By johnstewart

7 months ago

Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by johnstewart
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dedsprom (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

After getting my LW3 working (replaced a power supply: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-lw3-dmd-possible-power-issue-1), I now find that after a little while of running, the bottom right of the DMD with "free play" and ball count gets corrupted. Video here:

» YouTube video

My guess is that now with slightly higher voltage on +5 (I think 5.14, versus 4.94 with the old power supply), some RAM on the DMD CPU board is unhappy. I think replacing a RAM chip there might be the best next step.

Does that sound right? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

#2 7 months ago

I had the same problem with my LW3.I purchased the updated eproms for the MPU version 2.08 and display driver version 2.06 from John Wart Jr and that cured it. His stuff is on eBay if you want to go that route or contact him from this site. The old display driver setup used 2 eproms and the newer version has 1 eprom. The new one is for ROM 0 in the U 12 position.R11 must be cut out for proper operation.. It is a zero ohm resister/ jumper wire.

#3 7 months ago

Interesting...My LW3 does something similar too. I'll post a video tomorrow.
When I bought it, it came with a new rottendog mpu installed. Think I'm in the same boat?

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Think I'm in the same boat?

Yep. The garbled text only occurs in free play mode. If set to coin use it looks fine.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from mikat11:

I had the same problem with my LW3.I purchased the updated eproms for the MPU version 2.08 and display driver version 2.06 from John Wart Jr and that cured it. His stuff is on eBay if you want to go that route or contact him from this site. The old display driver setup used 2 eproms and the newer version has 1 eprom. The new one is for ROM 0 in the U 12 position.R11 must be cut out for proper operation.. It is a zero ohm resister/ jumper wire.

Aha! I'm glad others are/were in the same boat! I just IMed John Wart Jr to see if he had these; thanks!

Found this page now since posting this response:

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/de.html

Which one did you buy, mikat11? "USA CPU 2.08 (C5), USA Display 2.06 (ROM 0)"?

thanks!!

#6 7 months ago

Yea those are the versions you need.

2 weeks later
#7 6 months ago

FYI, I installed the Pinball Place ROMs last night (had to cut R11, moving from two to one display ROM), and it fixed the issue.

I'm a bit sad that it says "TRI-BALL" now instead of "MULTI-BALL", but at least it works!

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from johnstewart:

FYI, I installed the Pinball Place ROMs last night (had to cut R11, moving from two to one display ROM), and it fixed the issue.
I'm a bit sad that it says "TRI-BALL" now instead of "MULTI-BALL", but at least it works!

Took this image from online... You had to cut that resistor or whatever out? Anything else?
dedsprom (resized).jpg

1 week later
#9 6 months ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Took this image from online... You had to cut that resistor or whatever out? Anything else?

Yep, I found a doc explaining it, but yes that's all I did, was cut one of the legs on the R11 resistor.

I covered the lead in electric tape instead of cutting it out completely, in case I had to put it back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wahpeton, ND
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 6.95
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 199.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.