7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dedsprom (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

After getting my LW3 working (replaced a power supply: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-dmd-possible-power-issue-1), I now find that after a little while of running, the bottom right of the DMD with "free play" and ball count gets corrupted. Video here:

My guess is that now with slightly higher voltage on +5 (I think 5.14, versus 4.94 with the old power supply), some RAM on the DMD CPU board is unhappy. I think replacing a RAM chip there might be the best next step.

Does that sound right? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

#2 7 years ago

I had the same problem with my LW3.I purchased the updated eproms for the MPU version 2.08 and display driver version 2.06 from John Wart Jr and that cured it. His stuff is on eBay if you want to go that route or contact him from this site. The old display driver setup used 2 eproms and the newer version has 1 eprom. The new one is for ROM 0 in the U 12 position.R11 must be cut out for proper operation.. It is a zero ohm resister/ jumper wire.

#3 7 years ago

Interesting...My LW3 does something similar too. I'll post a video tomorrow.
When I bought it, it came with a new rottendog mpu installed. Think I'm in the same boat?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Think I'm in the same boat?

Yep. The garbled text only occurs in free play mode. If set to coin use it looks fine.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from mikat11:

I had the same problem with my LW3.I purchased the updated eproms for the MPU version 2.08 and display driver version 2.06 from John Wart Jr and that cured it. His stuff is on eBay if you want to go that route or contact him from this site. The old display driver setup used 2 eproms and the newer version has 1 eprom. The new one is for ROM 0 in the U 12 position.R11 must be cut out for proper operation.. It is a zero ohm resister/ jumper wire.

Aha! I'm glad others are/were in the same boat! I just IMed John Wart Jr to see if he had these; thanks!

Found this page now since posting this response:

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/de.html

Which one did you buy, mikat11? "USA CPU 2.08 (C5), USA Display 2.06 (ROM 0)"?

thanks!!

#6 7 years ago

Yea those are the versions you need.

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

FYI, I installed the Pinball Place ROMs last night (had to cut R11, moving from two to one display ROM), and it fixed the issue.

I'm a bit sad that it says "TRI-BALL" now instead of "MULTI-BALL", but at least it works!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

FYI, I installed the Pinball Place ROMs last night (had to cut R11, moving from two to one display ROM), and it fixed the issue.
I'm a bit sad that it says "TRI-BALL" now instead of "MULTI-BALL", but at least it works!

Took this image from online... You had to cut that resistor or whatever out? Anything else?
dedsprom (resized).jpgdedsprom (resized).jpg

1 week later
#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Took this image from online... You had to cut that resistor or whatever out? Anything else?

Yep, I found a doc explaining it, but yes that's all I did, was cut one of the legs on the R11 resistor.

I covered the lead in electric tape instead of cutting it out completely, in case I had to put it back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-dmd-display-corruption and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.