• 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by timtim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 11 years ago

Hi fellow pinsiders....

I have a guy who is selling a 1992 Data East Hook that seems to be in nice shape and fully LED'd. He wants 1,200. What is a fair price for this pin?

Seems like a good deal but I've owned and sold a 1991 DE Batman that seems the same. IE small dot matrix display, sound effects, etc..... Should I stay away or pick this bad boy up? Really like the playfield, art, etc...Music is a tad annoying after awhile. Just reminds me of The Goonies. Now there is a license I could easily drop 6k on. LOL.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Hook is a VERY repetitive game, I must add. Most of the modes/awards don't offer much creativity and are mostly point values, hurry-ups, or fast scoring modes. There's no video mode that I know of. There's no official rule sheet. Spamming the ramp for millions is also a fail. I would pass.

#3 11 years ago

I'm with Crashdance....pass

#4 11 years ago

Fun game, but gets old fast. Bought mine for $500 and sold it for $700 a few years back. I'd pass at that price.

#5 11 years ago

Pass. Repetitive, terrible sound, and not very dependable.

#6 11 years ago

There's a guy on CL in SD that wanted $2500 for his Hook.

#7 11 years ago

I'd buy one again for under 1k.
Good game in a larger collection, and non-pinheads like it.
I really love the artwork and the large backglass in this game.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I'd buy one again for under 1k.

+1

#9 11 years ago

I had a chance at a nice one and passed. I have no regrets.

#11 11 years ago

I Owned one back in 1999. Paid 1,400. And sold it for 1,400.Hook has a great ramp on the machine that is Large and fun to shoot for . Simi-cool skill shot but what is best is all the drop targets. Love drop targets. If I had more room I would have kept it I suppose. If it has LED's in the G.I. sockets Data EAST you have to take all the plastics ,Ramps,you name it off the playfield from the top to get to the G.I. Pain in the a$$. Inserts are easy. If this is the case I say buy it. And use this as a selling point Down the line if you want to sell. I say Buy. $100.00 either way won't Make you or Brake you. Good Luck. Rob

#12 11 years ago

Skip, skip, skip unless it is for your kid or something that might appreciate the theme and play on the machine a little more. Definitely not a big fan of that game. It looks cool but everytime II play it I am sorely disappointed.

#13 11 years ago

Flip a coin. Hook is not a horrible pin and if you have the room its nice in a larger lineup.

#14 11 years ago

I have one, and the grand kids like it. For me, it has unbalanced scoring, but it is fun.

It's not a bad game, and at a price of $1200 or less, I'd get it.

It is sort of simple, not unlike some system 11 games.

Robert

#15 11 years ago

It was one of the first mode based machines, and maybe the first for DE, so it is basic by thereafter standards for mode based play. I think it's one of the best looking machines all in all, especially with the led ramp. I wish the rope light only illuminated during certain times though, as I recall, it's more or less flickering GI. Very nice attract show.

Play is ok for the time. Voice call outs can get annoying. I liked the music.

Check the display for gassing, as the only real economical option in the pinled one, which does look very nice.

#16 11 years ago

At the price point you quoted, I would surely pass. I bought 1 for $700 and it was the worst $700 I ever spent on a pinball machine. I sold it for what I paid, but even so, I regret ever buying it in the first place. The voice call outs are horrible. There are a lot of better games out there for the price.

Tom

#17 11 years ago

A friend has one on his route. It makes money.

#18 11 years ago

Now, if you are buying it to put it on route, then that is altogether another thing. A DE Hook deserves to be beat up on location (IMHO).

Tom

#19 11 years ago

My friend sold his Hook for $1,000 about a month ago. He sold it for what he paid. It was in good condition but not great/perfect. He got tired of the game and had a new Transformers LE arriving and needed to make room for it. Otherwise he said it was a fun game. I played it and never got pulled in but I may not have given it a fair chance. I always pound his WW pin when I am there and if I do play another pin I rush through it I guess.

#20 11 years ago

I'd pass at that price, played it recently and thought it was underwhelming...I'd pay 700-900 for it depending on condition...

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

A friend has one on his route. It makes money.

That's funny. I know of a location that has one, and they have said that it has been consistently their top earning pinball machine for years. They don't have a lot of the traditional earners, but still... Hook?

Having said that, I think it is the perfect location game. It has a theme I don't really care about, a gimmicky but fun huge ramp in the middle of it, and shallow gameplay that because of a few things can be figured out pretty quickly. I actually like it a lot and wouldn't mind adding one to my collection, but I'd much rather there be one nearby that I could go drop a couple bucks in every couple weeks.

If you decide to go for it, see if you can go a little lower. They used to sell for like $800 all day, I'm guessing $1k is more fair.

#22 11 years ago

This game gets no love.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

For me, it has unbalanced scoring, but it is fun.

Hmmmm... after all the work I'm doing on balancing Data East Star Wars (see my other thread), sounds like Hook might be a candidate for an overhaul. Problem is, I'd need access to one.

#24 11 years ago

Pass!

#25 11 years ago

It makes money for us too. So there.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hmmmm... after all the work I'm doing on balancing Data East Star Wars (see my other thread), sounds like Hook might be a candidate for an overhaul. Problem is, I'd need access to one.

Come to my house...94583.

Robert

#27 11 years ago

I just traded away my Hook. It was an entertaining game, but after 2 years it was time to go. The funny thing is whenever we had friends/family over, the women & kids loved this machine. If you have room for this game in a larger collection, it's very decent to have. If it's only 1 or 2 machines in a small collection and you are budget minded, it a good one to have. If you have more expensive tastes, it's a pass.

The person who traded for it was very happy to have it, and so was his girlfriend. It went to people who wanted it.

Everyone has different pinball tastes, and sometimes budget dictates just how much taste you can have. I happen to like some of the D.E. & Premier/Gottlieb machines because I feel I can get alot of bang for the buck on a lower pinball budget.

To me pinball is like a bottle of wine. I don't care if the wine costs 10 bucks or 150 bucks, you either like it or you don't. Either way, if you drink the whole bottle, it will have the same effect.

#28 11 years ago

I played this many years ago at Champp's(a bar). I put in 4 credits, and walked away with credits on it. Did real well on it, but eventually got bored with it. And to think this was many many years before I got back into pins. Nothing bad to say about it, but I'm not wowed over it.

#29 11 years ago

I agree with the conscience. Played Hook at a local arcade today...absolutely horrid game.....boring and the music makes you want to slit your own throat. Knowing what I know now....I wouldn't pay $400 for it. But to each their own. Glad I didn't bite the bullet on that purchase.

#30 11 years ago

Thanks for your help guys!!!

5 years later
#31 6 years ago

I have a very nice Hook it was my second pin I bought. I have $3000 into mine. I put surround sound speakers in it so when the cannons fire the floor vibrates. It is a tough machine but fun to master. If your into pirate pins this is a must have.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Thomas37:

I have a very nice Hook it was my second pin I bought. I have $3000 into mine. I put surround sound speakers in it so when the cannons fire the floor vibrates. It is a tough machine but fun to master. If your into pirate pins this is a must have.

Im sure the op was waiting these last 5 years for you to comment. Now he can make his decision, hope its still for sale

#33 6 years ago

Wow talk about raising a a dead thread

#34 6 years ago

Man I love pinside

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-hook-buy-or-skip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.