(Topic ID: 94399)

Data East DMD - lines on display (video)

By PoMC

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PoMC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

What could be causing those few lines appearing on the DMD of my Lethal Weapon 3? What can I check out?

#2 6 years ago

Turn game off. Then reseat all the ribbon cables . Also could be 'chip creep' on the display board reseat all chips may help. Ribbon cables the biggest offender that I have found though

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. I did reseat all the cables and this problem persisted after I upgraded the ROMs to latest version. I'll take a look at replacing the cables, or seeing if I have the same cables in SST or TFTC, and test using a known working set. Thanks for the idea.

#4 6 years ago

Also the cpu tells the dmd what to display and when so check your game rom and cables there too. Make sure to upgrade the cpu chip to latest also for best operation or weird stuff can happen if not matched to the display romsets

#5 6 years ago

I just swapped the ribbon cable with TFTC and still have the lines. Then I decided to swap the DMDs and the LW3 DMD still had the lines when installed in TFTC. So that would at least isolate the issue to the DMD. The issue was there when I got the game and upgrading the display ROMs did not eliminate the lines.

#6 6 years ago

The braided ground wire was getting frayed so I made new ground wires that connected the DMD and speakers to the backbox. Didn't help, but needed to be done at least.

#7 6 years ago

Sounds like the board may need rebuilt or maybe need a new screen

#8 6 years ago

Get a new dmd is the only way unfortunately. They cannot be repaired cost effectively.

#9 6 years ago

Selling the game anyway. The DMD never bothered me, but since I was getting ready to sell it, figured I'd see if it was a relatively easy fix.

#10 6 years ago

Could low 12v from on the power supply board be causing the issue? Getting 10.7v using the test points on the board. Getting -14 on the -12v test point. 5v is fine.

Measurements on the P1 connector on the DMD are in parenthesis. You can see pin 1 and 2 are quite a bit low.

P1 pin 1: -110 volts (100v)
P1 pin 2: -98 volts (90v)
P1 pin 3: KEY
P1 pin 4: Ground
P1 pin 5: Ground
P1 pin 6: +5 volts (4.99v)
P1 pin 7: +12 volts (11.9v)
P1 pin 8: +68 volts (70v)

#11 6 years ago

That looks like a shift register problem on the DMD board (on the panel itself, not the controller in the machine). The stray pixels move vertically with the scrolling content, which suggests row bits are not shifting through the column registers properly.

New DMD is mostly likely needed, unless you have a digital logic analyzer and can determine which register is bad. Alternatively, you could simply replace all the registers associated with the wonky columns, which might also fix it. That's likely surface-mount soldering though, which most people aren't equipped to do.

Your voltages are a little off, and the power supply could probably use rebuilding, but I doubt that would cause what you're seeing (especially since you confirmed it by swapping the panel to another game).

#12 6 years ago

Ok thanks a bunch for that info. Just wanted to be sure I checked everything I was capable of before putting it up for sale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside