Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by vec-tor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

So now that I have a proper working bench power supply, I'm able to see what this DE MPU is doing wrong.

With a game rom in socket, +5v on, PIA on-off quick, Blanking on, then blanking drops out after about 3 seconds.

With Leon's test rom in socket, on boot, I get about 2-3 relay clicks of the PIAs doing there thing, then crash, but sometimes more or less.... IRQ drops low about 3 seconds after the last click.

With no rom in socket, 2 volts on all address lines for about 3 seconds, then they all go high.

Identical behavior with another known working CPU.

Address line short? Chip selection? PIA?

#2 4 years ago

I first would check continuity on all CPU traces...
Then I would check RAM...

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I first would check continuity on all CPU traces...
Then I would check RAM...

I've swapped RAM with ramtron 1608. I also buzzed this board out about 3 times prior, so good there.

I was just curious if this partial working behavior was typical of one section, like bad 74ls244s, 245, chip selection ICs. I've repaired a similar issues, but they were less complicated to debug because they were obvious to spot.

#4 4 years ago

i replaced the cpu socket and it is more consistent now, but still hangs...Replacing ROM and RAM sockets now.

#5 4 years ago

Got Leon's test running. Isolated it down to the display PIA @ 11B. The LED pin at pin 6 there was randomly firing, and pins 2-5 are completely dead on it. Could be more involved, but starting here as it is the most likely cause since the decoder & led lines are isolated.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Got Leon's test running. Isolated it down to the display PIA @ 11B. The LED pin at pin 6 there was randomly firing, and pins 2-5 are completely dead on it. Could be more involved, but starting here as it is the most likely cause since the decoder & led lines are isolated.

I was reading up on the test chip you are using...
If everything else is good you could have a flaky PIA/PIAs.
I had to replace three PIAs on a Data East Simpsons pinball
one time to get it to work... They were used to drive the
display circuity... some tech shorted the display and...BOOM.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I was reading up on the test chip you are using...
If everything else is good you could have a flaky PIA/PIAs.
I had to replace three PIAs on a Data East Simpsons pinball
one time to get it to work... They were used to drive the
display circuity... some tech shorted the display and...BOOM.

I got lucky this time and it was just a bad RAM socket, which has been the case historically for me with any intermittent issues like this (bad sockets). Thanks for the input.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I got lucky this time and it was just a bad RAM socket, which has been the case historically for me with any intermittent issues like this (bad sockets). Thanks for the input.

Excellent!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-de-mpu-debug-crashing-cpu?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.