(Topic ID: 192790)

Data east flippers swap williams flippers

By john17a

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4539 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Im sure its been asked b4 can i swap full flipper assemblies do i solder the lugs thd same im positive this would have been done before but with what results
    Thank you john

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from john17a:

Im sure its been asked b4 can i swap full flipper assemblies do i solder the lugs thd same im positive this would have been done before but with what results
    Thank you john

Your post is a little hard to follow.

Are you asking if you can take out the complete Data East flipper assemblies and replace them with Bally/Williams WPC (fliptronics) assemblies?

RussM

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from john17a:

Thank you john

You can put new stern flipper assemblies in straight up. But I wouldn't do Williams. For one thing the bushing isnt the same size between the bracket and the playfield and also the coils arent the same. Can't remember if the eos are the same or not (always open vs always closed). Stern flipper assemblies are a straight swap in however.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You can put new stern flipper assemblies in straight up. But I wouldn't do Williams. For one thing the bushing isnt the same size between the bracket and the playfield and also the coils arent the same. Can't remember if the eos are the same or not (always open vs always closed). Stern flipper assemblies are a straight swap in however.

You cannot swap DE and B/W assemblies. The wiring, theory of operation, very different. Deger vs Fliptronic

RM

#5 6 years ago

Was meaning the flipper assemblies not boards thanks one and all got a TFTC coming today and want to get any clunkiness out of it if present thank you all again

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

You cannot swap DE and B/W assemblies. The wiring, theory of operation, very different. Deger vs Fliptronic
    RM

Can plungers and links be interchanged if everything else is kept the same? I am looking at doing this as I have a couple of Sega assemblies and would like to replace the plungers and links with more readily available ones...

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from arolden:

Can plungers and links be interchanged if everything else is kept the same? I am looking at doing this as I have a couple of Sega assemblies and would like to replace the plungers and links with more readily available ones...

That may be possible but you have to be careful of how the end of stroke actuator on the crank interacts with the end of stroke switches.

The B/W and later Stern are offset and the DE switches are inline. Also DE/Sega/Stern end of stroke switches are normally closed and open only at the end of the stroke. B/W are the opposite.

The length of the plungers may also be different, which will change the amount of travel in the flippers.

RM

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

That may be possible but you have to be careful of how the end of stroke actuator on the crank interacts with the end of stroke switches.
    The B/W and later Stern are offset and the DE switches are inline. Also DE/Sega/Stern end of stroke switches are normally closed and open only at the end of the stroke. B/W are the opposite.
    The length of the plungers may also be different, which will change the amount of travel in the flippers.
    RM

I did some testing and found that the parts are compatible. Check it out here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballywilliams-flipper-parts-in-a-sega-flipper-assembly

1 week later
    #9 6 years ago

I have had great results changing from DE mechs to WMS. I still use the DE flipper board, coils and EOS. nothing more. So the wiring stays the same. The benefit is the clunky sound and feel and cheaper replacement parts. I replaced all three on my Tommy. It was at PAGG this year and was played non-stop the whole weekend. Since I used WMS bases i filled the old mount holes and repositioned the mounts for best fit. Here are a couple pics during the rebuild. The bats are in upside down just to keep the parts all together. Hope this helps out. Timathie

IMG_4539 (resized).JPGIMG_4539 (resized).JPG

IMG_4540 (resized).JPGIMG_4540 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

thanks again for everyones help will try this soon

3 years later
    #11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfus:

I have had great results changing from DE mechs to WMS. I still use the DE flipper board, coils and EOS. nothing more. So the wiring stays the same. The benefit is the clunky sound and feel and cheaper replacement parts. I replaced all three on my Tommy. It was at PAGG this year and was played non-stop the whole weekend. Since I used WMS bases i filled the old mount holes and repositioned the mounts for best fit. Here are a couple pics during the rebuild. The bats are in upside down just to keep the parts all together. Hope this helps out. Timathie

[quoted image][quoted image]

So I happen to have Tommy and was thinking about going ahead and changing out all 3 flippers to new ones just to make them like new again. They play fine but I have no idea how old they are. Do you have any links or anything on what you bought and what you did?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-flippers-swap-williams-flippers?hl=wolfus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.