You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-61.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just finished shopping a data east JP

I unplugged a couple things in the cab but nothing else, coils fire at random during play and flasher test runs random coils during that test ...

seems like a simple connection issue, but for the life of me "and maybe its because its my first DE" I cannot figure this one out

thanks for any ideas

Tj

#2 10 years ago

The transistors are multiplexed.

When this happens, usually reflowing the solder on the ppb board relay fixes it.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The transistors are multiplexed.
When this happens, usually reflowing the solder on the ppb board relay fixes it.

thats what I saw in the manual

thanks for the quick response i will give it a look

#4 10 years ago

Just reflows all header pins , Now looking at the power supply here is what I found ...

The not so funny thing is it worked before the shop out...

Why is the back of this power supply look like the Rockies ?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-61.jpgimage-61.jpg
#5 10 years ago

That's the power supply. The PPB is the one below the CPU and the power supply - will have a bunch of ceramic resistors on it, and a relay. Not sure if you reflowed the relay on the PPB as well. That's the one that usually causes this problem.

Burnt connectors are par for the course on the PS and PPB. Order the right parts and repair that, before it becomes a bigger problem. GPE has them.

09-18-5121 on this page goes on the board:
https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=98

03-09-1126 on this page goes on the wires:
https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=88

The pins are on this page:
https://greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=89

You'll want
02-09-1104 - Female
02-09-2103 - Male

#6 10 years ago

I re-flowed all the pins on the PPB board ...and that did not solve the problem ...

so i looked into the power supply ... the photos are what I found .. thanks for the links on the parts , I will order asap..

I have a flickering 445 in the back box , it seems like a leaky ground, strange speaker hum appears when changing bulbs,

#7 10 years ago

When going into flasher testing mode the lockout , ball shooter , VUK, upper right kick out, t-Rex kickout,and the diverter fire in that sequence .... Which is likely the coils that evolve to flashlamps ... I knew I disliked DE ..the manuals hard to follow for sure..

#8 10 years ago

So it's not just the pins. You need to reflow the solder on the 8 pads that connect the left/right relay on the PBB. The flashers are shared with the first 8 coils. See the coil chart where it has 7l/7r etc. These are controlled by q29 on the CPU board. This is a tip122. You can test for continuity from the tab of q29 to the wire in the harness directly below. Its a black wire with red stripe. If you don't have continuity there, reflow that pin on the CPU board. Next, follow the black with red striped wire to the PPB. Reflow that pin. Next reflow all 8 pins on the relay, itself. If this doesn't solve it, replace the relay.

#9 10 years ago

Right, you have to reflow the *relay* pins, not the connector pins.

#10 10 years ago

For the most part the guys have you covered as it seems there's a problem with the L/R relay not energizing during the flasher test which could also account for coils firing randomly during play. However, you should also be aware of this service bulletin in case after repairing the relay you still get random coils firing:

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb53.pdf

And if you don't have ROM version 5, you probably should get the set from John - at least until Chad finishes his code update.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

I have reflowed everything on the ppb ... Is there a way to test the relay? This game has a brand new rotten dog CPU I bought the game with this in it ...

#12 10 years ago

It is possible the logic that drives the relay is not working. Check the components in front of the relay. It is probably works like this. PIA -> 7408 for blanking -> 2n4401 to drive the relay.

PIA you should see high / low activity when the relay should be activating
7408 for blanking IC you should see high / low activitiy on the output when the relay activating
2n4401 same as above.

You can test the 7408 (or whatever TTL they may be using) and 2n4401 power off with diode test on your DMM.

#13 10 years ago

Its likely the relay has failed. I also gave more instructions and no evidence any of that was considered. I'm not typing it again. Look above for q29. It should tell you how to trace this from the CPU board. Check continuity of the wiring from CPU board to ppb board as state above. You can test the relay also by shorting the tip of q29 to ground and see if the relay fires. If not, and you've reflowed and tested all the continuity above, I would replace the relay. If it does, I would assume issue is in CPU board.

#14 10 years ago

I grounded out the tab on q29 and got no switch relay action ..SO, I took the new rotten dog mpu out to replace q29 and realized I had none .. So I put the board back in , grounded the metal tab and got action on the relay , tested for continuity and got none OK this might be good

Tested flashers all seem good !!

Must have been a shitty connection in the mpu

Thanks to all for the support and knowledge ...

Now to get rid of the white noise or hum

Tj

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-flasher-test-operating-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.