5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RoyF
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3EE41799-165F-480E-B525-F6699397E368 (resized).png
    9B419E29-D6DB-4025-AD91-23A36926EA2D (resized).png
    7DFBCDCC-1C70-481D-B7E3-7434AF47D8C3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

There is a ribbon cable from the CPU to the DMD controller, and then a much smaller ribbon cable from the DMD controller to the actual DMD. Either of them could be a problem. After removing them, check the male header pins very carefully for any corrosion. No idea how it happened on mine (no onboard batteries and no corrosion elsewhere), but I got some header pin corrosion on my DMD controller board, just at the connection for the ribbon cable from DMD controller to DMD. I replaced the header, but still not good, corrosion had invisibly gotten into the cable. Replaced the small cable between the DMD and DMD controller, plus also the longer cable from CPU to DMD controller and everything now works fine.

If you need them, Ed at GPE can sell you the ribbon cables at a very good price. Ask him for 130-214-007 (Ribbon Cable, 14 Conductor, 7", works as DataEast DMD to DMD controller cable) and 130-326-056 (Ribbon Cable, 26 Conductor, 56", works as DataEast CPU to DMD cable). These part numbers don't exactly match (last 2 digits) what you see on Ed's site, but those are the numbers from my order and if you ask Ed he'll make them to these custom lengths for you. Less than $10 plus shipping for the pair. Hope that helps.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RoyF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-dmd-issue-weird?tu=RoyF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.