5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Pinball-DOOD
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

240653238.png
    128459597.png
    1275618755.png
    1926678481.png
    942664430.png

#1 5 days ago

Hey all! The auto plunge coil appears to hold every time I close the coin door and give the playfield voltage. I’m guessing I have a shorted driver maybe on the PPB board? F9 instantly blows also. Whenever I hit the flipper buttons in attract mode with the coin door open, the auto plunge will Fire also. Would appreciate any help!

#2 5 days ago

Probably a driver/transistor holding that coil.

#3 5 days ago

Yup you have a dead transistor. Check the manual for which circuit / transistor location it is and warm up the soldering iron.

DO NOT leave the game on in this condition you will blow fuses at best and torch the coil at worst.

#4 4 days ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Yup you have a dead transistor. Check the manual for which circuit / transistor location it is and warm up the soldering iron.
    DO NOT leave the game on in this condition you will blow fuses at best and torch the coil at worst.

That is what I thought! I just don’t have the schematics :-/ Do you know where I could find them online? Or maybe someone else knows the driver location?

#6 3 days ago

Is it me, or is the manual not indicating which coil leads to which driver? Haha

#7 3 days ago

Looks like it's one of the big TIP36C transistors ultimately controlling the ball launcher coil (if I'm reading this correctly). It's the one at Q5 on the PPB board on the schematic here, just follow the line from the bottom of the ball launch coil to the transistor at Q5:
    942664430.png

To confirm we're looking at the correct circuit, can you verify you have an violet/orange wire on the non-banded lug on the ball launch coil? The banded side of the coil should have a yellow/violet wire.

Note that whether or not the TIP36C is bad, there are other transistors that work in conjunction with it--a TIP122 and a smaller 2N4401 pre-driver transistor. They're located in this region of the cpu board:
    1926678481.png

I've read that if there's problem with any of the 3 transistors in one of these coils circuits, all 3 should be replaced at the same time (and the diode on the coil for good measure).

So I'd find the 2 transistors for coil 3 (I'm guessing it's coil 3 from the marking "3L" on the schematic with the coil on it, but i might be wrong ) on the CPU board and check them in addition to Q5 on the PPB board.

I'll admit these schematics are very difficult to follow, so you'll want to study then carefully to make sure we're checking the correct components.

#8 3 days ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Looks like it's one of the big TIP36C transistors ultimately controlling the ball launcher coil (if I'm reading this correctly). It's the one at Q5 on the PPB board on the schematic here, just follow the line from the bottom of the ball launch coil to the transistor at Q5:
    [quoted image]
    To confirm we're looking at the correct circuit, can you verify you have an violet/orange wire on the non-banded lug on the ball launch coil? The banded side of the coil should have a yellow/violet wire.
    Note that whether or not the TIP36C is bad, there are other transistors that work in conjunction with it--a TIP122 and a smaller 2N4401 pre-driver transistor. They're located in this region of the cpu board:
    [quoted image]
    I've read that if there's problem with any of the 3 transistors in one of these coils circuits, all 3 should be replaced at the same time (and the diode on the coil for good measure).
    So I'd find the 2 transistors for coil 3 (I'm guessing it's coil 3 from the marking "3L" on the schematic with the coil on it, but i might be wrong ) on the CPU board and check them in addition to Q5 on the PPB board.
    I'll admit these schematics are very difficult to follow, so you'll want to study then carefully to make sure we're checking the correct components.

Wow, that is a huge help! The schematics on Data East games are usually so convoluted so I appreciate the help! I think I’ll need to get the large Q 5 driver, new diode on coil, new drivers, and pre drivers. Do you happen to know the correct drivers for these? Are they on Great Planes? Thanks!

#9 3 days ago

Yep, GPE should have them all. You'll need TIP102, 2N4401, and TIP36C transistors. Also Stock up on a few spares of each just in case. Also get more fuses if you need them! I double checked the schematic, and I'm pretty sure i have it right--the ball launcher is solenoid 3. So Q5 on the PPB board (which actually fires solenoid 3/ball launcher) is driven by a TIP122 at Q44, which is pre-driven by a 2N4401 at Q36 (both of which are on the CPU board). Here's the page i found that info on, from the CPU board schematic:

1275618755.png

#10 3 days ago

You'll also want to test the resistor array for that circuit as well. It's basically a long skinny package of resistors you'll find somewhere near the transistors on the cpu. See it here on the chart, labeled RA26: 128459597.png

One of the pins at one end of the resistor array will have a marking, usually a box or something to differentiate it from the other end--that's the common pin. You set your meter to test ohms and check for approx 2.7k ohms between the common pin and each other pin on the array. Like 1 probe on common pin, other probe on pin 2--take reading. 1 probe on common pin, other probe on pin 3--take reading, etc etc. Each pair should test close to 2.7k ohms--if they don't you may have found the underlying cause of the issue.

RA26 is here on the CPU board, above and to the right of CN11. Notice the square at the top of RA26? That's indicating the common pin i mentioned above, so one probe will be on that pin for measuring all 8 resistors on the array:

240653238.png

#11 2 days ago

Wow that is a tremendous amount of help!! So could you maybe tell which parts I should order from GPE? I hate to be trouble! This is such a huge help!

#12 2 days ago

Here's the resistor array if you need one:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4610X-101-272

The transistors you might need would be: TIP102, 2N4401, and TIP36C. You can use GPE's search bar to locate them--you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. I wouldn't just go replacing all those parts just yet though--I'd try to narrow down which one(s) are the culprit first. Pinwiki has the procedures for testing each of the different transistors, and you can follow my instructions on the previous post about testing the resistor array.

#13 2 days ago

The most accurate part is (Bourns) 4609X-101-272LF. The 4610X-101-272LF can be used but the 10th pin will need to be bent or cut off.

#14 2 days ago

Terrific, sounds good! Thanks! I will get back to you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Various Other Swag
    JK Pinball
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 11.95
    $ 25.00
    Various Other Swag
    Tommy's Pins
    £ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside