it and download a copy if you don't already have one.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

For the knocker check Q5 on the PPB.
Flipper coil transistors are on the SSFB (Solid State Flipper Board) inside the cabinet (left side).
This might also help:

This chart is really helping me. I need to forget what I read earlier on another site because it is just confusing me. According to this, the flippers are basically only ran on the flipper board. This makes sense with what everyone is telling me here. It looks like each coil has 3 transistors on the flipper board. So I will just research this more tonight.

Thanks guys.

#11 7 years ago

Here is a nice Flipper Board schematic....

Data_East_Flipper_Board_520-5033-00_schematic.pdfData_East_Flipper_Board_520-5033-00_schematic.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-hook-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.