Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Gorgared
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on a GNR and am having a transistor problem. Q5 on the PPB was shorted and locking on the automatic shooter coil. So I replaced Q5, checked the diodes on the PPB and also checked the coil diode and the coil resistance. Coil and diodes checked out okay. Powered the game up with the new Q5, coil locked on again. Q5 was hot and shorted again.

So I went back further and checked Q44 and the predriver on the CPU, they tested the same as the other transistors around them making me think they are okay. Replaced Q5 again, replaced the coil and diode just for kicks. Quickly turned on the coil power and it locked on again. Checked the wiring back from the coil back to the board, it had continuity and I could find any exposed wire for it to short.

Should I just go ahead and replace Q44 with a new TIP102 and replace the predriver and try it again even though they seemed ok? Could it be the IC that drives Q44 that has gone bad? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Many times on Data "Least" if you are having coils lock on at boot up it is due to the 5v being bad from the PSU. It dies and cascades to locked on coils which you troubleshoot, but the real problem is the 5v is dead. Usually it will fry a few more transistors though. On your power supply unhook CN5 and CN6. I would pull all of the solenoid fuses also just to be extra careful to not fry anymore transistors. Power the game on and see if you have 5V and CN6 pin 7. If not replace C2 on the power supply.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from myork82:

Many times on Data "Least" if you are having coils lock on at boot up it is due to the 5v being bad from the PSU. It dies and cascades to locked on coils which you troubleshoot, but the real problem is the 5v is dead. Usually it will fry a few more transistors though. On your power supply unhook CN5 and CN6. I would pull all of the solenoid fuses also just to be extra careful to not fry anymore transistors. Power the game on and see if you have 5V and CN6 pin 7. If not replace C2 on the power supply.

I will check this tomorrow and report back. Thank you.

#4 7 years ago

So I checked voltages at cn6 pin 7. It was 5.07 volts, which seems like that should be close enough. I think I will go ahead and replace q44 and the predriver and see if that works.

#5 7 years ago

Okay, any help would be appreciated. Soldered in a new tip102 and 2n 4401 pre driver on cpu. Soldered in another tip36c on ppb board. Checked everything, diodes, resistors solder joints on ppb, didn't find anything wrong. Even swapped a known good cpu from jp into game, shooter still locks on.

I checked voltages at cn6 and cn5 on the power supply board. So 5v, 12v and 68v were all close. -96v was -92v and the -110 was -116. Is that far enough off to cause problems or is that typical?

I don't know what else to check honestly. Good coil, good diode, new transistors reflowed solder.

Any help would be great, this one has me confused.

#6 7 years ago

You've likely wired the coil wrong in relation to the diode. You'll need to replace the coil diode, and driver transistor at the same time to not keep chasing your tail...

The coil doesn't care which wire goes to which lug, it will work exactly the same. It's the diode that cares.

The diode must be wired with its cathode (banded end) to the power side of the circuit. The anode (non banded side) will get the thinner wire connected from the driver transistor.

If not wired this way, you'll get fuses blowing and driver board components being blown.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#7 7 years ago

The coil is wired correctly and the banded end is toward the larger wire, which is how every other coil on the machine is wired. I've checked, double checked, triple checked. I could cut the diode off the coil and check it again, just for kicks, but I put a new one on there before so the odds are it's okay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-guns-n-roses-transistor-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.