• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Chet
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello,

Been doing a bunch of research, and before I go replacing all kinds of connectors and reflowing solder all over the place, I thought I'd try to narrow things down.

Just started working on my new Data East Tommy. Half of the playfield GI is not working. (Yellow+White/Yellow wiring)

I got readings for AC voltage at transformer plug, plug into PSB, and also at pins heading out of the power supply. I haven't checked the relay yet, but if the pins going out of the power supply read voltage, should I?

Here is a small piece of info that hopefully will help guide your advice:

When I tested the voltage of the wires for the working GI circuit (purple/white-purple) and the non-working circuit (yellow/white-yellow) i got slightly different results. I did this by putting my black lead on cabinet ground and red lead on wires where soldered to lamp sockets at various locations.

Working GI:

Purple wires = 6.5
White-Purple wires = 11.9

Not working GI:
Yellow wires = 6.5
White-yellow wires = 6.5

Any ideas of what order I should reflow parts or replace?

Also of note: only one circuit of GI in the backbox is working. Green/White-Green. The other 3 circuits (yellow-green+red, Yellow-Black+Red-Black, and Yellow-Red+Red-Black) are all out. Funny thing though. those three cicuits have diodes on each lamp. Also, my voltage reading jumps around all over the place. I figured I would deal with this after fixing the playfield GI unless it is all related.

Final weird thing. The white resistors just above CN 7 on the CPU seem to be getting fairly hot. Think that is unrelated because those are for lamp matrix (not GI). Still slightly concerned with how hot those are getting.

Thank you,
Hoser

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

The white resistors just above CN 7 on the CPU seem to be getting fairly hot. Think that is unrelated because those are for lamp matrix (not GI). Still slightly concerned with how hot those are getting.

That is normal. On williams machines we tend to replace those with wire jumpers and rework the driver transistors over to MOSfets... Normal, not a worry.

As for you GI readings.... The issue with GI and chasing them with a meter is that it is A/C and you will have voltages on both sides of wherever the break is..... It is a pain, just like an old set of christmas light, one goes out, they all go out.... Usually the best way to fix those is to visually trace the path of the wires and what you will usually find is that on one lamp socket the wire(s) have broken off. OR you look at the yellow wire connectors on the driver board and you will find one pin charred/grey/brown and in dire need of replacement. Very rarely do you need to break out a meter/scope to trace the problem.

#3 4 years ago

You didn't mention the PPB - remember that your playfield GI and backbox GI run from CN8 on the power supply to J5 on the PPB (where they are fused) and then off to the playfield and backbox. Check J5 on the PPB, and the fuses (F3 should be for your white-yellow) on the PPB as well.

#4 4 years ago

Bingo!!!! It was J5 on the PPB! Connector did not look burnt. I cleaned/sanded the pins for now. Problem got better. Then replaced the connector ... and voila ... steady GI everywhere including the Backbox!!!

Thank you for guidance!

Now I have a new problem: After installing a missing standup target in the middle of the playfield ... I have a new weird problem. NOT NECESSARILY RELATED THOUGH. When I boot up the machine my Autolaunch AND Middle VUK coils fire repeatedly.

NOW GET THIS: When I lower the playfield back into its playable position ... the problem goes away. When I lift it back up to inspect it ... the problem returns.

Ha ... I'm sure I'll find the problem soon. Just thought I would share this funny/quirky behavior.

Anywho ... thanks again for the help with J5!

#5 4 years ago

Is there a switch not gapped properly, too close that activates the VUK? Just throwing it out there...

#6 4 years ago

Might be looking for balls, as when you lift the playfield the trough switches go open and the game goes into ball search.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

Bingo!!!! It was J5 on the PPB! Connector did not look burnt. I cleaned/sanded the pins for now. Problem got better. Then replaced the connector ... and voila ... steady GI everywhere including the Backbox!!!
Thank you for guidance!
Now I have a new problem: After installing a missing standup target in the middle of the playfield ... I have a new weird problem. NOT NECESSARILY RELATED THOUGH. When I boot up the machine my Autolaunch AND Middle VUK coils fire repeatedly.
NOW GET THIS: When I lower the playfield back into its playable position ... the problem goes away. When I lift it back up to inspect it ... the problem returns.
Ha ... I'm sure I'll find the problem soon. Just thought I would share this funny/quirky behavior.
Anywho ... thanks again for the help with J5!

I would
pull that board and check the J5 header pins for cold cracked solder joints and reflow them. Your insert panel lights might work for a while but when things heat up they may go out again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside