You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CN6 (resized).JPG
20170318_180756 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I finally got a break from work this evening and am trying to tackle one of the last issues with a LAH I picked up a few weeks ago. I have a row of insert lights out (CN6-1). I took a quick look for any broken or disconnected wires under the playfield and couldn't find any. Then I disconnected CN6 and used a jumper from CN6-2 pin to the CN6-1 at the connector and the inserts worked so the playfield wiring is clean. I removed the board and replaced Q72 and its associated pre driver, then did a visual inspection of pin 1 for cracked solder and it looked ok (in hindsight I should have reflowed when the board was out). Reinstalled the board and the lights still don't work.
My board work skills consist of replacing transistors, connectors and remote battery packs and that's about it so I am not sure where to proceed from here.

#2 7 years ago

Bump for morning crowd...

#3 7 years ago

I don't know how likely it is but I had a broken trace right at one of the pins and you couldn't see it because it was covered . Try a continuity test to each pin and it's related transistors etc. not sure if it will help but worth a try .

#4 7 years ago

It looks to me like D8, R47, R55 are all associated with Q72. Possibly C50 and Q81 are too but they look more like they're on the pin for CN6-1.

Pinwiki discusses a section of the lamp matrix circuitry that often has heat damage but I'm not sure if this is related to your issue.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5 7 years ago

Thanks guys...working late today but should be able to test it tomorrow, I will reporr back

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

I don't know how likely it is but I had a broken trace right at one of the pins and you couldn't see it because it was covered . Try a continuity test to each pin and it's related transistors etc. not sure if it will help but worth a try .

I confirmed continuity from pin-1 to center post of Q72...

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It looks to me like D8, R47, R55 are all associated with Q72. Possibly C50 and Q81 are too but they look more like they're on the pin for CN6-1.
Pinwiki discusses a section of the lamp matrix circuitry that often has heat damage but I'm not sure if this is related to your issue.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry

pardon my ignorance but how do I proceed to test those component? Here is a photo of my board...

20170318_180756 (resized).jpg20170318_180756 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

It will be a day or two before I can get back to you Cosmo. Quench GRUMPY barakandl can probably help.

#8 7 years ago

Checked continuity, could not find any breaks...not sure where to go from here

#9 7 years ago

Bump for afternoon crowd...

#10 7 years ago

Not an expert by any means. But you can check the resistor R47, but should probably pull one leg up off the board, then check the resistance. Should be 1k i believe. Also your continuity should be from CN6-1 to the top leg of Q72 from what i see on my R&B. Here is a snip of the cpu diagram. Hope it helps. I would check continuity from each point. For example from the resistor to the next point etc.

CN6 (resized).JPGCN6 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

The good thing about having a board issue with lamp and switch related stuff is that you can work your way through with a dmm and test the good vs the bad to see which part is not giving the same readings as the working portion. Testing resistors "effectively" within a circuit is next to 'not gonna happen'. I would check the good segment for the quantity of resistance and continuity and compare to the supposed bad segment. What is measuring off? If you find that all components are measuring the same then I would say your issue lies within the corresponding IC's. 7406 TTL chips at 11F and 12E drive the rows though a series of 2N5060 controlled rectifiers at Q81 to Q88. These also connect to the 6821 PIA at 11D.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

The good thing about having a board issue with lamp and switch related stuff is that you can work your way through with a dmm and test the good vs the bad to see which part is not giving the same readings as the working portion. Testing resistors "effectively" within a circuit is next to 'not gonna happen'. I would check the good segment for the quantity of resistance and continuity and compare to the supposed bad segment. What is measuring off? If you find that all components are measuring the same then I would say your issue lies within the corresponding IC's. 7406 TTL chips at 11F and 12E drive the rows though a series of 2N5060 controlled rectifiers at Q81 to Q88. These also connect to the 6821 PIA at 11D.

Thanks, I had to read this more than once to grasp exactly what you're saying but I understand now...I will pull the board tomorrow night and report back

#13 7 years ago

Everthing seems to check out OK...next step will be replacing the associated chips...

6 years later
#14 4 months ago

Any solution to this issue? I have the same issue on my R&B that just started tonight after a few games.

1 month later
#15 3 months ago

I had a similar issue with row 4 and the culprit was D13

Thanks for the group as I was going to replace Q75 T122 but tested fine, continuity was fine, test the diode and no continuity. I carefully piggybacked a good diode on the old one and lights work. Now for a simple board repair

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-has-on-row-of-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.