IMG_9271 (resized).jpg
IMG_9457 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

DMD DE Hook

DMD document conflict
According to the DE Hook Dot Matrix Display Schematics,

R18 should be 4.7k but tests at 3.27k ... then

R19 thru R22 should be 3.9k but all four test at 1k

These look untouched, factory installed. When I found R18 out of spec, I figured that was the cause of my display issue. But with R19 - R22 being dead on at 1k but should be 3.9k, it makes me wonder if there was a change in values that aren’t reflected in the DE Hook Schematics. All other resistors check good with the schematics, including the notorious R95 at 33k.

The display works perfect during game play and passes the display test. However, the letter "T" is missing in the phrase "Try again" first appears, but the Letter "T" will appear just as the phrase splits and moves off the DMD. The other location is the square Count Down timer will be there sometimes, and sometimes not. Leads me to believe is processing data issue.
I’m looking for help, clarification from anyone who may understand why the resistor differences.. should change the resistors to solve my display issue.
IMG_9270 (resized).jpgIMG_9270 (resized).jpgIMG_9271 (resized).jpgIMG_9271 (resized).jpgIMG_9457 (resized).jpgIMG_9457 (resized).jpg
This last photo ( zoomed in) is from a DMD sold on eBay and it has yet a different value resistor at R18 compared to my DMD and the schematics

961B4AF1-860E-4A5D-B153-060B48509470 (resized).jpeg961B4AF1-860E-4A5D-B153-060B48509470 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

a faulty component, say an associated IC can cause a resistor value to change when the resistor is in fact okay.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for responding. After my last post, I confirmed the color bands match the resistors tests, for the most part. For some reason they don’t match the schematics. Were they substituted during manufacturing or a different design. A few are beyond the 1% accuracy and I’m trying to decide if I should change them to what the schematics shows.

#4 1 year ago

possibly your board has been swapped out at some point in time?

the soldering does look original.

I didn't see any Service Bulletins on IPDB for Hook.

I saw other 3.9K resistors on the board, 98/99 maybe? are yours?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-dmd-resistor- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.