• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billc479
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello,
I'm looking for some advice or tutorial on how to put new drop targets in a 1989 Data East. There are two three bank drop target mechanisms with only one target being broken . I just ordered all six targets thinking I might as well replace them all. It looks like it could be a simple job but I'm still a noob with anything other than changing bulbs. Thanks in advance for any info .

#2 3 years ago

My best advice is to pull the assembly from your machine so you can work on it at the bench.
Most people say that just cleaning it up and replacing the drops will work wonders.
I haven't done it to my DE Star trek; but, "one of these days"

#3 3 years ago

Thanks. I've seen a post that says it's only 4 screws and de-solder the coil wires to remove assembly but after that I'm just not sure what to do. I figured someone would have a step by step process for at least changing out the targets but I haven't seen it here or on Youtube.

#4 3 years ago

As Zitt said, pull the assembly. Flip the targets down and push the lift bar to push them back up; watch how the assembly works and you’ll see it’s super simple to replace the targets.

And again per Zitt, you’ll definitely want to clean it, especially if someone previously used a lubricant on it.

If memory serves, replacing the targets on the DE assembly just involves removing the target retaining bracket which runs across the lower front(?) and then removing the spring from each target, then they slip right out. I found it handy to have a hooked pick to reinstall the new springs.

#5 3 years ago

I rarely see a step by step guide unless vid1900 did one.
Feel free to create one, im sure someone would need it after you.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Zitt and Blackjacker.
I'll give it a try using your logical method. I do wish vid1900 made a step by step. With his help, I was able to rebuild flippers without any prior experience.

#7 3 years ago

Sabre
Since you’ve rebuilt flipper assemblies, this is just as straight forward. I would advise taking lots of pictures of Each step, including a picture of the assembly before removing from the playfield. Make sure the pics are clear enough to see the colors and which lug they go on. Take pics at each step going back together, too.

Before removing the targets, take pics of the assembly with the targets up and down so you have a reference point in case of trouble.

Finally, after a successful job, post your own “How To”.

Good luck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-drop-target- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.